Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Jason Kidd wants out of New Jersey

Default Jason Kidd wants out of New Jersey

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/ba...says_its_.html

Jason Kidd wants to take his triple-doubles and play somewhere else.

A day after saying that he had no knowledge of a trade request his agent reportedly had made to the Nets, Kidd confirmed to ESPN The Magazine Monday night that he indeed has asked to be shipped out of New Jersey.

Kidd has been frustrated by the Nets' awful season, but before they fell to 18-26 with their ninth straight loss on Sunday - against the NBA-worst Timberwolves - he insisted he would be happy staying with the Nets.

Not so.

"It used to be if I got a triple-double, that was an automatic win," Kidd told the magazine in a phone interview. "That's just not the case now. We tried to make this work. We've found out it doesn't. It's time for us all to move on."

Asked last night for a reaction to Kidd's comments, Nets president Rod Thorn said he won't make a deal simply to satisfy the disgruntled point guard.

"If something comes about we feel is in the best interest of the team, we will look at it. If it isn't, we won't look at it," said Thorn, who added that he is not close to making any deals. "We're not in the process of giving players away. If you do that then you've got guys walking into your office every day. If a player is under contract, he's under contract."

With averages of 11.3 points, 10.4 assists and 8.3 rebounds, Kidd is having another fine season. He already has 11 triple-doubles and needs just two more to reach 100 for his career. However, six of his triple-doubles have come in losses, including the last two.

He has appeared increasingly disinterested on the court and in the locker room. Following the 98-95 loss in Minnesota - in which the Nets blew a seven-point lead in the final 1:19 - he was the first player dressed and out the door.

Just hours earlier, Kidd said he was willing to fight through the team's struggles, saying, "We've got to work with the team and try to figure out a way to turn this around. It wasn't too long ago that we won five in a row."

When asked directly if he wanted to stay with the Nets, Kidd replied: "Yeah, I want to be here."

Reached by phone last night, Lawrence Frank said he expects Kidd to keep playing at the same level the point guard has since he became a Net prior to the 2001-2002 season, and that he doesn't think his already struggling team will be distracted by Kidd's situation.

"What I'd say is regardless of what was said in this article, Jason competes at the highest level every night," said Frank. "I don't see it as an issue. At the end of the day, when we step in between those lines all of us put forth our best efforts."

The trade deadline is Feb.21 and though Kidd is making roughly $19 million this season and will earn $21 million next season, there are plenty of teams that would like to have him in their backcourt.

Thorn almost shipped Kidd to the Lakers last February, but L.A. refused to part with young center Andrew Bynum. The Nets likely would still insist Bynum be part of any deal, although he is out eight more weeks with a knee injury.

Adopted Bronco:
    Von

Isnt he old now - I mean my ex supposedly played against him on some court in Cali when they were in HS - and Im old and he's old so Jasons got to be old too
    Quote Originally Posted by Buff View Post
    More Americans have been killed by New England Patriots players than by Ebola.

Please Mitch, go after Jason Kidd!

I'd love to add Kidd to the Lakers roster, as long as we don't have to give up our star center Andrew Bynum (and Kobe of course). I'd be 50/50 if the trade included Lamar Odom, if we were to trade Odom I would expect a big man in return, however I don't like any of the New Jersey Nets big men. It's just I reckon the Nets will demand Odom be part of the deal.

Let's see how it plays out.

Quote Originally Posted by orangenblue420 View Post
    Isnt he old now - I mean my ex supposedly played against him on some court in Cali when they were in HS - and Im old and he's old so Jasons got to be old too
    He's 34.

But he isn't your regular 34 year old athelete. He is still posting up triple doubles.

Adopted Bronco:

I still wouldn't give up the talent AND cash the Nets want for a 34 year old.

Quote Originally Posted by CoachChaz View Post
    I still wouldn't give up the talent AND cash the Nets want for a 34 year old.
    I agree.

I'm surprised the Mavericks aren't in the running for Damon Stoudemire. We need something better then JJ Barea subbing for Harris.
    If you ain't Dutch, you ain't much.

Adopted Bronco:
    Richard Simmons

Kidd's ex is mental, but has um....emhanced features.

Adopted Bronco:

Quote Originally Posted by DallasChief View Post
    I agree.

I'm surprised the Mavericks aren't in the running for Damon Stoudemire. We need something better then JJ Barea subbing for Harris.
    I heard they had Stoudemire and Casell on their radar. Who knows.

I heard they had Stoudemire and Casell on their radar. Who knows.
    Everything I've heard about Stoudemire is that he's either going to Toronto, Phoenix or San Antonio.

The Mavericks need a back up PG. Desperately, IMO.

Adopted Bronco:

Everything I've heard about Stoudemire is that he's either going to Toronto, Phoenix or San Antonio.

The Mavericks need a back up PG. Desperately, IMO.
    I agree. I wouldn't object to Cassell. Earl Boykins is another name being thrown around, but the latest on Kidd is a three way deal with DAL, NJ and PORT. Ultimately, we would get Kidd, while losing Diop, George and Stackhouse.

I agree. I wouldn't object to Cassell. Earl Boykins is another name being thrown around, but the latest on Kidd is a three way deal with DAL, NJ and PORT. Ultimately, we would get Kidd, while losing Diop, George and Stackhouse.
    I'm not completely against that trade, I guess. We would need to pick up a backup center. I see Mbenga is playing for the Lakers on a 10 day contract.

Adopted Bronco:

I'm not completely against that trade, I guess. We would need to pick up a backup center. I see Mbenga is playing for the Lakers on a 10 day contract.
    I like the trade. Then when Harris comes back, we can ditch Barrea and look for a decent center.

Adopted Bronco:
    TBD

Any trade for Kidd would involve Dallas giving up Harris. Bynum is off the market, LAL are reluctent to give up Farmar as well. Just really hard seeing Kidd move with either team not wanting to give up what it takes to get deal like this done. Kidd 34 is still a consistant PG that can lead a team for at least another 2 years. Definitly a win now scenario for what ever team goes after him.

The Nets are discussing a complicated three-team scenario with the Mavericks and Blazers in which Jason Kidd would go to Dallas, league sources said. In return, the Nets would get back young players (Jarrett Jack and Travis Outlaw), expiring contracts (Devean George, DeSagana Diop), Jerry Stackhouse, draft picks and cash. More players, including other Nets, would be involved. There are other willing trade partners and possibilities as the Lakers, Cavaliers, Nuggets, Spurs and Suns also would like to be in the Kidd sweepstakes. -- Dallas Morning News
    Ok after actually researching some more, the Mavs would walk out huge winners in a deal like this. With the way Outlw has exploded this year it is hard to see the Blazers moving him which looks like that is where the road block could come from.
    Last edited by BroncoAV06; 01-30-2008 at 03:23 PM.
    <script src='http://img43.imageshack.us/shareable/?i=pbj250px.gif&p=tl' type='text/javascript'></script><noscript></noscript>

Twitter: JBuck610
    Host morning drive sports talk program in Albuquerque.

Lakers are supposedly favourites.

Only a few teams can play in that ballpark, so coming up with a trade partner could prove difficult. The Nets are asking for expiring contracts, draft picks, and young talent, but they may have to settle for two out of three.

In the past 48 hours, four possible trade partners have come up repeatedly: Cleveland, Denver, Dallas, and the Lakers. As we're about to see, each one has hurdles that could be insurmountable.

For Dallas, the biggest obstacle is the simple fact that the Mavs don't really need any help at the point. While Kidd would love to go back to where his career began and have a shot at a championship, Dallas' current duo of Devin Harris and Jason Terry are doing quite well, thanks. Thus, there's no urgency on Dallas's part to replace them, especially with a more expensive player. Basically, this looks like a serious long shot.

Cleveland seems only slightly less likely. While the Cavs can easily come up with enough flotsam to offset Kidd's contract, none of those deals expires until the summer of 2009, so the Nets don't save any money. Additionally, the only keeper they could put into a deal is forward Drew Gooden, an effective player, but one who doesn't move pulses in the league's front offices.

In Denver's case, the lure of a Kidd-Iverson backcourt is strong; they're a perfect pairing because they can cross-match on defense and complement each other offensively. But the Nuggets have a problem coming up with $20 million to offset Kidd's contract.

The only way they could do it would be to include Allen Iverson, Carmelo Anthony, Kenyon Martin, or Nene in the trade. Including Iverson or 'Melo would be idiotic from Denver's end — both are better players than Kidd at this point. And including Martin would be unacceptable from New Jersey's end, as his deal runs two years longer than Kidd's and he's been a lot less productive.

The only way a Denver deal works at all is if the Nuggets are willing to give up most of their frontcourt depth by packaging Nene with the expiring contract of Eduardo Najera, veteran point guard Chucky Atkins, and a firstrounder. Even then, the Nets might balk. While Nene is young and talented, he is a health risk and still has four years left on his deal at nearly $10 million a pop.

Therefore, at the end of the day one realistic option stands out: The L.A. Lakers. There are multiple ways a deal could work. The simplest is for the Nets to get Lamar Odom and a few scraps from the Lakers and call it a day, but L.A. would likely balk at that.

More likely is another deal that still would trump anything the other suitors can come up with: The expiring contracts of Kwame Brown, Chris Mihm, and Trevor Ariza, along with promising young guard Javaris Crittenton (or Jordan Farmar) and a first-round pick.

That would give the Nets three building blocks (Crittenton, Ariza, and the first-rounder), nearly $20 million in cap relief, and the rights to a couple of big men that they might be interested in keeping. It may be hard to believe, given the impact of Kidd's play at the Swamp over the past half-decade, but that's likely to be the best deal the Nets get.

Meanwhile, a Kidd-Kobe Bryant-Odom-Andrew Bynum nucleus would have a great shot at winning the West, especially with quality vets like Derek Fisher and Luke Walton around them. It's the kind of bold stroke that could put them over the top in the crowded West.

So for now, put your money on Kidd ending up in L.A., with Denver as the second choice and Dallas as a dark horse. But in the big picture, don't expect to get a treasure trove in return for Kidd.

Regardless of what he's done for this franchise, his trade value is only based on what he can do for the next one. And it appears nobody is likely to give much more than some expiring deals and a B-level prospect or two for his services.
    http://www.nysun.com/article/70459?page_no=3

Don't trade Ariza. He's been one of our best players this season and he is much better than Luke Walton. He's our second best in terms of FG% and a key to our defense.

There is one point though. Ariza's contract expires this season if he wants, he could be traded to the Nets and then come back to the Lakers in the off-season. He says he loves L.A.

I think we need Ariza for THIS season but that's one possibility.

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information