Shanahan might keep backup QB safe, healthy
BY FRANK SCHWAB, THE GAZETTE
the gazette
August 29, 2007

ENGLEWOOD -- If Denver Broncos backup quarterback Patrick Ramsey doesn’t play tonight, it will reflect how quickly he learned coach Mike Shanahan’s offensive system.

Every year the Broncos hold starters and some key backups out of the final preseason game. Denver finishes the preseason tonight at Invesco Field at Mile High against Arizona. Although Ramsey is in his first season with the Broncos, Shanahan said he might sit and stay healthy for the season.

“Do you give your second-team quarterback more (repetitions), or do you feel good enough about him that you want him to sit?” Shanahan said. “If he did get a sprained ankle or something like that, do hurt yourself going into the (season)? Those are the things you ask each other, that we talk about before the last game of the preseason.”

The last time the Broncos held their backup quarterback out of the preseason finale was 2003, when Steve Beuerlein didn’t play. Danny Kanell played in 2004, Bradlee Van Pelt played in 2005 and Jay Cutler played last year.
Shanahan has said he is impressed at how well Ramsey, who has played five NFL seasons, has picked up the offense. Ramsey has completed 23 of 42 passes for 313 yards in three games. He has three touchdowns and an interception.

If that’s good enough for Shanahan, Darrell Hackney will probably play most of the game.

Hackney has been Denver’s third-string quarterback this preseason. Preston Parsons, who spent last year on the practice squad, has been the fourth quarterback.

“It’s an opportunity to show people what I can do and that I can play in the NFL,” Hackney said.

Hackney was undrafted in 2006 and was signed by Cleveland. He was cut before the season and was out of football last year. Denver signed him in January.

Hackney performed well early in training camp, which gave him a chance to play in the preseason. He played in the fourth quarter of Denver’s first two games, and completed 4 of 9 passes for 29 yards and an interception. Even if Ramsey plays tonight, Hackney should get in well before the fourth quarter.

“I feel impressed with what I’ve done,” Hackney said. “A lot of players have told me they’re impressed with what I’ve done. They didn’t know I could do that.”

Hackney will have a tough time winning a roster spot no matter how well he plays tonight. The Broncos’ philosophy the past few years has been to keep two quarterbacks on the active roster. However, Shanahan has said repeatedly that he will keep the best 53 players, even if that includes a third quarterback.

“My mind-set is to make the 53-man roster, no matter what it takes,” Hackney said.

http://www.gazette.com/sports/hackne..._shanahan.html