Thread: Golf; Anyone try the Mike Austin swing?

Default Golf; Anyone try the Mike Austin swing?

Mike Austin was a pro golfer around about the 50's-70's or so, and was consistently one of the longest hitters. During the 70's, he established the longest recorded drive in an official PGA tour event: 515 yards, and what made it even more amazing was that he was 64 years old. That, and he was using persimon wood drivers at the time, not the metal or titanium head drivers today.

Here's a preview, but it's more of a marketing thing for the vid they're selling ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oRZkx0TegqI

His swing looks real nice, and doesn't seem to look anything out of the ordinary, but then I read the excerpts ....

http://www.golfsecrets.net/ebook/ebook-free.pdf

Man, that's a funky way of swinging. He doesn't rotate his hips, nor does he sway them right to left. Instead he shifts his hips and his weight diagonaly from rear right to front left, not twisting or rotating the hips, but swinging them like a pendulum.

Has anyone tried this method? Does it work, or is it more like a gimmick?

Quote Originally Posted by omac View Post
    Mike Austin was a pro golfer around about the 50's-70's or so, and was consistently one of the longest hitters. During the 70's, he established the longest recorded drive in an official PGA tour event: 515 yards, and what made it even more amazing was that he was 64 years old. That, and he was using persimon wood drivers at the time, not the metal or titanium head drivers today.

Here's a preview, but it's more of a marketing thing for the vid they're selling ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oRZkx0TegqI

His swing looks real nice, and doesn't seem to look anything out of the ordinary, but then I read the excerpts ....

http://www.golfsecrets.net/ebook/ebook-free.pdf

Man, that's a funky way of swinging. He doesn't rotate his hips, nor does he sway them right to left. Instead he shifts his hips and his weight diagonaly from rear right to front left, not twisting or rotating the hips, but swinging them like a pendulum.

Has anyone tried this method? Does it work, or is it more like a gimmick?

I haven't had a chance to read the PDF, but will tomorrow. His swing looks pretty normal.

Yeah it does. But I don't think it is.

Adopted Bronco:
    Von

When i get the normal one down I will let you know
    Quote Originally Posted by Buff View Post
    More Americans have been killed by New England Patriots players than by Ebola.

Adopted Bronco:
    Von

To me it does look a little strange - he actually seems to be moving his hips MORE than normal - but damnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn 515 holy shot
    Quote Originally Posted by Buff View Post
    More Americans have been killed by New England Patriots players than by Ebola.

Quote Originally Posted by orangenblue420 View Post
    To me it does look a little strange - he actually seems to be moving his hips MORE than normal - but damnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn 515 holy shot
    Hehe, yeah, right now, I'll settle for hitting my driver somewhere in the fairway.

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

I'll never know if i have enough Club Head speed to whip out a 515 yard Drive ... because the harder i swing, the more to the right it goes!

Yesterday was the first time i've been since Fall. I need new Drivers, upgrade the Heads and measured to my height. The ones i have now suck so i drive with my 2 Iron. I don't get the distance but it's still a good 200-250 yard Drive, and in the middle no the fairway no less. I'll take that everytime ...

Quote Originally Posted by Skinny View Post
    I'll never know if i have enough Club Head speed to whip out a 515 yard Drive ... because the harder i swing, the more to the right it goes!

Yesterday was the first time i've been since Fall. I need new Drivers, upgrade the Heads and measured to my height. The ones i have now suck so i drive with my 2 Iron. I don't get the distance but it's still a good 200-250 yard Drive, and in the middle no the fairway no less. I'll take that everytime ...
    You're probably right about the equipment. The shaft probably doesn't fit your swing.

No matter, you strike the ball pretty well to hit a 2 iron. I only hit a 4 iron, but it does go 290 yards ..... just kidding.

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information