Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: FYI: Subscribed to service to monitor server uptime -- Alert me if server is down

Default FYI: Subscribed to service to monitor server uptime -- Alert me if server is down

I have subsribed to a service that will monitor the server and send me a text message if the site is down, or gets one of those DB errors that happened for a few minutes last week.

I signed up for a premium service that checks every two minutes (rather than free services that check every 30 to 60 minutes, or cheaper ones that check every 5-15 minutes), and it will alert me if it gets two failures in a row (to eliminate some false positives).

So, if the server goes down or starts returning DB errors (the databased crashes), I should have a text message/page within 4-5 minutes of it being down.

Also, here is a link to a page that will show the server uptime/downtime stats:

http://www.siteuptime.com/prem_stati...&&UserId=78430

Adopted Bronco:
    Mike Leach

Damn Tned. You really go all out.

Quote Originally Posted by Benetto View Post
    Orton can't single left handedly ruin everything on O.
    We didn't lose the game; we just ran out of time. - Vince Lombardi

"I make mistakes, I am out of control and at times hard to handle. But if you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best."
    — Marilyn Monroe

Quote Originally Posted by pnbronco View Post
    dang it go drink some Fireball and find your own dang chicken....

Quote Originally Posted by frauschieze View Post
    Damn Tned. You really go all out.

Personality flaw, if it's worth doing, it's worth over doing...

Yeah,

When do you challenge the Klingons for interstellar domination?

(...yes, that's a line from a movie...)

Quote Originally Posted by Broncolingus View Post
    Yeah,

When do you challenge the Klingons for interstellar domination?

(...yes, that's a line from a movie...)
    Too busy fighting the wraith..

Adopted Bronco:
    Mike Leach

Quote Originally Posted by tnedator View Post
    Personality flaw, if it's worth doing, it's worth over doing...
    Well, it is greatly appreciated. No brown nosing here.
    Quote Originally Posted by Benetto View Post
    Orton can't single left handedly ruin everything on O.
    We didn't lose the game; we just ran out of time. - Vince Lombardi

"I make mistakes, I am out of control and at times hard to handle. But if you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best."
    — Marilyn Monroe

Quote Originally Posted by pnbronco View Post
    dang it go drink some Fireball and find your own dang chicken....

Adopted Bronco:
    All of 'em

Geez tned. Thanks for all the cool toys you give us to play with.
    Merry.

Quote Originally Posted by Day1BroncoFan View Post
    Geez tned. Thanks for all the cool toys you give us to play with.
    That's my job

Adopted Bronco:
    Matt Prater | Place Kicker

You are the man Tned!! My husband is very jealous that I know you!!

I recompiled apache (the webserver) this morning to try and update one component that is a potential security flaw (a new version is out). It didn't go well and created some downtime, but when I compiled it a second time, all seems fine.

I may have to do this again (maybe tomorrow morning), because it didn't seem to update the one insecure component.

Anyway, if you aren't following the mumbo-gumbo, the brief outage this morning was my fault, and it might happen again tomorrow morning, or some other time I find when there are a small number of people on the server.

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

I recompiled apache (the webserver) this morning to try and update one component that is a potential security flaw (a new version is out). It didn't go well and created some downtime, but when I compiled it a second time, all seems fine.

I may have to do this again (maybe tomorrow morning), because it didn't seem to update the one insecure component.

Anyway, if you aren't following the mumbo-gumbo, the brief outage this morning was my fault, and it might happen again tomorrow morning, or some other time I find when there are a small number of people on the server.
    Phew...thanks tned...I was a little worried there for a minute. I was drinking my morning coffee and browsing through the forum, and had just made a comment about how my internet goes down all the time...and...poof...no Forums...glad to know it was just you doing an update...
    *The statements above are my opinions, unless they are links, because then they are links, which wouldn't make them my opinions, and I suppose stats aren't necessarily opinion, but they are certainly presented to support an opinion. Proceed accordingly.

Quote Originally Posted by Buff View Post
    What is this, amateur hour? It's TNF against the Jets and you didn't think you'd need extra booze?

Adopted Bronco:
    All of 'em

Don't you hate it when that happens! Are you doing it from a remote location? I mean somewhere other than where the server is located.
    Merry.

Don't you hate it when that happens! Are you doing it from a remote location? I mean somewhere other than where the server is located.
    yes, it's remote. The server is located at a NOC in Dallas, and I am in Arkansas.
    Posting from a mobile phone. Short replies and typos are likely.

Adopted Bronco:
    All of 'em

Quote Originally Posted by Tned-Mobile View Post
    yes, it's remote. The server is located at a NOC in Dallas, and I am in Arkansas.
    That makes it scary sometimes if you do the wrong thing. Is someone there to reboot or what ever in case you need it? It's always good to have a person at the physical location just in case.
    Merry.

That makes it scary sometimes if you do the wrong thing. Is someone there to reboot or what ever in case you need it? It's always good to have a person at the physical location just in case.
    Yes, I have remote access, and am paying for a semi-managed service, so if I mess something up, there are support people that know more than me and can address it. If it needs any 'physical' attention, there are people on site. It is located in the major Telco/Network center in Dallas, called the Informart.

The Infomart is one of the largest buildings in Dallas, Texas (USA), located at 1950 Stemmons Freeway in the Market Center neighborhood between Oak Lawn and Interstate 35E (Texas) near downtown. The 7-floor, 1.5 million square foot building is one of the most distinctive in the city. It was modeled after The Crystal Palace, a huge iron and glass building, originally erected in Hyde Park in 19th century Britain to house the Great Exhibition of 1851.
    I rely heavily on the support services before doing things, as I am not a linux administrator by trade or hobby.

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information