Thread: BuffaloBills.com:Passing Game Has Stiff Opening Challenge

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

Default BuffaloBills.com:Passing Game Has Stiff Opening Challenge

by Chris Brown, Lead Journalist
    9/5/2007

They've combined for 72 interceptions. Since Champ Bailey and Dre Bly both entered the league in 1999 they rank second and fourth respectively in career picks. They're not afraid to be aggressive and press receivers and they win a good number of their battles.

And now they're playing in the same secondary. In the past Denver opponents would at times shy away from throwing in Bailey's direction instead throwing to the side of the field that was covered by the late Darrent Williams. But now with Bly on the other side a team's first two options at receiver figure to be well covered.

So what's an offense to do when it's time to throw?

J.P. Losman and Buffalo's passing attack will be the first to find out Sunday, but they fully believe that they'll be able to make their share of plays in the opener.

"We are very, very confident - like I said from the beginning," said Losman. "We also know that there is a lot of work that has to get done, but we like where we are at, we like our chance, we like the schemes, we love our players, our offensive line, our tight ends, our receivers, our running backs and our quarterback situation. Right now everything is set and it's going to be fun to see how we go and see how much we get accomplished."

Though it was only Wednesday Peerless Price came off the practice field encouraged by what offensive coordinator Steve Fairchild was putting into the game plan for what's widely considered one of the better cornerback tandems.

"I like what we have put in so far, we don't have our whole package in, but thus far I like the things we're doing and hopefully we can be successful in doing those," said Price. "There are going to be plays for us to make we've just go to make them."

While the Bills have a lot of respect for Bailey, who many in Buffalo's locker room consider the best cover corner in the league, they don't sound like they're going to shy away from challenging him in the game Sunday knowing Lee Evans will likely be Bailey's top assignment.

"If they want to play one-on-one match up with (Lee Evans) we are going to take our chances," said Losman. "It's our best receiver versus their best corner. We feel Lee is one of the top receivers in the league. He probably should have got more recognition last year which he didn't. Then you have Champ Bailey who has been getting the recognition for a couple of years. It is going to be fun to see those guys go at it if they want to give us one-on-one match-ups."

"To be good you have to go against the best," said Evans plainly. "It's a match-up that I am certainly looking forward to. That whole defense and their whole secondary is a veteran secondary and to be successful against them you have to be good. I think we prepare hard and we have to take what they throw at us. We can't back down just because they've been good. We've got to go out and try to do things the way we need to. I think everybody, especially in the receiving room, is looking forward to it."

"I think they're smart, savvy and crafty," said Price of Bailey and Bly. "Champ is the best, hands down, but even the best can be beaten."

But poised to help Bailey and Bly on the back end is Denver's latest veteran signee Simeon Rice. Signed on Tuesday Rice might be ready to play Sunday. Only Bruce Smith, Reggie White and Kevin Greene have more double digit sack seasons than Rice. With his pass rushing ability coming off the edge it could raise the degree of difficulty to make plays consistently in the passing game.

Price had a personal request for Rice for Sunday knowing the impact he can have on a game.

"Hopefully Simeon you'll just be a spot player," said Price. "You don't need to come in week one and get two or three sacks. Get your conditioning up for week three or even week two is alright."

"Everybody knows he's a tremendous pass rusher," said head coach Dick Jauron. "He's had great success in the league rushing the passer. I have no idea whether he'll be ready. My hope is that he's not, that he gets real good down the line somewhere else. I imagine they'll use him rushing the passer. That's what he does. That's how he's made his name."

Denver head coach Mike Shanahan hasn't decided how much or if Rice will dress on Sunday.

To counter that potential weapon however, the Bills have rookie tailback Marshawn Lynch who could represent a coverage problem for the Broncos. Though the Broncos' linebacking corps is athletic, a defense almost has to commit a defensive back to Lynch if they want effective coverage.

"If guys want to drop back and just kind of play one-on-one with the back with a linebacker or anybody they are going to have a tough time," said Losman. "We are going to move (Lynch) around and try to find that one-on-one match-up and if they give it to us we're going to take it because he is that good. That is what he does best."

Lynch's effectiveness in the run game is obviously also a factor as it can force safeties to creep up to the line providing more passing options over the top.

Still the Bills know Denver's pass defense will be formidable with the talent they've added on the front and back end. But the Bills attack believes they're much better as well.

"It's a challenge but we are definitely looking forward to it and definitely confident," said Losman. "It's time now for everyone to see how much better we've gotten."

http://www.buffalobills.com/news/news.jsp?NEWS_ID=5190

good find

haha JP sounds a little too confident if you ask me,

what happened to the last young QB that tried to beat champ, oh yeah i think he was int'd 2 times

we can only hope cant we, more like expect i guess
    ------
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
    ------

Do not count this team out our D is far form being ready. If losman get time to throw even Champ will have a tough time covering Evans. He is one of the best in the NFL.

I have this one down as a loss.

Adopted Bronco:
    Josey Jewell

Default Well . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Jrwiz View Post
    Do not count this team out our D is far form being ready. If losman get time to throw even Champ will have a tough time covering Evans. He is one of the best in the NFL.

I have this one down as a loss.
    It's not like we don't have any teeth.

I hear Walker is one of the best, too.

-----
    Though He slay me, I will trust in Him . . . (Job 13:15)

Quote Originally Posted by topscribe View Post
    It's not like we don't have any teeth.

I hear Walker is one of the best, too.

-----
    Right now they have DL, and getting the ball to Walker is dependent on Jay not being flat on his back all day. We might have a DL, if they all introduce them selves on the flight over there.

Remember that this team has been a real slow starter in the first game of the year and they do even worse in the early game on the east coast.

Adopted Bronco:
    Demaryius Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by Jrwiz View Post
    Right now they have DL, and getting the ball to Walker is dependent on Jay not being flat on his back all day. We might have a DL, if they all introduce them selves on the flight over there.

Remember that this team has been a real slow starter in the first game of the year and they do even worse in the early game on the east coast.

I read Dogfish's breakdown and actually they have been having problems with there front four. They have two solid defensive ends but the middle of the defensive line is suspect.

Again this is according Dogfish and he could be mistaken, but I have found him pretty accurate over the last couple of years.

I think JP could be right.

In the preseason, we had WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY too many 3rd down conversions, many of them 3rd and very long.

Every conversion was made by passing to the 3rd and 4th options.

Champ and Bly may indeed shut down the #1 and #2 receivers, but they can't cover those others. That goes to the linebackers. As we have seen, we have some growing to do in that dept.
    Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. - Albert Einstein

Silence in the face of evil is itself evil: God will not hold us guiltless. Not to speak is to speak. Not to act is to act. - Dietrich Bonhoeffer

let us hope for a win...

and champ+ bly pick 6's...

many of them...

i also hope foxy has a good game in the slot...

he will need to...

________
    Web Shows
    Last edited by anton...; 08-31-2011 at 07:10 PM.

Adopted Bronco:
    broncos_mtnman

I love reading and hearing about a confident opposing QB playing against Champ and Co.

I think JP needs to dial up Matt Leinarts number and ask him about Challenging CHamp.

Better yet, JP...why don't you give your cross town counter part Tom Brady a call and ask him about challenging CHamp.

Sounds good to me.

Let JP be confident. Champ and Bly are confident also.

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information