Thread: Defensive Strategy Question

Adopted Bronco:
    Mister Cobble

Default Defensive Strategy Question

Why on 3rd and 1 or 2 when teams line up in a passing formation do defenses so commonly line their DB's up 5-10 yards off the WR? In doing this, they are just basically saying "here, take this free first down". This just popped into my head because Wyoming just had a 3rd and 1 against Fresno St. and Fresno had their DB's WAY off the WR's. I just don't understand it.

I guess some would say they are trying to prevent getting beat deep, but I would rather risk getting beat deep than just guarantee them a free first down.

Adopted Bronco:
    Eric Decker And D Thomas

In todays NFL you're asking alot by telling 5'11" corners to press 6'5 corners at the line.

Adopted Bronco:
    Mister Cobble

It's still better than just giving them a free first down. Maybe by pressing you get lucky and the QB makes a bad throw or the WR drops it. By playing so far off, they don't even have to try.

Adopted Bronco:
    Eric Decker And D Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by BaileyTheBest View Post
    It's still better than just giving them a free first down. Maybe by pressing you get lucky and the QB makes a bad throw or the WR drops it. By playing so far off, they don't even have to try.
    Well when a corner is playing off he always watches the QB's shoulders, legs and eyes and still has the ability to jump the route, especially if he's in man.

Adopted Bronco:
    Mister Cobble

I guess. It just seems like 9 times out of 10, that strategy leads to an easy first down.

Adopted Bronco:
    Eric Decker And D Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by BaileyTheBest View Post
    I guess. It just seems like 9 times out of 10, that strategy leads to an easy first down.
    As we all know some coaches play not to lose rather than playing to win. Not everyone is as aggressive as rex ryan on D. Alot of cover 2 oriented defenses bend so that they don't break.

Adopted Bronco:
    Drew Lock

Protecting play-action and fakes.
    "I may not be a mathematician, but I can count to a million." - Shannon Sharpe

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information