Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Colts' Peyton Manning more accurate than ever before going into Broncos game

Default Colts' Peyton Manning more accurate than ever before going into Broncos game

By Mike Klis
    The Denver Post
    Posted: 12/10/2009 01:00:00 AM MST

Peyton Manning has been included in America's favorite bar-stool argument for going on six seasons now.

Bartenders know the debate well — who's the best quarterback of all time?

Ever since Manning threw 49 touchdown passes in 2004 — with Brandon Stokley catching No. 49 — the Indianapolis Colts' quarterback has been included in the discussion.

But after 11 remarkably consistent seasons of posting numbers only the league's most elite passers could share, there is something scary about Manning's 12th season as he prepares to play the Broncos on Sunday at his home venue of Lucas Oil Stadium — he has never been more accurate.

A 64.4 percent career thrower entering this season, Manning is completing 70 percent of passes this year, which if it holds would be a career high.

"Nothing I can give you an easy answer to," Manning said during a conference call with the Denver media Wednesday. "The idea every game is to try to get the ball to our receivers and tight ends. We have a lot of guys who catch the football well."

That's just it, though. Manning is playing in a season in which he has lost Marvin Harrison to retirement and slot receiver Anthony Gonzalez to a knee injury.

Harrison and Gonzalez have been replaced by Pierre Garcon, who had four catches as a rookie last season, and Austin Collie, a rookie from Brigham Young who was drafted in the fourth round.

Is it possible that after years of compiling a case as the best-ever quarterback, Manning has saved his best for his 12th season?

"He's not getting any worse," said Stokley, now in his third season as the Broncos' slot receiver after spending four seasons running routes for Manning. "That doesn't surprise me that his percentage is up at all."

That 70 percent completion rate, by the way, has occurred while Manning has thrown for a league-high 3,685 yards through 12 victorious games. So it's not like he has become a dunk-and-dink passer as he approaches his mid-30s.

"I feel like every year, just because of another year of experience, you ought to be a better player than the year before," Manning said. "It's 16 or 17 more games that you've had to learn from, different defenses that you've seen, more repetitions that you've had with your receivers."

Mike Klis: 303-954-1055 or mklis@denverpost.com

http://www.denverpost.com/premium/broncos/ci_13964838

2. The Following User High Fived Lonestar For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    D.Thomas....the next great broncos WR

Colts' Peyton Manning more accurate than ever before going into Broncos game

exactly....before the bronco game when he will throw 3 picks and have arguably the worst game of his professional career......

GO BRONCOS !

4. The Following 2 Users High Fived T.K.O. For This Post:

I'll tell you a good reason why this may be.

Look at his schedule. I don't believe he's faced even one top 10 pass defense team yet. The majority have been in the 20's.

Adopted Bronco:
    Brandon McMustache

Cool.

JINX!!

Quote Originally Posted by snowspot66 View Post
    I'll tell you a good reason why this may be.

Look at his schedule. I don't believe he's faced even one top 10 pass defense team yet. The majority have been in the 20's.
    maybe that's the Manning effect?
    If not me, who?

best ever...

Quote Originally Posted by Timmy! View Post
    Effing school zones suck. It's only a matter of time before I get nailed in one.
    Quote Originally Posted by Valar Morghulis View Post
    I take the fat out of the pan once no longer hot, smear it all over my genitals, then enter consenting people with my tumescent member.

Adopted Bronco:

Manning...Colts...Manning...Colts...Manning...Colt s...Manning is great...Colts...manning is God...

I'm already sick of it. I have to watch this guy every day on TV at some point and read about him all day long as well.

Adopted Bronco:
    Champ Bailey

Pass rush is key if we expect to even come close to winning this game. We've all seen how Manning plays when he gets disrupted and is forced out of his "comfort" zone.

One thing I have noticed is this Colts team isn't exactly blowing teams out like the Manning led offenses of the past...that's good news for us.

11. The Following User High Fived Reidman For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Demaryius Thomas

I think there are several things Denver has to do to win this game.

1.) As mentioned several times consistent pressure.

2.) Mistake free football or something very close to that.

3.) Winning the time of possession is important but just as important is not trading touch downs for field goals.

4.) Some how Denver will have to find away to force the Colts into mistakes.

13. The Following User High Fived TXBRONC For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by bcbronc View Post
    maybe that's the Manning effect?
    Nope. He's not playing the same opponent every week. He can't make that big of a difference to their 12 game averages all on his own. For the most part the Colts competition has been sub par to say the least. Very soft schedule for them.

He's still a great QB. But his competition isn't exactly hurting his stats this year.

Adopted Bronco:
    Eric Decker And D Thomas

Orton will make Manning look like delhomme.

Quote Originally Posted by T.K.O. (team kyle orton) View Post
    Colts' Peyton Manning more accurate than ever before going into Broncos game

exactly....before the bronco game when he will throw 3 picks and have arguably the worst game of his professional career......

GO BRONCOS !
    In order for it to be the worst game of his career, he will need to throw 7 ints which will surpass his current record of 6 that he threw against the Bolts in 2007. Go for it.
    Gimme some footyball, please!

Quote Originally Posted by CoachChaz View Post
    Manning...Colts...Manning...Colts...Manning...Colt s...Manning is great...Colts...manning is God...

I'm already sick of it. I have to watch this guy every day on TV at some point and read about him all day long as well.
    Gotta love his commercials Chaz,the guy does great commercials...I like him..the only thing that has ever really bothered me about him is when they are set and before the ball is spiked...he starts pointing and motioning...for some reason that drives me nuts..

But the guy is good...I wouldn't be surprised if the Colts win the SB this season.Be great to see them and the Saints in the SB.

18. The Following User High Fived KCL For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by KCL View Post
    Gotta love his commercials Chaz,the guy does great commercials...I like him..the only thing that has ever really bothered me about him is when they are set and before the ball is spiked...he starts pointing and motioning...for some reason that drives me nuts..

But the guy is good...I wouldn't be surprised if the Colts win the SB this season.Be great to see them and the Saints in the SB.
    while both being undefeated.... winner leaves with it all. THAT would be a GREAT Super Bowl.
    (the previous comment was not directed at any particular individual and was not intended to slander,disrespect or offend any reader of said statement)

20. The Following User High Fived Ravage!!! For This Post:

KCL

Quote Originally Posted by KyleOrtonArmySoldier#128 View Post
    Orton will make Manning look like delhomme.

new boss....possibly better than old boss

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information