Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Offical Chicago Cubs Thread

Adopted Bronco:
    Rockwell Moreno

Quote Originally Posted by Cutler6MVP View Post
    So what, neither of those pitchers are better than a #3 or #4 starter if that. Id would happily trade away those players for a player of Roberts caliber.

We need a leadoff hitter, and someone who can steal some bases, espically with Soriano still hurting.
    OK, you act like the #3 and #4 starters arent important. And besides, Felix Pie might enter the fold this year.

Adopted Bronco:
    Rockwell Moreno

Quote Originally Posted by CoachChaz View Post
    Between the Atros trade, the Seattle trade and their own farm system, the O's a FULL of young arms. While Gallagher and Marshall are a more immediate fix, they don't really need more young pitching. A deal for Roberts may include one of the two, but will also have to include 2 of either Murton, Pie, Patterson
    Keep dreaming on Pie. You can have Murton though.

Adopted Bronco:
    Dre Bly

Quote Originally Posted by lex View Post
    OK, you act like the #3 and #4 starters arent important. And besides, Felix Pie might enter the fold this year.
    Not when youre getting a premiere 2B like Roberts. We can get a buttload of #3's and #4's. Let them go.

Thats Fantabulous~~Sterling Sharpe

Adopted Bronco:
    Dre Bly

Keep dreaming on Pie. You can have Murton though.
    The Cubs already said they will not budge on Pie.

Adopted Bronco:
    Derek Wolfe

Is that idiot Pinella still planing on a lineup where he has Soriano hitting 1st, then Theriot, then Lee, then Ramirez, followed up by Fukadome? Why the hell is Fukadome hitting 5th when neither Soriano or Theriot have great OBP's? Oh, because Soriano is fast and he doesn't want to hurt his ego having him hit 2nd. Kinda like playing Soriano in CF.

Adopted Bronco:
    Rockwell Moreno

Not when youre getting a premiere 2B like Roberts. We can get a buttload of #3's and #4's. Let them go.
    Im not so sure he's a premier player.

Adopted Bronco:
    Dre Bly

Im not so sure he's a premier player.
    You need to go back and look at his stats then my friend.

Adopted Bronco:
    Rockwell Moreno

You need to go back and look at his stats then my friend.
    He has a good OBP, typically a decent AVG, and can steal a base...which is a need. I wouldnt call him premier though. Its more about complimentary skills but what Baltimore is asking is too much. Id gladly trade a pitcher and Murton, though. But not 2 pitchers.

Adopted Bronco:

He has a good OBP, typically a decent AVG, and can steal a base...which is a need. I wouldnt call him premier though. Its more about complimentary skills but what Baltimore is asking is too much. Id gladly trade a pitcher and Murton, though. But not 2 pitchers.
    I'm an Orioles fan first and probably a Cubs fan 2nd. As an O's fan, I'd hate to lose Roberts. When you refer to him as a premier player, you have to look at his stats amongst other 2nd basemen and amongst leadoff hitters.

With all the arms we got in the other 2 trades, we don't need alot more, but one of Gallagher or Marshall will HAVE to be a part of the deal. If Pie is untouchable, then the Cubs would have to add Murton and probably Patterson. Remember...this is one of the best 2nd basemen in the game. After Utley, Phillips, Cano, Polanco...he's easily a top 5 player at the position and unlike the others...he can leadoff and steal bases regularly.

I really don't want them to deal him, but if they do...I'd prefer to see him with the Cubs

Adopted Bronco:
    Rockwell Moreno

I'm an Orioles fan first and probably a Cubs fan 2nd. As an O's fan, I'd hate to lose Roberts. When you refer to him as a premier player, you have to look at his stats amongst other 2nd basemen and amongst leadoff hitters.
    No, because we'd be targeting a lead off hitter. The fact that he plays 2B is secondary. We need a leadoff hitter more than we need a 2B.

With all the arms we got in the other 2 trades, we don't need alot more, but one of Gallagher or Marshall will HAVE to be a part of the deal. If Pie is untouchable, then the Cubs would have to add Murton and probably Patterson.
    Sorry, its only worth Gallagher or Marshall and Murton. Its more important for the Cubs to ask what its worth for them to acquire a leadoff hitter than it is to evaluate whats fair for Baltimore to ask. If Baltimore is asking more than what its worth in terms of the Cubs satisfying a need, then they shouldnt pull the trigger.

Remember...this is one of the best 2nd basemen in the game. After Utley, Phillips, Cano, Polanco...he's easily a top 5 player at the position and unlike the others...he can leadoff and steal bases regularly.
    Again, we need a lead off hitter more than a 2B.

I really don't want them to deal him, but if they do...I'd prefer to see him with the Cubs
    Easy for you to say. Youre not subjected to the day-to-day reporting that goes on with the Cubs and Ive already had my fill of the steroids thing and you know its going to come up where Roberts is concerned when theres a slow news day. That kind of stuff may not make its way to where you are but its prevalent here and Id rather not be subjected to it. Like I said, Pie actually might do well in the leadoff spot. We need to wait and see though.

Adopted Bronco:

DeRosa is okay offensively, but still not what Roberts is. Add to the fact his fielding is suspect and he's 32. Fontenot is nothing but a back-up and has hands of stone. Theriot has speed but offers nothing offensively unless he gets walked.

So basically, you are betting that Patterson or Cedeno are the answer.

With Roberts, you upgrade your leadoff spot, SB's, 2nd base defense and offensive production from the position. So, for a top 4 2nd baseman, you aren't willing to give up a maybe in Patterson, your 4th outfielder in Murton and one of 2 young prospect pitchers that won't even see the mound this year because of the rotation of Zambrano, Marquis, Lilly, Lieber and one of Gallagher or Marshall.

That is the definition of being a homer. To be honest, as an Oriole fan, I'd be hesitant to accept that deal for Roberts to begin with, so it surprises me that a Cub fan would turn it down.

Adopted Bronco:
    Rockwell Moreno

DeRosa is okay offensively, but still not what Roberts is. Add to the fact his fielding is suspect and he's 32. Fontenot is nothing but a back-up and has hands of stone. Theriot has speed but offers nothing offensively unless he gets walked.
    Gotta love hyperbole.

So basically, you are betting that Patterson or Cedeno are the answer.
    No, Im content with DeRosa at second if Pie does well.

With Roberts, you upgrade your leadoff spot, SB's, 2nd base defense and offensive production from the position. So, for a top 4 2nd baseman, you aren't willing to give up a maybe in Patterson, your 4th outfielder in Murton and one of 2 young prospect pitchers that won't even see the mound this year because of the rotation of Zambrano, Marquis, Lilly, Lieber and one of Gallagher or Marshall.
    This is the only thing the Cubs should be worried about. DeRosa is a serviceable 2B. Admittedly he's not as good as Roberts but we dont have to give up two good arms to get DeRosa either. Not worth it.

And, btw, Dempster is supposed to be a starter too. But a young arm is worth more than a 2B.

That is the definition of being a homer. To be honest, as an Oriole fan, I'd be hesitant to accept that deal for Roberts to begin with, so it surprises me that a Cub fan would turn it down.
    Id rather see how Pie does. And evaluaing a trades worth by what you want out of it, is hardly homerish.

Adopted Bronco:

Gotta love hyperbole.

No, Im content with DeRosa at second if Pie does well.

This is the only thing the Cubs should be worried about. DeRosa is a serviceable 2B. Admittedly he's not as good as Roberts but we dont have to give up two good arms to get DeRosa either. Not worth it.

And, btw, Dempster is supposed to be a starter too. But a young arm is worth more than a 2B.

Id rather see how Pie does. And evaluaing a trades worth by what you want out of it, is hardly homerish.
    So you would rather have 2 unproven arms that may not see the roster this year and a "servicacle 2nd baseman as opposed to keeping one of those arms and getting an All-Star 2nd baseman? Interesting

Adopted Bronco:
    Rockwell Moreno

So you would rather have 2 unproven arms that may not see the roster this year and a "servicacle 2nd baseman as opposed to keeping one of those arms and getting a good leadoff hitter? Interesting
    fixed

Adopted Bronco:

fixed
    .377 obp, .808 OPS and 50 SB's is a "good" leadoff hitter?

You keep trying to minimalize this whole thing to convince yourself it's a bad deal, but until the Cubs make smart moves like this as opposed to spending money on FA's every year...thery're screwed.

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information