Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Offical Chicago Cubs Thread

Adopted Bronco:
    Rockwell Moreno

Quote Originally Posted by CoachChaz View Post
    .377 obp, .808 OPS and 50 SB's is a "good" leadoff hitter?

You keep trying to minimalize this whole thing to convince yourself it's a bad deal, but until the Cubs make smart moves like this as opposed to spending money on FA's every year...thery're screwed.
    Thats a very good season but theres not guarantee he will do that again. And Im not trying to minimalize anything. All I really would like him for is to lead off and not give up the farm for him...and honestly, I dont think he is worth what theyre asking.

Dont be upset just because Im not enamored with your guy the same way you are.

Alright, I'm not gonna troll, so you won't hear from me again, but I have to say it once:
    --------
    Hot damn I hate the Cubs! 95% of their fanbase wanders around and can't name the starting right fielder. They're all wearing their Prior and Sosa jerseys, oblivious to the fact they are long gone. There are some good Cubs fans, I am friends with a few. But the rest, the uneducated trolls, and the most insufferable group of fans in the country! Cubs fans are the sole reason I hate the Bears.
    --------
    Have a good day guys, and here's some good competition in the NL Central, it's gonna be interesting. Go Brewers.
    "You do not mess with Pat Bowlen, and you definitely do not ignore him''

Link to quote

Adopted Bronco:
    Derek Wolfe

The Brewers should have been contracted a few years ago. What a joke. Include the Marlins and Rays while your at it.

The Cubbies do have a lot of fans that go to Wrigley to party. However, I sure see a lot of Cubs fans in Milwaukee when they play the Brewers or when I have gone to Houston to see a Cubs-Astros series almost 1/4 of the fans are wearing Cubs colors.

Adopted Bronco:

Quote Originally Posted by lex View Post
    Thats a very good season but theres not guarantee he will do that again. And Im not trying to minimalize anything. All I really would like him for is to lead off and not give up the farm for him...and honestly, I dont think he is worth what theyre asking.

Dont be upset just because Im not enamored with your guy the same way you are.
    LOL...I'm not the one refusing to give up a 4th outfielder, hack 2nd baseman and unproven pitcher for an All-Star 2nd baseman. Truth be told, I'd rather keep Roberts than trade him for that sorry package. Good luck getting anyone on base for Lee and Ramirez to drive in. Theriot and Soriano and their whopping .330 OBPs aren't going to cut it.

5. The Following User High Fived CoachChaz For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Derek Wolfe

I'm not in love with Roberts either. But the Cubs have to get some guys on base at the top of the order, especially in the playoffs. My heart can't take another playoff series like last year.

I'm hoping Fukadome is as advertised and can hit #1 or 2. Then Theriot can slip down in the lineup.

Adopted Bronco:
    Rockwell Moreno

Quote Originally Posted by studbucket View Post
    Alright, I'm not gonna troll, so you won't hear from me again, but I have to say it once:
    --------
    Hot damn I hate the Cubs! 95% of their fanbase wanders around and can't name the starting right fielder. They're all wearing their Prior and Sosa jerseys, oblivious to the fact they are long gone. There are some good Cubs fans, I am friends with a few. But the rest, the uneducated trolls, and the most insufferable group of fans in the country! Cubs fans are the sole reason I hate the Bears.
    --------
    Have a good day guys, and here's some good competition in the NL Central, it's gonna be interesting. Go Brewers.
    If theres anyone that should hold a grudge its Cubs fans. Both the White Sox and the Brewers have been leeching off of Cubs fans. Most years, when the Cubs play at Milwaukee, its mostly Cubs fans...they moved to the national league so they can profit from playing the Cubs.

Adopted Bronco:
    Rockwell Moreno

LOL...I'm not the one refusing to give up a 4th outfielder, hack 2nd baseman and unproven pitcher for an All-Star 2nd baseman. Truth be told, I'd rather keep Roberts than trade him for that sorry package. Good luck getting anyone on base for Lee and Ramirez to drive in. Theriot and Soriano and their whopping .330 OBPs aren't going to cut it.
    Like I said, dont get upset just because Im not enamored with your second baseman. Im perfectly willing to see how Pie does. Roberts may not even be necessary.

Adopted Bronco:
    Dre Bly

He has a good OBP, typically a decent AVG, and can steal a base...which is a need. I wouldnt call him premier though. Its more about complimentary skills but what Baltimore is asking is too much. Id gladly trade a pitcher and Murton, though. But not 2 pitchers.
    When theres a lack of 2B's out there that are good, hes premiere. The guy is one of the best 2Bs in the league right now.

Thats Fantabulous~~Sterling Sharpe

Adopted Bronco:
    Dre Bly

No, because we'd be targeting a lead off hitter. The fact that he plays 2B is secondary. We need a leadoff hitter more than we need a 2B.

Sorry, its only worth Gallagher or Marshall and Murton. Its more important for the Cubs to ask what its worth for them to acquire a leadoff hitter than it is to evaluate whats fair for Baltimore to ask. If Baltimore is asking more than what its worth in terms of the Cubs satisfying a need, then they shouldnt pull the trigger.

Again, we need a lead off hitter more than a 2B.

Easy for you to say. Youre not subjected to the day-to-day reporting that goes on with the Cubs and Ive already had my fill of the steroids thing and you know its going to come up where Roberts is concerned when theres a slow news day. That kind of stuff may not make its way to where you are but its prevalent here and Id rather not be subjected to it. Like I said, Pie actually might do well in the leadoff spot. We need to wait and see though.
    Let them have Patterson as well, hes not going to be anything special. time and time again we save players who we think will be good and are not. There is nothing special about Patterson.

Adopted Bronco:
    Dre Bly

DeRosa is okay offensively, but still not what Roberts is. Add to the fact his fielding is suspect and he's 32. Fontenot is nothing but a back-up and has hands of stone. Theriot has speed but offers nothing offensively unless he gets walked.

So basically, you are betting that Patterson or Cedeno are the answer.

With Roberts, you upgrade your leadoff spot, SB's, 2nd base defense and offensive production from the position. So, for a top 4 2nd baseman, you aren't willing to give up a maybe in Patterson, your 4th outfielder in Murton and one of 2 young prospect pitchers that won't even see the mound this year because of the rotation of Zambrano, Marquis, Lilly, Lieber and one of Gallagher or Marshall.

That is the definition of being a homer. To be honest, as an Oriole fan, I'd be hesitant to accept that deal for Roberts to begin with, so it surprises me that a Cub fan would turn it down.
    DeRosa's defense is bad?

Ummm, I think not.

Adopted Bronco:
    Rockwell Moreno

Quote Originally Posted by Cutler6MVP View Post
    When theres a lack of 2B's out there that are good, hes premiere. The guy is one of the best 2Bs in the league right now.
    http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/premier

Adopted Bronco:
    Rockwell Moreno

DeRosa's defense is bad?

Ummm, I think not.
    This is what Im saying. We need a leadoff hitter more than a second baseman. If Pie pulls through, we'd be able to hold on to our pitcher(s).

Adopted Bronco:
    Rockwell Moreno

Ive been in the waiting room several hours now.

Adopted Bronco:
    Dre Bly

You're looking at the term premiere with too much depth. Im using it rather loosely. Would you call Matt Holliday a premier OF? I think I would, and hes not the BEST at his position.

Adopted Bronco:
    Rockwell Moreno

You're looking at the term premiere with too much depth. Im using it rather loosely. Would you call Matt Holliday a premier OF? I think I would, and hes not the BEST at his position.
    I wouldnt use the word "elite" in that case. Yes, I would say Holliday is an elite outfielder. At least he was last season.

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information