Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Shaq for Shawn Marion

Meh, it's an over-reaction.
    If you ain't Dutch, you ain't much.

2. The Following User High Fived DallasChief For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Stupid idea

I don't get this at all.

Are they THAT worried about interior defense (to counter Gasol), that they go for Shaq?

The team has averaged what, 60 wins a season the last three seasons, and they trade for an older, less productive player?

I could see if Shaq was a FA, and they used him in spells defensively, to help keep the post players on their toes, especially in the playoffs. But to straight up trade? Marion must have been a TOTAL cancer for this to make any sense.

But the way the Suns play now, where does Shaq fit? He can't run like that anymore, and his hip is going to hurt him defensively anyway.

Dallas, San Antonio, and the Lakers all just won 2 or 3 more games if this trade happens, because I don't see how Shaq, at 35, is quick enough to handle any of the front line players for any of those teams...because they all have big men who can play outside, which Shaq can't.
    What shall we do with all this useless beauty?

Adopted Bronco:
    DOOM!

I don't like it but the reason is easy to see.

The Suns can NOT beat the Spurs in a 7 game series with this roster. They might have been able to do it last year with Kurt Thomas had the league not totally ****ed them. But not this year. Now with LA getting Gasol and Bynum healthy by the playoffs, there will be two teams they can NOT beat in the post season.

Marion typically has disappearing offense disease come playoff time, Diaw has shown some spark as he did two years ago and his confidence is growing.

Basically Kerr has said, look, take Shaq off the court to run and gun against the likes of the warriors and Dallas. Put him on the court for the Spurs and LA, and (if luck has it) against the Celtics.

The Suns NEED a true center, and those are hard to come by. Swing Stoudamire to his true position, Power Forward, and he's unstoppable.

They needed to work out a trade Marion for Gasol but failed. Now they do something or their window of opportunity is closed. For good.

I still don't like it, but understand it.

Nobody in the game of football should be called a genius. A genius is somebody like Norman Einstein ...Joe Theismann

5. The Following User High Fived MileHighWrath For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    #88 Tony Scheffler

Quote Originally Posted by DallasChief View Post
    Well, the Suns would have to change their entire style of basketball. Shaq could not keep up running the court like they do.
    You got that right, their offense will surely change. Shaq being healthy is a big 'IF" and he hasn't been that lately to help the Heat. I know the Suns need a center to beat the Spurs and an addition with the Lakers getting Gasol, however Shaq isn't the offensive player he once was. It is a BIG gamble.....high risk, high reward.

We'll see what happens.
    2007-08 MVP

Thanks MasterShake for the sig

On Brandon Marshall
    "I'm not going to ever let him settle. I'm going to stay on him to be the best he can." ~ Rod Smith

Quote Originally Posted by MileHighWrath View Post
    I don't like it but the reason is easy to see.

The Suns can NOT beat the Spurs in a 7 game series with this roster. They might have been able to do it last year with Kurt Thomas had the league not totally ****ed them. But not this year. Now with LA getting Gasol and Bynum healthy by the playoffs, there will be two teams they can NOT beat in the post season.

Marion typically has disappearing offense disease come playoff time, Diaw has shown some spark as he did two years ago and his confidence is growing.

Basically Kerr has said, look, take Shaq off the court to run and gun against the likes of the warriors and Dallas. Put him on the court for the Spurs and LA, and (if luck has it) against the Celtics.

The Suns NEED a true center, and those are hard to come by. Swing Stoudamire to his true position, Power Forward, and he's unstoppable.

They needed to work out a trade Marion for Gasol but failed. Now they do something or their window of opportunity is closed. For good.

I still don't like it, but understand it.
    I completely agree...

I think the only reason is to give the Suns (ostensibly) a defensive presence against the top seeded teams in the West…and the East too with Detriot and Boston shaping up as the teams to beat.

Probably LA and SA from the West in their minds…

Clearly, Shaq's health through the entire playoffs is a huge gamble too...although, I don't think they had any other options really for a defensive presence.

TWT...

Adopted Bronco:
    DOOM!

Umm .... the Suns offense would only change when the broken diesel is on the floor. What I can't see, is D'Antoni starting someone as slow as Shaq. Can he handle coming off the bench? (except when they play the Spurs or LA)

Nobody in the game of football should be called a genius. A genius is somebody like Norman Einstein ...Joe Theismann

Adopted Bronco:
    Von Killer

Shaq will not even play half the games...

Basically you guys gave up Marion, and team chemistry..

Sloppy thirds.

Adopted Bronco:
    DOOM!

Actually the team chemistry has sucked this year, due to Marion. Amare and Marion are not getting along. Marion's numbers are all down this year as well so I'm sure that was "factored in." Nash has been unhappy all year, grumpy and constantly calling out his team mates before and after each game, win or lose.

It's a panic move to try matching what LA just did, and repair the 'chemistry.' In the end it won't get the Suns any further than they were going to get this year anyway. Their opportunity was last year, had they resigned K. Thomas last offseason and went with the same group, they might have had a chance this year. But they didn't and that was the end of that.

11. The Following User High Fived MileHighWrath For This Post:

Or if they could have swung the K Garnett trade instead of Boston.

13. The Following User High Fived DallasChief For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    DOOM!

... or the gasol trade instead of LA.

Quote Originally Posted by MileHighWrath View Post
    ... or the gasol trade instead of LA.
    Well, if the Suns had known that Memphis was just going to give him away, they probably would have pursued it harder. Gasol fits into the Triangle better then he would have D'Antoni's system.

Adopted Bronco:
    DOOM!

either way this trade is very simply a reaction to what LA just did bringing in gasol. had LA not done that, no way this trade happens.

17. The Following 3 Users High Fived MileHighWrath For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Von Killer

I wasn't aware that the Suns team chemistry was falling apart. Or Nash was calling out his teammates...

I was under the impression that the Suns are as dominant as they have been, and made this desperate move to stick it in L.A's/Kobes face during game time.

Shaq won't be able to keep up with the Suns pace, and might not even get decent playing time...You gotta remember he's back in the West.

talk all you want spurs/lakers/dallas fans..........you'll see our play get better .......heck we are already first in the west

Adopted Bronco:
    DOOM!

Quote Originally Posted by Escobar View Post
    talk all you want spurs/lakers/dallas fans..........you'll see our play get better .......heck we are already first in the west
    I hope you are right but in any case, we are going to see the Suns play a different kind of basketball that we have become used to. But will it be the kind that wins a championship?

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information