Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8

Thread: Heath Ledger Dead at age 28

Adopted Bronco:
    Peyton Hillis...always

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    This is what is in Kapaibro's first post in this thread...

We understand people have strong feelings about the situation. However, as stated in the original post, this is not the thread to demean/degrade the life and death of Ledger.

If you wish to start a thread discussing people who commit suicide/OD then do so. But we would appreciate it if you would be respectful enough to do as Kapaibro has asked.
    Thank you Mike.
    "When we lose the right to be different, we lose the privilege to be free"
    ~Charles Evans Hughes~

The shadow of Pikes Peak (aka the lee of the stone)
    Adopted Bronco:
    Wesley Woodyard

Quote Originally Posted by beefstew25 View Post
    I guess none of those other deaths are reported by the media. Yeah it sucks, but it doesn't anymore than if he wasn't famous. That is my point.

Unless you want me to post each and every obit of anyone that died before their time, you guys come across as hypocrites.
    Why? Do you cry every time a homeless person dies of a heart attack, or is it just when Uncle Nick kicks over from one? Those of us trying to keep this thread respectful do so because we all shared some sort of common ground in our appreciation of Ledger's gifts, much as many of us would if a Bronco passed tomorrow.

Is it disrespectful to nameless heart attack victims and victims of gang violence to mourn the passing of D-Will and Nash and to share stories of our memories of them? Or is that normal and respectful behavior, to give a few moments in remembrance to someone who entertained you with his life's pursuit?

I enjoyed Heath Ledger's work. I have several hours of it on my shelf. Because I know and appreciate his work I feel more regret about his death than about the death of someone who has never impacted my life in any way.

I've had soldiers I know die in combat, and friends of the soldiers I know. I lost my best friend to a heart attack at 25. I've had relatives die, and friends commit suicide. I've had patients and co-workers pass.

Heath isn't in that category. He's not somebody I knew, not somebody I shared anything with. But I did share his movies with friends, and created memories and conversations based off of his work.

He's far less than a friend, but still more than a random person. It's not really much different than Jim Henson or Stevie Ray Vaughn. Someone whose work I appreciated is gone.

So you toast them, and wish their families well, because there are memories that I will have forever that are linked to their work.

That's not hypocritical - that's life. Hypocritical would be people who bring up soldiers dying whenever it suits their message, but have never donated to a wounded soldiers fund, or worked rehab with the boys who make it back alive but broken, or lit candles and grieved with the family members who did lose a hero. I'm not putting anyone in this thread in that category, but I do get that a lot - the using of soldiers' deaths to support a message, but without any of the actions that should follow if their deaths mean that much to you.

I guess I just hate it when celebrity somehow makes someone's life less meaningful or important, just as you hate it when celebrity singles them out amongst the crowd of similar tragedies.

And if you don't understand, that's totally fine - just try to not understand in a way that's less evocative of talk radio, the Jerry Springer show, and Fred-Phelpsian rhetoric.

Respect and courtesy is so very lacking these days - all I'm asking for is a little of both in this thread.

Thanks,

~G
    "Dream as if you will live forever. Live as if you'll die today."
    -- James Dean

My novels Mason's Order and its sequel Mason's Pledge are now available at Amazon in both paperback and kindle versions.

3. The Following 6 Users High Fived G_Money For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Richard Simmons

I guess I just don't have a connection with performers. Maybe it is the fake drama. The Sean Penn 'My life is tortured' crap.

Adopted Bronco:
    Von Miller

Quote Originally Posted by G_Money View Post
    So as one of the tens of thousands of people who die each year due to prescription drug reactions, Heath Ledger deserves your scorn and you can piss all over his family. I take it this is because he didn't become a US citizen, join the military, and have the decency to die someplace far away from shrapnel wounds?

Well, it's a free country, thanks to those men in uniform who have died defending your right to be a self-righteous *****.

I still wish one of the grieving mothers of any young dead person could make you understand that death is death, and nothing about being shot in a desert makes it more palatable than a car accident, or a bad drug cocktail, or a hospital infection, or a stroke, or a heart attack.

Every loss is just that - a loss. I'll bet money I've been to more soldiers' funerals than you have, but their being sacrificed on the altar of freedom doesn't make it better.

They're still gone.

~G
    Sorry G, but you're wrong.

They deserve so much more than anything Heath Ledger has been given.
    [

The shadow of Pikes Peak (aka the lee of the stone)
    Adopted Bronco:
    Wesley Woodyard

I can understand that. Fake drama annoys the bajeezus outta me.

Still, I connect with broken people - and most artists are broken people.

A lot of the time they annoy the hell outta me, because if they'd just shut up and work on their lives they could be much happier, better people - but I still identify with them.

Those of us who have been broken are never really made whole again, so we always identify with the fractures in others.

Former drug users are normally the first to give current drug users the benefit of the doubt. "Well I made it out, so it can be done, and if that guy would just put down the crack pipe his life could be amazing."

We psychos have the same POV about other psychos. "Man, if that dude would just get away from his crowd and stay alive he could be amazing."

Some of us just don't make it.

~G
    "Dream as if you will live forever. Live as if you'll die today."
    -- James Dean

My novels Mason's Order and its sequel Mason's Pledge are now available at Amazon in both paperback and kindle versions.

Adopted Bronco:
    Richard Simmons

I can understand that. Fake drama annoys the bajeezus outta me.

Still, I connect with broken people - and most artists are broken people.

A lot of the time they annoy the hell outta me, because if they'd just shut up and work on their lives they could be much happier, better people - but I still identify with them.

Those of us who have been broken are never really made whole again, so we always identify with the fractures in others.

Former drug users are normally the first to give current drug users the benefit of the doubt. "Well I made it out, so it can be done, and if that guy would just put down the crack pipe his life could be amazing."

We psychos have the same POV about other psychos. "Man, if that dude would just get away from his crowd and stay alive he could be amazing."

Some of us just don't make it.

~G
    He had every resource to make himself whole. He had a 2 year old reason.

That is why, in maybe my flawed internal judgement, he is below vets, soldiers, homeless, etc.

I guess it also proves just because you might think someone may have everything, they likely don't.

I've never shared this with anyone here, but I only have one testicle.

Adopted Bronco:
    Josey Jewell

Why? Do you cry every time a homeless person dies of a heart attack, or is it just when Uncle Nick kicks over from one? Those of us trying to keep this thread respectful do so because we all shared some sort of common ground in our appreciation of Ledger's gifts, much as many of us would if a Bronco passed tomorrow.

Is it disrespectful to nameless heart attack victims and victims of gang violence to mourn the passing of D-Will and Nash and to share stories of our memories of them? Or is that normal and respectful behavior, to give a few moments in remembrance to someone who entertained you with his life's pursuit?

I enjoyed Heath Ledger's work. I have several hours of it on my shelf. Because I know and appreciate his work I feel more regret about his death than about the death of someone who has never impacted my life in any way.

I've had soldiers I know die in combat, and friends of the soldiers I know. I lost my best friend to a heart attack at 25. I've had relatives die, and friends commit suicide. I've had patients and co-workers pass.

Heath isn't in that category. He's not somebody I knew, not somebody I shared anything with. But I did share his movies with friends, and created memories and conversations based off of his work.

He's far less than a friend, but still more than a random person. It's not really much different than Jim Henson or Stevie Ray Vaughn. Someone whose work I appreciated is gone.

So you toast them, and wish their families well, because there are memories that I will have forever that are linked to their work.

That's not hypocritical - that's life. Hypocritical would be people who bring up soldiers dying whenever it suits their message, but have never donated to a wounded soldiers fund, or worked rehab with the boys who make it back alive but broken, or lit candles and grieved with the family members who did lose a hero. I'm not putting anyone in this thread in that category, but I do get that a lot - the using of soldiers' deaths to support a message, but without any of the actions that should follow if their deaths mean that much to you.

I guess I just hate it when celebrity somehow makes someone's life less meaningful or important, just as you hate it when celebrity singles them out amongst the crowd of similar tragedies.

And if you don't understand, that's totally fine - just try to not understand in a way that's less evocative of talk radio, the Jerry Springer show, and Fred-Phelpsian rhetoric.

Respect and courtesy is so very lacking these days - all I'm asking for is a little of both in this thread.

Thanks,

~G
    ^^^ This is required reading in this thread. Your prerequisite to going any further here.

-----
    Though He slay me, I will trust in Him . . . (Job 13:15)

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information