Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Cannabis bigger cancer risk than cigarettes: study

Default Cannabis bigger cancer risk than cigarettes: study

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20080129/...povigdPeis0NUE

Cannabis bigger cancer risk than cigarettes: study
    Tue Jan 29, 4:44 AM ET

Smoking a joint is equivalent to 20 cigarettes in terms of lung cancer risk, scientists in New Zealand have found, as they warned of an "epidemic" of lung cancers linked to cannabis.
    Studies in the past have demonstrated that cannabis can cause cancer, but few have established a strong link between cannabis use and the actual incidence of lung cancer.
    In an article published in the European Respiratory Journal, the scientists said cannabis could be expected to harm the airways more than tobacco as its smoke contained twice the level of carcinogens, such as polyaromatic hydrocarbons, compared with tobacco cigarettes.
    The method of smoking also increases the risk, since joints are typically smoked without a proper filter and almost to the very tip, which increases the amount of smoke inhaled. The cannabis smoker inhales more deeply and for longer, facilitating the deposition of carcinogens in the airways.
    "Cannabis smokers end up with five times more carbon monoxide in their bloodstream (than tobacco smokers)," team leader Richard Beasley, at the Medical Research Institute of New Zealand, said in a telephone interview.
    "There are higher concentrations of carcinogens in cannabis smoke ... what is intriguing to us is there is so little work done on cannabis when there is so much done on tobacco."
    The researchers interviewed 79 lung cancer patients and sought to identify the main risk factors for the disease, such as smoking, family history and occupation. The patients were questioned about alcohol and cannabis consumption.
    In this high-exposure group, lung cancer risk rose by 5.7 times for patients who smoked more than a joint a day for 10 years, or two joints a day for 5 years, after adjusting for other variables, including cigarette smoking.
    "While our study covers a relatively small group, it shows clearly that long-term cannabis smoking increases lung cancer risk," wrote Beaseley.
    "Cannabis use could already be responsible for one in 20 lung cancers diagnosed in New Zealand," he added.
    "In the near future we may see an 'epidemic' of lung cancers connected with this new carcinogen. And the future risk probably applies to many other countries, where increasing use of cannabis among young adults and adolescents is becoming a major public health problem."
    If you ain't Dutch, you ain't much.

2. The Following 2 Users High Fived DallasChief For This Post:

The study was probably funded by drug companies.

4. The Following 2 Users High Fived DallasChief For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Richard Simmons

Hoes is switching to meth as we speak.

6. The Following 12 Users High Fived BeefStew25 For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Charley Johnson

Interesting. makes some sense I guess.

Adopted Bronco:
    Josh McDaniels Sucks

Well that means you make brownies I guess.

9. The Following 8 Users High Fived claymore For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Derek Wolfe

Quote Originally Posted by DallasChief View Post
    The study was probably funded by drug companies.
    More like tobacco companies.

11. The Following 2 Users High Fived BigDaddyBronco For This Post:

Then take it in a tea. It's a leaf so it shouldn't be harmful if made properly. I don't do the stuff because I have an addictive personality and I know I would be a pothead. I can believe this story about the smoking of the Love Boat, but not drinking it, who knows.

13. The Following User High Fived Devilspawn For This Post:

OB

Adopted Bronco:
    Von

Quote Originally Posted by DallasChief View Post
    http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20080129/...povigdPeis0NUE

Cannabis bigger cancer risk than cigarettes: study
    Tue Jan 29, 4:44 AM ET

Smoking a joint is equivalent to 20 cigarettes in terms of lung cancer risk, scientists in New Zealand have found, as they warned of an "epidemic" of lung cancers linked to cannabis.
    Studies in the past have demonstrated that cannabis can cause cancer, but few have established a strong link between cannabis use and the actual incidence of lung cancer.
    In an article published in the European Respiratory Journal, the scientists said cannabis could be expected to harm the airways more than tobacco as its smoke contained twice the level of carcinogens, such as polyaromatic hydrocarbons, compared with tobacco cigarettes.
    The method of smoking also increases the risk, since joints are typically smoked without a proper filter and almost to the very tip, which increases the amount of smoke inhaled. The cannabis smoker inhales more deeply and for longer, facilitating the deposition of carcinogens in the airways.
    "Cannabis smokers end up with five times more carbon monoxide in their bloodstream (than tobacco smokers)," team leader Richard Beasley, at the Medical Research Institute of New Zealand, said in a telephone interview.
    "There are higher concentrations of carcinogens in cannabis smoke ... what is intriguing to us is there is so little work done on cannabis when there is so much done on tobacco."
    The researchers interviewed 79 lung cancer patients and sought to identify the main risk factors for the disease, such as smoking, family history and occupation. The patients were questioned about alcohol and cannabis consumption.
    In this high-exposure group, lung cancer risk rose by 5.7 times for patients who smoked more than a joint a day for 10 years, or two joints a day for 5 years, after adjusting for other variables, including cigarette smoking.
    "While our study covers a relatively small group, it shows clearly that long-term cannabis smoking increases lung cancer risk," wrote Beaseley.
    "Cannabis use could already be responsible for one in 20 lung cancers diagnosed in New Zealand," he added.
    "In the near future we may see an 'epidemic' of lung cancers connected with this new carcinogen. And the future risk probably applies to many other countries, where increasing use of cannabis among young adults and adolescents is becoming a major public health problem."

Whatever

could, should, maybe can - key words in that whole thing - drinking your tap water could give you cancer

I know a man who never smoked, drank, swore, - he exercised and ate all the right foods and died at age 40 from lung cancer -

Maybe they should worry about the chemicals they are spraying or injecting our foods with - maybe they should look into why Americans are so obese which leads to the highest rate of death from heart disease in the world

Hmm whats safer a ho-ho or a joint - wait once you smoke a joint you usually eat a ho-ho - hmmmmmmm
    Quote Originally Posted by Buff View Post
    More Americans have been killed by New England Patriots players than by Ebola.

15. The Following 3 Users High Fived OB For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:

Quote Originally Posted by orangenblue420 View Post
    Whatever

could, should, maybe can - key words in that whole thing - drinking your tap water could give you cancer

I know a man who never smoked, drank, swore, - he exercised and ate all the right foods and died at age 40 from lung cancer -

Maybe they should worry about the chemicals they are spraying or injecting our foods with - maybe they should look into why Americans are so obese which leads to the highest rate of death from heart disease in the world

Hmm whats safer a ho-ho or a joint - wait once you smoke a joint you usually eat a ho-ho - hmmmmmmm
    This happened because me, Bill and Joe smoked around him.

17. The Following User High Fived CoachChaz For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Von

Quote Originally Posted by Devilspawn View Post
    Then take it in a tea. It's a leaf so it shouldn't be harmful if made properly. I don't do the stuff because I have an addictive personality and I know I would be a pothead. I can believe this story about the smoking of the Love Boat, but not drinking it, who knows.

Come see me DS - I'll make you....ummmm wait what were we talking about - damn short term memory loss

I like the tea idea though - I may just have to try it - empty a tea bag - throw a few MJ leaves in there and hope it tastes better than bong water - not that I know what that tastes like

19. The Following User High Fived OB For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Von

Quote Originally Posted by CoachChaz View Post
    This happened because me, Bill and Joe smoked around him.
    Why you aint smokin round me

Adopted Bronco:
    Von

F it - Im high fivin the whole damn thread - LOL

Adopted Bronco:

Why you aint smokin round me
    We smoke tobacco sweetheart.

Adopted Bronco:
    Kendall Hinton!

Coach doesn't need a joint to eat a ho-ho.

24. The Following 3 Users High Fived BroncoJoe For This Post:

F it - Im high fivin the whole damn thread - LOL
    Um.... I haven't gotten my hi 5 yet.

tia

26. The Following 2 Users High Fived DallasChief For This Post:

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information