Thread: Jay Cutler watch

Default Jay Cutler watch

Bears try to salvage something and halt losing streak against lowly Rams - The Canadian Press

Broncos coming full circle: Denver faces final piece of the offseason's QB ... - Longmont Daily Times-Call

Broncos coming full circle: Denver faces final piece of the offseason’s QB controversy on Sunday

By Brian Howell
    © 2009 Longmont Times-Call

Kyle Orton is the starting quarterback of the Denver Broncos.

Jay Cutler is throwing gobs of interceptions for the Chicago Bears, instead of for the Broncos.

Over in Kansas City, Matt Cassel’s doing what he can to make the Chiefs a winning team.

For the most part, the three quarterbacks haven’t had much to do with each other during their NFL careers.

During the spring, however, the three were linked to one another as the Broncos and Cutler played out a public feud.

The quick version of the story: Josh McDaniels was hired as the Broncos’ head coach in January after serving as an assistant in New England. He then expressed interest in acquiring Cassel, with whom he had worked for several years, from the Patriots, who were shopping Cassel. Cutler, coming off his first Pro Bowl season, got upset and wanted no part of playing for the Broncos anymore. Cassel was traded to Kansas City. The Cutler-McDaniels feud blew up, and Cutler was traded to Chicago for Orton.

On Sunday, McDaniels will lead the Broncos into Kansas City to face Cassel and the Chiefs. It’ll be an opportunity for the two to renew their friendship, but they couldn’t avoid the questions this week about the drama they were involved with over the spring.

After all, it was McDaniels’ interest in Cassel that started the whole saga. As it played out, however, the quarterback didn’t understand how his name got dragged into it.

“I was watching ESPN like you were and going, ‘How in the heck did my name get thrown in here?’” Cassel said.

Ultimately, he didn’t have much to do with the saga, but — at least publicly — it was McDaniels’ interest in Cassel that upset Cutler and led to the trade.

“It was kind of crazy, because it was more speculation, I think, than anything else,” Cassel said. “When I was going through (the offseason), I really didn’t have any contact with Denver.”

McDaniels having interest in bringing Cassel to Denver made sense. The two worked together for four years. Cassel was the Patriots’ backup quarterback for three of those years, but when starter Tom Brady injured his knee during the 2008 season opener, Cassel took over, leading the team to an 11-5 record.

His performance — and Brady’s health — led to the Patriots trading Cassel to Kansas City.

McDaniels said he’s happy for his former quarterback, who has thrown for 1,898 yards and 13 touchdowns for the Chiefs this season.

“He got what he deserved in terms of having an opportunity to go to another franchise and be the starting quarterback, and it’s a well-deserved opportunity,” McDaniels said.

If not for McDaniels’ influence, Cassel might not be in K.C. today, he said.

“He really helped me grow up as a quarterback in this league,” Cassel said. “I give a lot of credit to me being in this position to him.”

In the end, the Broncos, Chiefs and Bears seem to be pleased with how the dust settled — although the Bears could do without a few of Cutler’s league-high 20 interceptions.

“I love where I’m at,” Cassel said. “I think there’s a lot of great things to come here in Kansas City.”

GETTING BETTER: Prior to their seventh game of the season, the Broncos cut punter Brett Kern and signed 16-year veteran Mitch Berger.

Berger, who played at the University of Colorado, struggled his first two weeks but has punted very well the past three weeks.

“What he brings to the table is, obviously, experience,” Broncos special teams coordinator Mike Priefer said.

Priefer said Berger is a good situational punter, adding, “The things we ask our punter to do is different from a lot of teams.”

Rather than booming kicks, the Broncos want their punter to kick the ball to a spot.

“I think Mitch is doing better each week with trying to put the ball where we ask him to put it and letting our guys go down there and cover,” McDaniels said.

In the past three weeks, Berger has averaged 46.6 yards per punt, while opponents have averaged just 4.9 yards per return. His first two weeks, those numbers were 38.5 and 8.3.

EXTRA POINTS: Safety Brian Dawkins (ankle) practiced Friday for the first time this week, but he was limited in his participation. He is listed as questionable for Sunday. Every other player has had full participation all week. ... The Broncos have lost five consecutive December road games. ... The Chiefs have lost four consecutive December home games.

Brian Howell can be reached at bhowell@times-call.com.

NFL intercepts Bears-Blackhawks ads - Chicago Tribune

NFL intercepts Bears-Blackhawks ads
    Share |

Those innovative ads the Chicago Bears and Chicago Blackhawks shot together in October out at Halas Hall?

The ones in which Bears quarterback Jay Cutler (above, right) and Blackhawks captain Jonathan Toews (above, left) traded passing tips and Bears linebacker Lance Briggs and Hawks defenseman Brent Seabrook compared notes on how big hits cause big turnovers?

They’re never going to see the light of day, by order of the National Football League.

Boy, nothing is going right for the Bears this season.

And it’s a rare setback in what has, to this point, been a largely charmed Hawks season. Especially since it was the hockey team that was footing the bill for the “Crosstown Supporters” campaign crafted by its agency, Ogilvy & Mather.

The idea was to allow the two teams to ride the coattails of each other’s popularity, and allow their players to have some fun and show a little personality. But the two old-school sports franchises instead received an old schoolteacher rap on the knuckles from a league that zealously guards its licenses and marketing rights.

NFL team marks and logos cannot be used in connection with the promotion of other sports except by three-quarters vote of the league’s 32 clubs, according to NFL spokesman Greg Aiello.

Which is probably why the Bears-Hawks ads were believed to be unprecedented.

"We felt it was within the framework of the spirit of what the rule was,” said Scott Hagel, the Bears' senior director of corporate communications. “They felt differently and we have to respect their decision.”

Five commercials pairing Hawks and Bears players — featuring Cutler, Briggs, Devin Hester, Robbie Gould and Greg Olsen from the Bears; Toews, Seabrook, Patrick Kane, Patrick Sharp and Brian Campbell from the Hawks — were shot in Lake Forest on a rare off day shared by both teams.

The Hawks paid to produce the ads, and pledged to buy time and place the spots, although the Bears were going to donate airtime on programs they own. But, publicly at least, it doesn’t appear there are hard feelings, just regret.

“We still continue to have a strong bond with their organization, and we’ll explore other opportunities that are within the parameters of the NFL,” said Brandon Faber, the Blackhawks director of media relations. “We’re certainly big fans of theirs.”

Jay Blunk, the Blackhawks senior vice president of business operations, had said the genesis of the campaign came from a National Hockey League executives meeting in May when someone tossed out a statistic that 92 percent of NHL fans are also National Football League fans.

"I remember writing the word 'Bears' and circling it," Blunk said in October. "The Blackhawks are an up-and-coming brand, on the move. But the Chicago Bears are an iconic international brand. So when it came to attaching our brand to something with great credibility and great reach, there was no bigger fish than the Chicago Bears. We were very fortunate the Bears allowed us to do this."

Unfortunately, they didn’t have the final say.

“We’re disappointed that the fans won’t get to see the end point of the project,” the Bears' Hagel said. “The Blackhawks organization as a whole was phenomenal through the whole process, even when the league told us we couldn’t participate anymore. So we couldn’t have more respect for them.”

[URL="http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/football/bears/chi-091204-bears-mailbag-pompei,0,4423413.story"]
    Dan Pompei's Bears mailbag: The Cutler/Hester combo - Chicago Tribune

Cutler/Hester combo
    The Bears writer answers your questions weekly

Bears quarterback Jay Cutler and wide receiver Devin Hester leave the field after turning the ball over to Arizona. (Nam Y. Huh, Associated Press / November 8, 2009)

Related
    Pick 'em: Bears-Rams
    Bears vs. St. Louis Rams. Noon. FOX. Who ya got?

Bears win big
    Bears win close
    Rams win close
    Rams win big
    Tie. It could happen!

Key matchups, predictions: Chicago Bears vs. St. Louis Rams
    Pick 'em: Sam Farmer's Week 13 NFL picks
    Stories
    Rosenblog: If Bears can't sack QB, so then sack coach
    Topics
    NFL
    Chicago Bears
    Football
    See more topics »
    XJay Cutler
    Greg Olsen
    Johnny Knox
    National Football Conference
    Super Bowl
    San Francisco 49ers
    Sports Illustrated (magazine)
    Robbie Gould
    Lance Briggs
    Brian Urlacher
    Devin Hester
    Tommie Harris
    Charles Tillman
    Alex Brown
    Multi-Sport Events By Dan Pompei

Tribune staff reporter

7:12 p.m. CST, December 4, 2009
    E-mail Print Share Text Size

Got a question for Dan? Email him at dpompei@tribune.com

My question is simple: People who say "it's not Cutler's fault" are labeled Cutler apologists. People that say, "He's a horrid, turnover prone QB" are labeled haters. So, what's your take? -- Jim Sacco; Abingdon, Va.

Thanks Jim. I think we all should evaluate Cutler for what he is. It's true that it's not all Cutler's fault. He has been put in some horrible situations. But it's also true that he has played well below expectations. If Cutler is indeed a "franchise" quarterback, he should be capable of lifting up the players around him. I would argue he has dragged down the players around him this year. He has a long way to go before I'll be ready to call him a "franchise" quarterback. But I still love his potential.

I feel like there is a looming issue about Jay Cutler that has not been touched on; that is, what explanation has he given about his poor mechanics? I never watched him in Denver too much, I just always heard everyone rave over him. Are his bad mechanics due to our dreadful offensive line or was this something he showed in Denver? I still like the trade (although I have no idea how we will ever surround him with enough talent), but this makes me worried. -- Dan, Champaign

Inconsistent mechanics are nothing new for Cutler. Some quarterbacks just are not textbook throwers. Cutler is one of those guys--never has been, never will be. He has so much ability that he has not had to throw the way coaches tell you to throw. I don't think poor mechanics have been his problem though. I think poor decisions and poor reaction to pressure have been much bigger problems.

Before the season started, a writer for Sports Illustrated had the Bears going to the Super Bowl. Many sports writers had them winning their division. Why are the Bears playing so bad then? Is it coaching; is it good players just not trying; or is it injuries to key players? Or is it the Sports writers not knowing their stuff? -- Bernard Gardocki; Collegeville, Pa.

When it comes to the Bears, I think a lot of us underperformed this year: coaches, players and even sportswriters. But sportswriters weren't the only ones who thought this team was better than it was. I talked with two NFL head coaches this week and two assistants from other teams. All four men, without prompting, expressed surprise at how poorly the Bears had performed. I should point out, however, that I did not pick the Bears to win the NFC North. I picked the Vikings. And I also picked the Vikings to win the Super Bowl. We'll see how that one comes out.

I realize that Devin Hester needs to refine his routes, but the man is a playmaker and I think Cutler needs to get him to be THE guy. Now that the season is over I say save Matt Forte (overused last year) and try to get Hester involved a LOT MORE. Bennet and Knox are nice also but if Cutler doesn't overthrow Hester a couple times we are still in hunt. -- Bill Marchetti; Freeland, Pa.

I'm with you Bill. I wish Cutler would look for Hester more. Whenever he has thrown to him, Hester has not disappointed. He has shown an ability to run good routes and get open, good hands and run after the catch. Hester has too much talent to be overlooked the way he has been overlooked in recent games. It seems like he had one bad game, against the 49ers, and Cutler has forgotten about him since.

If the Bears need new players, who do they keep outside of Cutler? How can they complete any kind of meaningful overhaul without high draft picks? I am afraid your answer to both those questions will be scary. -- Dan

I don't think the Bears are as bad off as their showings would lead us to believe. They have a lot of players any team would want. Among them are Cutler, Hester, Johnny Knox, Greg Olsen, Alex Brown, Tommie Harris, Brian Urlacher, Lance Briggs, Charles Tillman and Robbie Gould. Don't look for a massive overhaul as long as the Bears keep their current management team in place. They'll try to tweak things but won't clear out the locker room. In terms of not having picks in the first two rounds, I don't think it is as big a deal as a lot of people have made it out to be. We're talking about two players. Usually, there is a bout a 50 percent chance of hitting on those players. So many we're talking about one player. And maybe he doesn't contribute much for two or three years. I will say this though -- the Bears need to hit on a couple of free agents this offseason. That will be imperative.

Got a question for Dan? Email him at dpompei@tribune.com
    Copyright © 2009, Chicago Tribune

would try to get the links for this but my computer keeps freezing up..
    Last edited by Lonestar; 12-05-2009 at 06:13 PM.

2. The Following 2 Users High Fived Lonestar For This Post:

Selected for you by a sponsor:
    How to Start a Fantasy Football Business (Fantasy Ethos)
    Recommended for you:
    Play of the game in slo-mo (Chicago Tribune)
    Chicago Bears don't give Jay Cutler a chance (Chicago Tribune)
    Bears Game Day: Third-quarter observation (Chicago Breaking Sports)
    Bears depth chart needs to be depth charged, starting at the top (RosenBlog)

E-mail Print Reprint Digg Twitter Facebook StumbleUpon
    COMMENTS (17) | Add Comment

Comments:

01400 characters remaining

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bliss.

BroncosNation (12/05/2009, 3:53 PM )

Report Comment

Report item as: (required)

Inappropriate language Threatening language Advertising/spam Other

Additional Comments: (optional)

500 characters limit

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

There's a lot of criticism of Cutler on these comments. There's even a website already - www.TradeJayCutler.com - I guess Chicago doesn't have a lot of patience for so-called "franchise quarterbacks." The fact is Orton had the ability to win and be competitive with less - it's called overachieving and it's a great quality to admire. Cutler seems to underachieve. While the Bears certainly aren't Super Bowl-worthy in terms of talent, they sure could be better than 4-7.

mjmarcinkus (12/05/2009, 3:18 PM )

Report Comment

500 characters limit

liljoe, I disagree with your assessment of Orton. I was (and still am) a fan of Rex Grossman, but when Orton became the starter last year and the year before, you couldn't help but notice that Orton had more time to throw the ball. That was because of Orton's pocket mobility and awareness. Yeah, he can't run as fast as Cutler, but Orton moved around the pocket easily and seemed to work better with his offensive line. Remember, O-Lineman have their backs turned to the QB and don't necessarily know where he is going to be moving. Trying to block for someone that they can't see is difficult. Orton staying in the pocket made life easier for the O-line to do their job.

roy2115 (12/05/2009, 2:16 PM )

Report Comment

500 characters limit

See All comments

Change is in the air with the Bears - ESPN
    [/URL]

Change is in the air with the BearsIf Angelo and Smith are fired after this season, it's justifiable and their faultComment Email Print Share By Jon Greenberg
    ESPNChicago.com
    Archive
    The consensus among Bears fans, sports radio hosts and pretty much anyone who has watched a down of Bears football this season is that either Jerry Angelo or Lovie Smith must go. Scratch that. The consensus is they both should be relieved of their duties, contracts be damned, along with half the players, the media apologists (if there are any left), the guys who wave the "4th phase" flags and every goof who puts his own name on the back of a jersey.

[+] EnlargeJonathan Daniel/Getty Images
    Jerry Angelo's inability to draft defense seems to be the impetus behind the team's downfall.

If the Angry Fans had their way, Angelo and Smith would take a timeout ... far away from the field. Permanently.

Not me, though. I say bring them back. Why, you say?

Well, I think it's a kind of masochistic curiosity. Covering the Bears this season is like driving by a car wreck on the highway. You don't want to gawk, but you can't help it. Every time I think the Bears have hit relative rock bottom this year, they've managed to surprise me with a worse effort. When they went into the bye at 3-1, I don't think many people, even the most grizzled cynics, thought they'd be 4-7 right now, and a pretty horrible 4-7 at that.

I'm seriously intrigued by how bad another season of the Angelo-Smith-Jay Cutler Bears can be. Through 11 games, Chicago has beaten a lousy Seattle team, two jokes in Detroit and Cleveland, and a Pittsburgh team with the attention span of Ron Artest at halftime. If the Bears finish with more than six wins, I'll be shocked, and I'm the idiot who mapped out a road to 9-7 two weeks ago.

I'm curious about how a change in offensive coordinators -- there is no level of morbidity that makes me want to endure another season of Ron Turner -- and perhaps a new defensive coordinator can transform a team in flux. Can Angelo manage to add a dark horse playmaker without a pick in the first two rounds of the 2010 draft?

There is so much work to be done. Angelo's shopping list looks like an expansion team's: offensive linemen, a backup running back, a playmaking wide receiver, a linebacker, a young defensive lineman, a linebacker, a safety or two.

Various news reports quote officials representing the owners and players giving ominous signs that the 2010 season will be uncapped, without a new collective bargaining agreement, thus upsetting the fiscal system in place to sign free agents. No one knows exactly whom will be available on the market, because if the year is uncapped, around 200 would-be free agents wouldn't be eligible. Wouldn't this hurt a team like the Bears?

While the addition of Cutler in April changed offensive strategy quite a bit, the Bears' gambles in signing Orlando Pace to play left tackle and Frank Omiyale, a natural right tackle, to play guard, have done more to wreak havoc on the offense and hurt any chance of improvement with Cutler under center.

[+] EnlargeJonathan Daniel/Getty Images
    The Bears players say the team's struggles are not Lovie Smith's fault, but his Cover 2 defense isn't fooling anyone.

Now that Angelo has his quarterback, who is about as popular in Chicago right now as Tiger Woods is in his own house, thanks to 20 interceptions and more bad games than great ones, the GM can try to add some linemen and a few more weapons on offense while rebuilding his defense.

Maybe the Bears can compete in 2010. Maybe the Bears rally around nice guy Smith, who will be looking for an unlikely extension if he returns.

But then I think about how miserable this season has gotten, and how much worse things could get next year and I say, forget all of that. Fire both of them and start over now. Why waste another season when the Bears have sputtered three straight years since peaking in 2006-07?

Just because the Bears may have erred in signing Angelo and Smith to extensions in 2007 doesn't mean the McCaskeys and President/CEO Ted Phillips have to double down when things have gotten worse. In fact, doesn't this situation, a deteriorating veteran-laden team sick with bad bets, big contracts and over-ripe memories of the past, seem perfectly right for a sea change at the top? Isn't this how it usually goes?

The prevailing notion is that the McCaskeys are too penurious, or perhaps too loyal, to fire both Angelo and Smith with so much money to eat, so maybe any argument for a massive overhaul is just mental gymnastics. But it's still something to discuss, because every team peaks, and it seems like instead of leaving a cold card table, Angelo kept cashing in for more chips. Sometimes you have to change your own luck.

We can wax philosophically about players' mindsets and how guys are so willing to lay down and die for Lovie, as if the exhortations of a calm, even-keeled coach like Smith could flip an emotional switch for a bunch of grown men, but there is no empirical evidence to prove or disprove that this team wants Smith to stay. We have to believe their PC locker room chatter, which states unequivocally that it's not Lovie's fault.

Angelo, and his lead negotiator Cliff Stein, should get some love in the locker room, considering the loyalty Angelo's shown at re-signing veterans, even after Lance Briggs blasted the organization before taking the franchise tag in 2007 and eventually signing a new deal after that season. Money talks and Angelo has earned some credibility with his players.

But throw that stuff out the window, because players don't have the vote. It's up to the higher-ups in the organization to decide the fates of the two most important Bears, who ultimately help the team bring in the all-important buck by winning and making playoff appearances. And if they are capable of making a heartless, calculated decision, they should look at the demise of a once-proud defense as a reason to make a change.

Kevin Seifert, ESPN's veteran NFC North reporter, broke down the Bears' struggles in drafting defense, which seems to be the impetus behind the team's downfall. Angelo just stopped making good decisions, or just got plain unlucky with injuries and players who lacked the requisite heart to compete in the NFL.

Angelo, who came aboard before the 2001 season, did a good job of building a core around the inherited Brian Urlacher, along with player personnel director Bobby DePaul and director of college scouting Greg Gabriel, both in their ninth years with the team, but has failed in the past five drafts to find a difference-maker, or even a consistent playmaker. And it's not like he hasn't tried, selecting 20 defensive players from 2005 to 2009.

Of that 20, only a handful currently play supporting roles on this defense, like defensive backs Danieal Manning, Kevin Payne, Al Afalava and Zack Bowman. Defensive tackle Marcus Harrison starts, but how often do you hear about him? Linebacker Jamar Williams has been forced into action by injuries. These are average to good NFL players, but they haven't followed in the footsteps of stars Charles Tillman and Briggs.

ESPNChicago.com Bears blog
    The latest news from Bears beat reporter Jeff Dickerson. Blog

The Bears didn't have picks in the first two rounds in 2009, and their next two picks, defensive linemen Jarron Gilbert and Henry Melton, have been invisible. Johnny Knox and Afalava are regulars, but only Knox looks like he has star potential. And he doesn't play defense.

Smith's Cover 2 scheme isn't beguiling anyone, because his line isn't getting a push and there is no successor to Mike Brown in the middle of the secondary, and no up-and-coming playmaker anywhere in the defense.

After two disappointing seasons, the defense hasn't had much of a chance to make an impact with injuries sapping much of the depth and veteran leadership.

Cincinnati scored on its first seven possessions and Arizona on its first six in twin blowouts. Minnesota put up 24 points in the second quarter alone. Maybe the Bears lose those games regardless, but the sheer ugliness of those losses is cause for concern.

Football Outsiders ranks the Bears 21st in defensive efficiency this season, a perfectly mediocre balance: 22nd in pass defense and 21st in rush defense. Of the teams below them, only Atlanta and Jacksonville have shots at the playoffs, and only barely. The Bears have 10 interceptions, which puts them 16th in the league, and 22 sacks, which is 21st.

They are giving up an average of 339.8 yards, 18th best in the league, and are third-worst in third-down percentage with teams converting at an eye-popping 46 percent. That last figure almost certainly can be pinned on the loss of Urlacher, who went down in the opener.

Last year, the Bears were seventh in efficiency, 10th in passing and fifth in rushing. The year before, they were eighth, 14th in passing and fourth in rushing. In their Super Bowl season, they were second overall, a dominating, turnover-creating, try-and-score-on-us defense. Things have changed gradually, and then all of a sudden.

Coming off a game in which the Bears gave up 537 yards, the most they've surrendered in 15 years, and allowed 40-year-old MVP candidate Brett Favre to pass for 392 yards while only getting sacked once and hit five times, the team's defensive shortcomings are hard to ignore.

Maybe it's the scheme. Maybe it's the players. More likely, it's a combination of both, plus injuries. Whatever the reason for the decline, it's past time to shake things up on defense, and it goes deeper than just demoting Bob Babich.

I'm curious to see if Angelo and Smith, two men who deserve our respect, can change their fortunes in a hurry in 2010. But I can't say keeping them would be the right move.

I know the Bill Cowher rumors are just that, innuendo. But I can't help but think he's just what this team needs -- a new voice, a new defense and a new start.

Jon Greenberg is a columnist for ESPNChicago.com.

4. The Following User High Fived Lonestar For This Post:

my god... there are only a few people on this board that would post, OR READ, that monstrosity... and they are all on the "Cutler hater" team

Wow.... obsess much?
    (the previous comment was not directed at any particular individual and was not intended to slander,disrespect or offend any reader of said statement)

6. The Following User High Fived Ravage!!! For This Post:

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information