Thread: Field Goal Block Question

Adopted Bronco:
    Mister Cobble

Default Field Goal Block Question

I was having this discussion with some friends a few weeks ago and wasn't sure of the answer to this question:

Let's say someone is attempting a long FG and you have someone in the back of the endzone to return a short kick. If the kick gets right to the crossbar and the player is able to jump up and block it before it goes over, is that allowed? I realize it's a situation that would probably never occur but if you put a really tall player back there with a good vertical leap, it would be something interesting to try.

I can't see why it wouldn't be allowed but it's something that I've never considered before.

Adopted Bronco:
    Greg Dulcich

I can't answer your question, but it would be pretty sick to see someone block a field goal like that!

Stupidity is also a gift of God, but one mustn't misuse it. ---- Pope John Paul II

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

Is there goaltending in the NFL?
    *The statements above are my opinions, unless they are links, because then they are links, which wouldn't make them my opinions, and I suppose stats aren't necessarily opinion, but they are certainly presented to support an opinion. Proceed accordingly.

Quote Originally Posted by Buff View Post
    What is this, amateur hour? It's TNF against the Jets and you didn't think you'd need extra booze?

On the fine line between genius & insanity...
    Adopted Bronco:
    Elvis D!

It's allowed....as long as the player isn't touching the bar?

It would be interesting to see, but one would think it's all fair.

I found a 2006 NFL rulebook and surprisingly enough it's called "goal tending". From the rulebook, "Goal-tending by a defensive player leaping up to deflect a kick as it passes above the crossbar of a goalpost is prohibited. The Referee could award three points for a palpably unfair act (12-3-3)". http://blogmedia.thenewstribune.com/...20RULEBOOK.pdf

Sorry, I couldn't find anything more recent than that.
    “If there are no animals in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.” - Will Rogers (paraphrased)

6. The Following 2 Users High Fived spikerman For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Eddie Royal

Might look in here. I looked but didn't find anything on it.

http://www.nfl.com/rulebook

Adopted Bronco:
    Drew Lock

I don't think that's allowed. A player blocking a kick like that isn't allowed other than at the Line. They're not even allowed to jump on another player to attempt to block it.

Shane Dronett (I think it was him) tried that and was penalized.
    "I may not be a mathematician, but I can count to a million." - Shannon Sharpe

yeah, i remember commentators at some point during this season talk about how players aren't allowed to block kicks at the goal post, only at the LOS..
    Quote Originally Posted by Buff View Post
    I don't know much about anything. In fact, I am one of the dumbest people alive.

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information