Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Ortons' Contract Status

Default Ortons' Contract Status

Hi all,

I'm sure it has been discussed here at some point, but why are the Broncos waiting to extend his contract?. I realize there are a TON of expiring contracts in Denver after the season, which is why it seems to make sense to get it done now. The only reason I can see waiting would be if there is going to be a change in the upcoming uncapped salary year. From my understanding, that would change the status of Marshalls' contract.

Does anyone have more details on this?. Also, are the Broncos currently capped out for 2009?...thus preventing them from spending any $$ until next year??.

Regards,

Biz

Adopted Bronco:
    Eric Decker And D Thomas

Because orton has said multiple times he badly wants to stay in Denver and they're making him work for it. He doesn't want a big contract he just wants years.

Quote Originally Posted by Biz1 View Post
    Hi all,

I'm sure it has been discussed here at some point, but why are the Broncos waiting to extend his contract?. I realize there are a TON of expiring contracts in Denver after the season, which is why it seems to make sense to get it done now. The only reason I can see waiting would be if there is going to be a change in the upcoming uncapped salary year. From my understanding, that would change the status of Marshalls' contract.

Does anyone have more details on this?. Also, are the Broncos currently capped out for 2009?...thus preventing them from spending any $$ until next year??.

Regards,

Biz
    No, you can't have Orton back!!!!

4. The Following 3 Users High Fived GEM For This Post:

Orton wants Cassel type money: about $50 million for 5 years with about $30 million guaranteed.

And he's NOT worth it! If Denver signs him long-term it's going to be a HORRIBLE cap move that will likely lose McDaniels his job in the long term -- just as signing Cassel to a long-term $14 million a year deal will not help Scott Pioli's career in KC.

The Broncos are going to re-sign him after the season. But, after next season it's going to be bluntly clear even to "Orton's Army" that he's NOT the answer at QB. So, what then? Cut him and take a $12 million cap hit or something?

Pay him $12-14 million to sit on the bench behind some rookie QB you draft in 2011?

It would be better if Orton still had another year on his contract. Then they could evaluate him for another year.

But, he just doesn't have the athletic skills to ever be an elite QB and you can't win the SB without one.

So, it's going to be back to the drawing board sooner or later. And frankly, the sooner they pull the trigger and let him go and draft a franchise QB, the better long term.

The BEST move for the Broncos would be to admit that this team is never going to win a championship as currently constituted and just go out and draft a franchise QB in 2009 and train him for 2 more seasons.

Orton was merely the best option available for trade at the time of the Cutler deal -- that doesn't mean he's good enough to be the Broncos franchise QB. He flat isn't.

6. The Following User High Fived Cugel For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by GEM View Post
    No, you can't have Orton back!!!!
    I don't want him back, I want better coaching here for Cutler. However, 8 months ago I was posting on the "official" Broncos MB that there was nothing wrong with Kyle Orton. Yet, 75% of the fan base was busy throwing Orton and McDaniels under the bus back then when I predicted an 8-8 season this year and a division title next year. Now I would imagine that all of those naysayers last Spring would now vote for Josh McDaniels as the Governor of Colorado....

Why haven't the Broncos extended Ortons' contract?. Your FA list is short, but expensive to keep the core of the offense intact for 2010:

QB Kyle Orton RFA Denver Broncos Free Agent
    WR Brandon Marshall UFA Denver Broncos Free Agent
    TE Jeb Putzier UFA Denver Broncos Free Agent
    TE Tony Scheffler UFA Denver Broncos Free Agent
    PK Matt Prater RFA Denver Broncos Free Agent
    OG Ben Hamilton UFA Denver Broncos Free Agent
    C Casey Wiegmann UFA Denver Broncos Free Agent
    OL Chris Kuper UFA Denver Broncos Free Agent
    LB Elvis Dumervil UFA Denver Broncos Free Agent
    LB D.J. Williams UFA Denver Broncos Free Agent

8. The Following User High Fived Biz1 For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:

I think Orton could be a guy to lead a team to the SB. His teammates always love and respect him and if he can master this offense, he can be a stud. I think it's fair to say he's already out performed the numbers that most thought he'd put up. Give it time for the offense to become second nature with all the youngsters and new people.

That being said...I'd still look for a potential replacement. orton is young, but if something happens where he wants a ridiculous contract or for some reason fails to improve, it would be convenient to have another horse in the stable

10. The Following 4 Users High Fived CoachChaz For This Post:

I don't want him back, I want better coaching here for Cutler. However, 8 months ago I was posting on the "official" Broncos MB that there was nothing wrong with Kyle Orton. Yet, 75% of the fan base was busy throwing Orton and McDaniels under the bus back then when I predicted an 8-8 season this year and a division title next year. Now I would imagine that all of those naysayers last Spring would now vote for Josh McDaniels as the Governor of Colorado....

Why haven't the Broncos extended Ortons' contract?. Your FA list is short, but expensive to keep the core of the offense intact for 2010:

TE Jeb Putzier UFA Denver Broncos Free Agent
    TE Tony Scheffler UFA Denver Broncos Free Agent
    C Casey Wiegmann UFA Denver Broncos Free Agent
    It was a joke. Oh and BTW....Cutler had some of the best coaching from an offensive mastermind...it didn't much to improve his output. :shrugs: Don't hang all the issues with Cutler on your coaches.
    Last edited by GEM; 12-09-2009 at 01:28 PM.

12. The Following User High Fived GEM For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:

TE Jeb Putzier UFA Denver Broncos Free Agent - history
    TE Tony Scheffler UFA Denver Broncos Free Agent - history
    PK Matt Prater RFA Denver Broncos Free Agent - history
    OG Ben Hamilton UFA Denver Broncos Free Agent - history
    C Casey Wiegmann UFA Denver Broncos Free Agent - history

Not everyone gets a new contract

14. The Following User High Fived CoachChaz For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Cugel View Post

And he's NOT worth it! If Denver signs him long-term it's going to be a HORRIBLE cap move that will likely lose McDaniels his job in the long term -- just as signing Cassel to a long-term $14 million a year deal will not help Scott Pioli's career in KC.

And you know this about Pioli how? Hunt is the owner but it's Pioli who is calling the shots...glad you have so much insight to how the Chiefs are running things.

16. The Following User High Fived KCL For This Post:

WR Brandon Marshall UFA Denver Broncos Free Agent He is a RFA
    TE Jeb Putzier UFA Denver Broncos Free Agent not on team
    TE Tony Scheffler UFA Denver Broncos Free Agent He is a RFA
    C Casey Wiegmann UFA Denver Broncos Free Agent not a Free agent gave a two year contact this spring .
    LB Elvis Dumervil UFA Denver Broncos Free Agent He is a RFA
    LB D.J. Williams UFA Denver Broncos Free AgentHe Signed a long term contract last year at this time .
    We will be fine I think all our RFA's will be signed to long term contracts incuding Kuper .
    Last edited by 56crash; 12-09-2009 at 01:39 PM.

18. The Following User High Fived 56crash For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Chris Harris

Quote Originally Posted by CoachChaz View Post
    I agree with all you highlighted expect Tony Scheffler, I think he gets resigned...

As for Orton, he's clearly shown that he's a winner. No, he's not a superstar, but he has played very well this season. Obviously we resign him for a few years, but we also need to have a legit back-up for him. Obviously Simms doesnt cut it. Orton isnt the type of guy who will demand a huge contract, so im not too worried about that. Whatever the case, I have faith that McD and the front office will make the right decision to get this team back to the Super Bowl. If that includes Orton (or vise versa), i'll support it all the way.

Supporting the Denver Broncos all the way from North Carolina!

20. The Following 2 Users High Fived camdisco24 For This Post:

Ahhhhhhhh!!!!! Don't you dare say Scheffler.

Who do we have to take Wiegman's spot with Hamilton gone?

Adopted Bronco:
    Josh McDaniels Sucks

Quote Originally Posted by GEM View Post
    It was a joke. Oh and BTW....Cutler had some of the best coaching from an offensive mastermind...it didn't much to improve his output. :shrugs: Don't hang all the issues with Cutler on your coaches.
    He set the single season passing record for the Broncos in his third year.
    Thanks MO for the wicked Sig.

Quote Originally Posted by Cugel View Post
    Orton wants Cassel type money: about $50 million for 5 years with about $30 million guaranteed.

The Broncos are going to re-sign him after the season. But, after next season it's going to be bluntly clear even to "Orton's Army" that he's NOT the answer at QB. So, what then? Cut him and take a $12 million cap hit or something?

Pay him $12-14 million to sit on the bench behind some rookie QB you draft in 2011?

It would be better if Orton still had another year on his contract. Then they could evaluate him for another year.

But, he just doesn't have the athletic skills to ever be an elite QB and you can't win the SB without one.

So, it's going to be back to the drawing board sooner or later. And frankly, the sooner they pull the trigger and let him go and draft a franchise QB, the better long term.

The BEST move for the Broncos would be to admit that this team is never going to win a championship as currently constituted and just go out and draft a franchise QB in 2009 and train him for 2 more seasons.

Orton was merely the best option available for trade at the time of the Cutler deal -- that doesn't mean he's good enough to be the Broncos franchise QB. He flat isn't.

Ah, everyone wants a John Elway. No, Orton is not worth "franchise QB" money. I was unaware that he had asked for that amount. But teams can still win without a Peyton Manning et al., just ask a Brad Johnson or that QB in Baltimore that won a title(what was his name again?)this decade. Systems can still bring championships with an average QB, despite the NFL rule changes that promote offense. I have a list here that I can post, it's an adjusted yardage system used to rank the top 100 post-1950 QB's.

Guess where Tom Brady ranks?:

#53: Brad Johnson - A career "solid starter", Johnson embodies that vast quarterbacking Siberia that lies between Trent Dilfer and Joe Montana.

#54: Tom Brady - A lock to move into at least the Top 30 someday, Brady is already a three-time Super Bowl champ who sleeps with models and has a near-ubiquitous endorsement presence during football season... Remind you of anyone?

John Elway is number 5. Still think you cannot win a title with Orton?, I think you can. But, Orton needs to settle for half the price you posted.

24. The Following User High Fived Biz1 For This Post:

GEM

learn who is on the team and some already do have contracts .

as to the kicker he will be dangled with a 2nd round tenure IMO .

the reast of the RFA 's will get long term contarcts.

26. The Following User High Fived 56crash For This Post:

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information