Thread: Championship Sunday is the Best NFL Weekend Bar None

Default Championship Sunday is the Best NFL Weekend Bar None

Championship Sunday is to me the best day a football fan can imagine.

I know the Super Bowl is 2 weeks away after this date but to me you get the 4 best teams battling it out to find out who will make it to the Super Bowl. Is the matchup going to be as most think of New England vs Green Bay or can some upsets happen and we end up with San Diego vs the NY Giants.

I fully expect the AFC Championship game to be better than a lot of experts think. Some have said that SD should not even show up as the Pats will win no matter what. I think this is absurd. These so called “experts” do not factor the human element into this. The Chargers have nothing to lose and have a very good running game that should give an average NE defense a lot of trouble. Also the weather forecast is for cold and wind and this favors the team with the better running game and SD with LT has a better running game than NE. The Pats do have a phenomenal offense led by Tom Brady, Randy Moss, Wes Welker and a very very good offensive line that has kept Brady clean all year long.
    As much as I would love to see the Chargers upset the “team of the Century” as a lot of people have said, I think in the long run the Pats will win a very tight game, with something like a 24-17 score. Philip Rivers being dinged up (remember Billy Volek finished their upset of Indy) is not a good thing. I hope he plays and does very well.
    L Tomlinson must have a good game to give SD a chance to win. The Pats did stuggle vs the Ravens this year vs the run but as of late, seem to have done a much better job of stopping the run. The Pats do have so many weapons and if SD is to stop them, they must mix up their defensive packages. Blitz some and then cover on others. The Jaguars IMO did a lousy job in defending NE last week and seem to play very vanilla and never had a chance to stop NE evidenced by Tom Brady going 26 for 28 (with one drop) in the game vs Jax.

As for the NFC Championship game it features a Green Bay team that is very good at home and in cold weather. Their future HOF QB Brett Favre is something like 43-5 when the temperature is below 30 degrees at kickoff. The Giants have been playing awfully well since they gave NE a scare in week 17 in New York. Eli Manning has grown up and now seems to have a lot more confidence than he had earlier this season, evidenced by their impressive road victories over Tampa and the Cowboys. Green Bay was impressive in their home win over the Seahawks when they fell behind 14-0, they managed to outscore the Hawks 42-6 the rest of the way in a driving snowstorm. This is what is great about the NFL, the elements. Games should be played in cold weather, not in domes or on Astroturf. This game also features two good running backs in Brandon Jacobs for the NYG and Ryan Grant for the Packers. Ironically Grant was traded in the preseason to GB for a late round pick. He showed a lot of guile last week when fumbling on his first 2 touches and then shaking it off to run for 201 yards and 2 tds. Jacobs has been consistent all season long and does help Eli Manning immensely when churning out a lot of yards on the ground. Manning seems to have found his stride since the NE game throwing for 8 tds and only 1 pick in that time frame. If the NYG are to have a chance to win this game, Manning must be at his best and not revert back to his inconsistent ways that have led to 19 pics this year. I think GB wins this game 21-10 and advanced to their first Super Bowl since 1997.

Here is hoping everyone is treated to some great football and the games are watchable. For the NFL fans that do have any favorite team left, may they be entertained with some good clean hard football and some really close games and most of all no referee calls with determine the outcome of either game. My preference would be to see SD vs the Packers but as long as the games are good, I will be happy watching any of the teams.

2. The Following 3 Users High Fived Medford Bronco For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

Good read...I think it's a very good preview of the games.

Of course I'm looking forward to them, but I think the best weekend of football is Divisional Championship weekend, because you don't have to wait til 2 p.m. on Sunday to see a game.

I have no clue what I'm going to do tomorrow. And, it's going to be like 10 degrees out tomorrow...
    *The statements above are my opinions, unless they are links, because then they are links, which wouldn't make them my opinions, and I suppose stats aren't necessarily opinion, but they are certainly presented to support an opinion. Proceed accordingly.

Quote Originally Posted by Buff View Post
    What is this, amateur hour? It's TNF against the Jets and you didn't think you'd need extra booze?

4. The Following User High Fived MOtorboat For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by MissouriBronc View Post
    Good read...I think it's a very good preview of the games.

Of course I'm looking forward to them, but I think the best weekend of football is Divisional Championship weekend, because you don't have to wait til 2 p.m. on Sunday to see a game.

I have no clue what I'm going to do tomorrow. And, it's going to be like 10 degrees out tomorrow...
    Thanks MB for the compliment.

I understand divisonal games but to me you have the best of the best in each league for a chance to go to the Super Bowl, what more can you want, of couse it would be nice for Denver to be there, unlike recent years for us

God I miss 97-98 seasons, it was fun then. That is what NE has now.

Adopted Bronco:
    Paul George

I think that Championship Sunday is the best DAY. But the divisional weekend is by far the best weekend. Generally all four games are good match-ups, and you've got two full days of hype and contests to drown yourself in.

7. The Following 3 Users High Fived NightTrainLayne For This Post:

Great article Med.

These are going to be some exciting games in my opinion.

9. The Following User High Fived Retired_Member_001 For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

Quote Originally Posted by NightTrainLayne View Post
    I think that Championship Sunday is the best DAY. But the divisional weekend is by far the best weekend. Generally all four games are good match-ups, and you've got two full days of hype and contests to drown yourself in.
    I guess that's kind of what I was trying to say...
    *The statements above are my opinions, unless they are links, because then they are links, which wouldn't make them my opinions, and I suppose stats aren't necessarily opinion, but they are certainly presented to support an opinion. Proceed accordingly.

What is this, amateur hour? It's TNF against the Jets and you didn't think you'd need extra booze?

11. The Following 2 Users High Fived MOtorboat For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Paul George

I guess that's kind of what I was trying to say...
    Yes, but you did a rather poor job of it, so I re-phrased it for you.

13. The Following User High Fived NightTrainLayne For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

Quote Originally Posted by NightTrainLayne View Post
    Yes, but you did a rather poor job of it, so I re-phrased it for you.
    Thank you. I bow to you.

I was correct on the Pats but way way off on GB

boy did they blow a million chances to win that game. Tynes wanted to give it to them.

good win for the NYG. They willl need the stars to allign to win the Bowl.
    I just do not see it happening

I too generally 'like' Championship Sunday better than the Superbowl...

...that is unless it involves the Bronco's playing, in which case they're all great.

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

Super Bowl Sunday is rough because there's nothing on until 5:30 (central time) and pre-game starts at freakin' 11 a.m....

Super Bowl Sunday is rough because there's nothing on until 5:30 (central time) and pre-game starts at freakin' 11 a.m....
    ...kinda like Sunday Countdown does now on ESPN.

Adopted Bronco:
    Paul George

Don't the Lakers and the Celtics always play or something. . .How can you say there's nothing on when the NBA is on. ..

:sarcasm:

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information