Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Penalty for excessive crowd noise

Adopted Bronco:
    Ron Dayne

Default Penalty for excessive crowd noise

I remember like 15 years ago where there instances in which the referee would ask the home crowd to quiet down because the visiting team could not call out their signals, and the home team would be called for a penalty if they crowd did not quiet down.

As far as I know this rule is still in effect, but no quarterback has gone to refs complaining of late.

2. The Following User High Fived sneakers For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Joe Mays

Quote Originally Posted by sneakers View Post
    I remember like 15 years ago where there instances in which the referee would ask the home crowd to quiet down because the visiting team could not call out their signals, and the home team would be called for a penalty if they crowd did not quiet down.

As far as I know this rule is still in effect, but no quarterback has gone to refs complaining of late.
    I think thats where the ear pieces/head sets in the QB's helmet originally came from.

Adopted Bronco:
    The Albino Rhino

I don't think the rule is still in place, having been replaced by modern technology however the rule rarely worked anyway because once the crowd saw that it was affecting the opposition, it just made them shout louder.

But, speaking of crowds, did anyone find out what the long delay was about when we were down near the Oakland goal line in the fourth quarter? I was at a bar watching with the sound off but there were cops milling around on the field and in the stands and play was delayed about 10 minutes.

Did somebody throw an object at Marshall? If so, what was it?
    I miss the old Mile High Stadium.

5. The Following User High Fived OrangeHoof For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Paul George

Quote Originally Posted by OrangeHoof View Post
    I don't think the rule is still in place, having been replaced by modern technology however the rule rarely worked anyway because once the crowd saw that it was affecting the opposition, it just made them shout louder.

But, speaking of crowds, did anyone find out what the long delay was about when we were down near the Oakland goal line in the fourth quarter? I was at a bar watching with the sound off but there were cops milling around on the field and in the stands and play was delayed about 10 minutes.

Did somebody throw an object at Marshall? If so, what was it?
    Somebody had a laser pointer shining at the team from the stands.

I never knew this rule existed... I think if they actually called that penalty the boo's would be deafening.

McDaniels Supporter

Go Broncos

8. The Following User High Fived Hoser For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Eric Decker And D Thomas

Yep, back when teams were petrified to play in Denver. Now they probably look at their schedule and go: "yes! we get to shit on the Broncos after a fast start! I love mile high saluting to Denver fans in their own house, I'm a pissburg squeeler!"

OK, I'm ranting, but I KNOW you mad.

10. The Following User High Fived KyleOrtonArmySoldier#128 For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Phillip "TD" Lindsay

Yes, the ruled did exist at least at one time. However, I'm not sure that its still on the books. Whenever the rule was applied, it only motivated the crowd to get rowdier by confirming that their rowdiness was affecting their opponent. However, even though the games were frequently paused, I think there was only one occasion that I can remember the refs actually imposing the penalty. I think that it was officially a 15 yards unsportsmanlike conduct, but don't hold me to that. The ear peaces in the QBs’ helmet do nothing for the other 10 players who can't hear his audibles and snap count.

The solution for dealing with crowd noise is 2 fold: First, by practicing in "noise domes." All NFL teams, including the Broncos, have a special domed practice facility that they use in preparation for road game. Especially if that are going to be playing in a domed stadium. They pump loud recordings of crowd noise into the facility during their practice in order that they can get used to functioning in that kind of environment.

These special practice facilities give them the opportunity to practice the 2nd part of the solution, the silent snap count. This is done by the center looking between his legs at the QB waiting for the signal. Once he gets it, he looks back up like normal which gives his teams the signal that the play starts in however many seconds were told them in the huddle.

Even before all of this, there was one very effective way suggested by game commentators for dealing with crowd noise. Jump out on your opponent early and the crowd will never be able to get themselves into the game.
    I’m an Autistic Self-Advocate. If you have any questions about Autism/Asperger’s, feel free to ask. I’m not offended by any question asked by anyone who has a genuine desire to understand us better.

https://aacphoenix.com/

Adopted Bronco:
    The Albino Rhino

I think it was five yards for delay of game against the home team, not 15 yards.
    I miss the old Mile High Stadium.

Adopted Bronco:
    Von Miller, Peyton's Neck

From the NFL Rules Digest:

Loss of team time out(s) or five-yard penalty on the defense for excessive crowd noise.

So it seems it is still in the books, they just don't call it.

http://www.nfl.com/rulebook/penaltysummaries
    Thanks Shake!

It’s really great posts.

15. The Following User High Fived Zaswpocler For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Ray Finkel

Wow

Necromancer!
    Quote Originally Posted by King87 View Post
    All must hail NostraTimmy!
    Quote Originally Posted by chazoe60 View Post
    Nostratimmy was right again. All hail nostratimmy.
    Quote Originally Posted by MOtorboat View Post
    I’m the hobbit.

18. The Following User High Fived Timmy! For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Ron Dayne

20. The Following User High Fived sneakers For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Mighty Quinn

Kyle Orton Army?
    "Tuning ... into each other ... lift all higher”
    “I’m just different!”

Sign Garbage Minshew.

Draft
    1st round— Cooper Dejean CB
    2nd round— Jack Sawyer OLB
    3rd round— Will Shipley RB
    4th round— Ricky Pearsall WR
    5th round— Ladd McKonkey WR
    6th round— Cash Jones RB
    7th round— Carson Steele RB

Yeah, the NFL doesn't call that anymore. Little known fact - under college rules the bands are subject to the rule book and can be penalized. In fact, our crew penalized a band during the playoffs last year. There was a pretty large uproar about it and the band even had shirts made up to raise money. The fans just didn't understand the rule. It was kind of funny.

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/h...on-5006543.php
    “If there are no animals in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.” - Will Rogers (paraphrased)

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information