Page 36 of 43 FirstFirst ... 26 34 35 36 37 38 ... LastLast

Thread: Tennis!

Adopted Bronco:
    Mister Cobble

The GOAT discussion is interesting. Nadal and Federer have pretty clearly established themselves as the two best ever in my opinion. Federer has more overall success, but Nadal has dominated him head to head most of their careers. I prefer Nadal but I'm admittedly biased there.

2. The Following User High Fived BroncoWave For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    only Von

I'd pick Fed over Nadal in the GOAT discussion, but I like them both and do think they're 1a and 1b.

4. The Following User High Fived aberdien For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

GOATs (that I have seen) in no particular order.
    Ivan Lendl, Pete Sampras, Andre Agassi, Roger Federer, Rafael Nadal, Novak Djokovic, Andy Murray, Andy Roddick.

Martina Navratilova, Serena Williams, Venus Williams, Lindsay Davenport, Monica Seles, Martina Hingis, Maria Sharapova.
    *The statements above are my opinions, unless they are links, because then they are links, which wouldn't make them my opinions, and I suppose stats aren't necessarily opinion, but they are certainly presented to support an opinion. Proceed accordingly.

Quote Originally Posted by Buff View Post
    What is this, amateur hour? It's TNF against the Jets and you didn't think you'd need extra booze?

6. The Following 2 Users High Fived MOtorboat For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

Jimmy Conners. Just caught the end of his career. He was great. Stefan Edberg was ending his career around then too.

Players I didn’t really get to see, Bjorn Borg, Rod Laver, John McEnroe, Ilie Nastese.
    *The statements above are my opinions, unless they are links, because then they are links, which wouldn't make them my opinions, and I suppose stats aren't necessarily opinion, but they are certainly presented to support an opinion. Proceed accordingly.

What is this, amateur hour? It's TNF against the Jets and you didn't think you'd need extra booze?

8. The Following User High Fived MOtorboat For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Mister Cobble

I don't think roddick is in that class. He had a nice career, but I'd put him in the second tier historically. He just had too short of a run being at the top of the tennis world and just didn't have the same level of success winning Grand Slams as those other guys.

10. The Following User High Fived BroncoWave For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

Quote Originally Posted by BroncoWave View Post
    I don't think roddick is in that class. He had a nice career, but I'd put him in the second tier historically. He just had too short of a run being at the top of the tennis world and just didn't have the same level of success winning Grand Slams as those other guys.
    Troll successful.

12. The Following User High Fived MOtorboat For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    only Von

I wouldn't put Roddick or Murray in the same class. They're tier 2. Sustained greatness is needed to be tier 1.

14. The Following User High Fived aberdien For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Mister Cobble

Quote Originally Posted by MOtorboat View Post
    Troll successful.
    How am I trolling? I liked Roddick, but he only won one Grand Slam and never even made it past the 4th round of the French Open. To be such a non factor on one of the 3 major surfaces and to only have one title makes it hard for me to put you in the top tier historically. He was a very good player, but you have to draw the GOAT line somewhere, and it's hard for me to put him over that line.

16. The Following User High Fived BroncoWave For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Mister Cobble

Quote Originally Posted by aberdien View Post
    I wouldn't put Roddick or Murray in the same class. They're tier 2. Sustained greatness is needed to be tier 1.
    Agreed. Murray is borderline, and I think has a slightly better case than Roddick, but I'd put them both slightly short of that top tier.

18. The Following User High Fived BroncoWave For This Post:

So when how good was Pete Sampras? In the 90's he had a big buzz - is he argubaly GOAT? From what little I watched of tennis, I want blistering serves and a brutal power game. I'm a simple man.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaded View Post
    Y’all know I’m an OL Groupie but I think Jeudy is going to be worth missing out on a T, knock on wood.

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

How am I trolling? I liked Roddick, but he only won one Grand Slam and never even made it past the 4th round of the French Open. To be such a non factor on one of the 3 major surfaces and to only have one title makes it hard for me to put you in the top tier historically. He was a very good player, but you have to draw the GOAT line somewhere, and it's hard for me to put him over that line.
    I trolled you, and it is working spectacularly.

Adopted Bronco:
    Mister Cobble

Quote Originally Posted by King87 View Post
    So when how good was Pete Sampras? In the 90's he had a big buzz - is he argubaly GOAT? From what little I watched of tennis, I want blistering serves and a brutal power game. I'm a simple man.
    Yes he's right up there. Had the record for most Grand Slam titles until Federer broke it. He had similar struggles on clay as Roddick but he was so much more overwhelming dominant on the other two surfaces it makes up for it.

22. The Following User High Fived BroncoWave For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

Quote Originally Posted by King87 View Post
    He is the second greatest grass player of all time.

It’s hard to place him at the top of the greats list because he could never win at the French (clay), and therefore doesn’t have the career slam.

Adopted Bronco:
    Mister Cobble

Quote Originally Posted by MOtorboat View Post
    I trolled you, and it is working spectacularly.
    Huh, odd trolling attempt since I liked Roddick as well.

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

Huh, odd trolling attempt since I liked Roddick as well.
    Oh, good grief. Laugh, Wave. I put him there specifically because we’ve had that conversation. He doesn’t belong amongst those people.

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information