Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Thread: McDaniels not big believer in franchise label

Adopted Bronco:
    Doom!

What about franchise coaches?
    To all the armed forces... present, past, and future.
    Thanks, Reid!

Click the sig to read JetRazor's and my story! PM me with any questions!
    I love my wife!

Adopted Bronco:
    Demaryius Thomas

I'm really surprised McDaniels is so dumbfounded as to what makes a guy a franchise quarterback. It's the guy that the organization to be the starting quarterback long term. He's also the guy you build your offense around. If McDaniels can't grasp that then I don't know what to tell him because I was pretty sure that's why went to all the trouble of drafting Tebow.

Adopted Bronco:
    Doom!

Quote Originally Posted by Northman View Post
    Give him another couple of years in that system he will do well.
    Martz may want out after this year... so Cutler may be stuck with a new coordinator after this year.

I thought I heard they tried to extend Martz and he declined.
    To all the armed forces... present, past, and future.
    Thanks, Reid!

Click the sig to read JetRazor's and my story! PM me with any questions!
    I love my wife!

4. The Following 4 Users High Fived LordTrychon For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Demaryius Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by LordTrychon View Post
    What about franchise coaches?
    No such a thing.

Adopted Bronco:
    Gene Mingo

Quote Originally Posted by TXBRONC View Post
    No such a thing.
    That's an interesting thought. We are lacking the Landry/Shula types today. I would think Bill Belichick is about as close as you could get.
    Some of those that work forces
    Are the same that burn crosses

7. The Following 4 Users High Fived Softskull For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

Quote Originally Posted by LordTrychon View Post
    Martz may want out after this year... so Cutler may be stuck with a new coordinator after this year.

I thought I heard they tried to extend Martz and he declined.
    Wouldn't surprise me.

*The statements above are my opinions, unless they are links, because then they are links, which wouldn't make them my opinions, and I suppose stats aren't necessarily opinion, but they are certainly presented to support an opinion. Proceed accordingly.

Quote Originally Posted by Buff View Post
    What is this, amateur hour? It's TNF against the Jets and you didn't think you'd need extra booze?

Yeah, so where exactly is the line that they cross to become "franchise quarterbacks" or is it something you just "know" like true love?

Adopted Bronco:
    Ray Finkel

Quote Originally Posted by robert ethan View Post
    Yeah, so where exactly is the line that they cross to become "franchise quarterbacks" or is it something you just "know" like true love?
    Your kidding right? It doesnt take long watching guys like Elway, Favre, Brady, Manning, etc to see they are something special.

11. The Following User High Fived Northman For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Northman View Post
    Your kidding right? It doesnt take long watching guys like Elway, Favre, Brady, Manning, etc to see they are something special.
    Well, every team in the league passed on Favre in the draft. Then the team that took him traded him away without giving him a chance to play. Brady was the seventh quarterback taken in his draft year and the 200th player overall. I think Brady was almost 25 before he became a starter. No one "watched" and noticed prior to that? You've just named four of the safest, most obvious ones, but Manning and Elway in particular were brutal in their rookie seasons. I think John had worst numbers than Jimmy Clausen did as a rookie. Or as bad, at least. Is Clausen a "franchise quarterback"? Is Matt Cassell who sat on the bench his whole college career and a few years as a pro? Cassell certainly looks to be at least as good as Cutler at this juncture.

Adopted Bronco:
    Ray Finkel

Quote Originally Posted by robert ethan View Post
    Well, every team in the league passed on Favre in the draft. Then the team that took him traded him away without giving him a chance to play.
    He also sat behind Jeff George who was taken by the Falcons and probably making a shitload more money ala the Rivers/Bree's senario.

Brady was the seventh quarterback taken in his draft year and the 200th player overall. I think Brady was almost 25 before he became a starter. No one "watched" and noticed prior to that?
    What are they supposed to watch? He was a rookie and sitting behind another #1 QB in Drew Bledsoe. Tom was drafted for depth by the Pats no question about it. But just like Montana when he took over after Bledsoe's injury he showed he was a baller and from there it was history.

You've just named four of the safest, most obvious ones, but Manning and Elway in particular were brutal in their rookie seasons. I think John had worst numbers than Jimmy Clausen did as a rookie. Or as bad, at least.
    Both Elway and Manning had a brutal first year. But it didnt take long for both Qb's to show they had the ability to be something special as they quickly lead their teams to positive records in their sophmore seasons.

Is Clausen a "franchise quarterback"? Is Matt Cassell who sat on the bench his whole college career and a few years as a pro?
    Clausen has played what? 6 or so games if that? Cassell? Cassell has shown he can play well but he cannot take over a game like a Manning, Brady, or Elway can.

Cassell certainly looks to be at least as good as Cutler at this juncture.
    While both have played on similiar teams throughout their career Jay has shown he is a better overall player by his ability to comeback in games. He has 15 4th quarter comebacks to just 6 for Cassell. 12 of them in the same timeframe from when Cassell took over for Brady. Bottom line, i dont see the same intangibles in Cassell as i do in Cutler. And while Jay still has some problems to overcome i see far more upside with him as a playmaker as i do Cassell. I would also be willing to bet that Cassell has played with a better Oline and running game while in NE and KC.

14. The Following 7 Users High Fived Northman For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    The cheerleaders

Quote Originally Posted by Softskull View Post
    That's an interesting thought. We are lacking the Landry/Shula types today. I would think Bill Belichick is about as close as you could get.
    You had three (Belichick, Shanahan and Fisher) less then two years ago.
    "We saw it…. the hussars let loose their horses. God, what power! They ran through the smoke and the sound was like that of a thousand blacksmiths beating with a thousand hammers

They rush on to the Swedes! They crash into the Swedish riters…. Overwhelm them! They crash into the second regiment - Overwhelmed! Resistance collapses, dissolves, they move forward as easily as if they were parading on a grand boulevard

16. The Following User High Fived elsid13 For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Ron Dayne

I LOVE old threads!

18. The Following User High Fived sneakers For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Patrick Surtain II

Quote Originally Posted by sneakers View Post
    I LOVE old threads!
    So do I. McDaniels wasn't a big believer except for...McDaniels.
    2009 & 2020 Broncos Forums Pick'em King
    2011 & 2019 Broncos Forums Survival Football Champion

20. The Following User High Fived Canmore For This Post:

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information