Page 33 of 43 FirstFirst ... 23 31 32 33 34 35 ... LastLast

Thread: Tennis!

Adopted Bronco:
    Mister Cobble

Points almost never get taken for slamming rackets. This same ref did not penalize Djokovic for slamming his racket in this very tournament. You are full of it, Mo.

At least you didn't try to act like players are warned/penalized for coaching, because you KNOW that's not the case.

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

The case of Fabio Fognini ... just a year ago getting kicked out of the doubles draw.

http://www.tennis.com/pro-game/2017/...lam-ban/69895/
    *The statements above are my opinions, unless they are links, because then they are links, which wouldn't make them my opinions, and I suppose stats aren't necessarily opinion, but they are certainly presented to support an opinion. Proceed accordingly.

Quote Originally Posted by Buff View Post
    What is this, amateur hour? It's TNF against the Jets and you didn't think you'd need extra booze?

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

Quote Originally Posted by BroncoWave View Post
    Points almost never get taken for slamming rackets. This same ref did not penalize Djokovic for slamming his racket in this very tournament. You are full of it, Mo.

At least you didn't try to act like players are warned/penalized for coaching, because you KNOW that's not the case.
    Well, it was Djokovic’s first offense and he got a warning. Djokovic complained a little, which they’ll let you do. What he didn’t do is go do it again. Which is what Serena did. So I’m not full of shit and neither is the umpire.
    *The statements above are my opinions, unless they are links, because then they are links, which wouldn't make them my opinions, and I suppose stats aren't necessarily opinion, but they are certainly presented to support an opinion. Proceed accordingly.

What is this, amateur hour? It's TNF against the Jets and you didn't think you'd need extra booze?

4. The Following User High Fived MOtorboat For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Ray Finkel

Quote Originally Posted by MOtorboat View Post
    McEnroe got docked points all the time. Also got kicked out of the Australian open. Players get warned and docked all the time, both genders. What they don’t do is then berate the umpire for four games straight and get a warning, a point deduction and then a game deduction because they just won’t stop.

Meanwhile, while she’s calling the umpire a liar and going on and on about how she doesn’t cheat, her coach admits to coaching her, live, on camera. So, she was lying too.

It was a pathetic display.
    I wasnt aware that John got docked pts but i do remember his tirades. Either way i still love a lot of his matches with Connors back then.

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

Quote Originally Posted by Northman View Post
    I wasnt aware that John got docked pts but i do remember his tirades. Either way i still love a lot of his matches with Connors back then.
    People don’t see point deductions very often because players stop after you get the warning.

7. The Following User High Fived MOtorboat For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Mister Cobble

The case of Fabio Fognini ... just a year ago getting kicked out of the doubles draw.

http://www.tennis.com/pro-game/2017/...lam-ban/69895/
    From this article:

Like Nastase, Fognini is part of a long line of bad actors in tennis who have largely avoided facing serious, behavior-changing punishment. With Nasty, as with John McEnroe, their tempers were often excused as the regrettable but understandable flip sides of their artistic talents. For his part, Fognini has often been cast as a comical sideshow, the ringmaster of a ridiculous but harmless circus that adds flavor to the game. His words and actions at the Open should put an end to that too-kind characterization, both for Fognini and for any other player who believes that crude insults are a natural by-product of heated competition
    This is basically my entire point. A male player acts like an ass, it's just "comical", or "harmless", or a "sideshow". A woman acts that way, she's a "disgrace" or has "postpartum depression" or any other amount of nonsense. There is 100% a double standard in how the same behavior by men and women in sports is viewed by the public.

Adopted Bronco:
    Ray Finkel

From this article:

This is basically my entire point. A male player acts like an ass, it's just "comical", or "harmless", or a "sideshow". A woman acts that way, she's a "disgrace" or has "postpartum depression" or any other amount of nonsense. There is 100% a double standard in how the same behavior by men and women in sports is viewed by the public.
    Well, it could be different on how its treated because of the type of accusations lobbied at the ref. I think people can understand a player being upset at a call but when you start throwing out "sexist" and "racist" it tends to be a lot more personal at that point.

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

Mischa Zverev was fined 2x+ at the Australian than Serena was at the US Open. Sexism?

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/new...ectid=11980649

His offense: starting a match at the Australian while hurt to get the pay day rather than withdrawing.

Adopted Bronco:
    Mister Cobble

Mischa Zverev was fined 2x+ at the Australian than Serena was at the US Open. Sexism?

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/new...ectid=11980649
    In what way does a fine for retiring in a first round match have anything to do with Serena? And where did anyone call fine schedules sexist in the first place? You are reaching on this one.

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

In what way does a fine for retiring in a first round match have anything to do with Serena? And where did anyone call fine schedules sexist in the first place? You are reaching on this one.
    Not really. Also, what I gather men got fined at Grand Slams in 2017 more than women for behavioral issues, so these sexism charges aren’t really stacking up.

Adopted Bronco:
    Ray Finkel

Some info on Ramos the umpire under criticism for sexism which backs Mo's claim.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/09/09/s...s-us-open.html

“Carlos has been one of the top tennis umpires in the world since the mid-1990s and has a reputation for being firm but fair in his handling of the players,” said Mike Morrissey, a former top chair umpire and the former head of officiating for the International Tennis Federation.
    Other players, including Murray, Venus Williams, Novak Djokovic, Rafael Nadal and Nick Kyrgios, have complained on court after receiving code violations from Ramos.
    But he has not been hesitant to penalize men. Ramos gave Murray a code violation during the 2016 Olympics after Murray accused him of “stupid umpiring.”

“No sexist issue there,” said Chris Evert, the former world No. 1, on Sunday. “His history with men players shows that.”

Although Ramos has officiated more men’s matches during his career, he also has now officiated at three of the four women’s Grand Slam singles finals: the French Open in 2005, Wimbledon in 2008 and now this year’s United States Open, where he also officiated in women’s semifinal matches in 2014 and 2016. (Williams played in four of those matches.)

On Saturday, Mouratoglou admitted that he had been giving signals to Williams, although she said she did not see them. Mouratoglou also said that the current rule banning coaching during Grand Slam tournaments (it is allowed in WTA Tour events) was a gateway to “hypocrisy” because coaching was so widespread despite the rule. In its statement Sunday, the WTA said coaching should be allowed across the sport.
    But privately and publicly, tennis officials — past and present — defended Ramos on Sunday. Morrissey said Mouratoglou’s coaching was so blatant it deserved to be sanctioned immediately.
    “I don’t know what was said by Carlos, but I don’t think I would have found a good way to remind her about the potential game penalty without throwing fuel on the fire,” Morrissey said. “Maybe there was a way, but given her mood, not easy or likely at all.”

He added that “the ‘thief’ accusation is not one any chair umpire on any court should ignore.”

The accusation was made after Williams already had expressed her discontent at length. The Grand Slam rule book defines verbal abuse as a statement about an official that “implies dishonesty or is derogatory, insulting or otherwise abusive.”

Adopted Bronco:
    Kendall Hinton!

Martina Navratilova: What Serena Got Wrong

But in her protests against an umpire during the United States Open final on Saturday, she also got part of it wrong. I don’t believe it’s a good idea to apply a standard of “If men can get away with it, women should be able to, too.” Rather, I think the question we have to ask ourselves is this: What is the right way to behave to honor our sport and to respect our opponents?

To recap: The trouble began when early in the second set, Ms. Williams was given a warning for coaching. This one is on her coach: Patrick Mouratoglou was using both hands to motion to Ms. Williams to move forward and got called on it. While it is true that illegal coaching is quite common and that most coaches do it, it’s also true that despite what many commentators have said following Saturday’s events, they are called on it quite frequently and that most of the time, players just shrug it off and know that going forward, they and their coaches now need to behave, because the next infraction will cost them a point. The player is responsible for his or her coach’s conduct. And it is actually irrelevant whether the player saw or heard whatever instructions were given; either way, it is still an infraction.

Ms. Williams was not happy about this warning and let the umpire, Carlos Ramos, know it. So far, not so bad. (It is also common for the umpire to talk to the player first about the coaching — a sort of “soft warning” before the real warning so that the player has a chance to “muzzle” the coach. Had that been done, nothing at all might have followed — but we will never know.)
    https://www.nytimes.com/2018/09/10/o...s-us-open.html

15. The Following 3 Users High Fived BroncoJoe For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    only Von

Seriously though who gives a **** about coaching from the box. Few rules are as dumb as that one.

17. The Following User High Fived aberdien For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    only Von

Quote Originally Posted by atwater27 View Post
    Dude. The match was a woman against a woman. Crying sexism because you think the ref is unfairly punishing you because you are a woman, yet the results of said punishment directly benefit the OTHER WOMAN is hilarious.
    You should have probably read the article I posted before you responded with this opinion that has nothing to do with what the article is arguing.

19. The Following User High Fived aberdien For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    only Von

I'm just mad this is a new culture war topic that has brought out people who don't give a **** about tennis to share their opinions.

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information