Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Dragon Age: Origins

I beat the game with a human rogue a few days ago, and I've since started a new playthrough with a mage. There's no doubt in my mind that this is the Game of the Year.

Adopted Bronco:
    Brandon McMustache

Quote Originally Posted by SM19 View Post
    I beat the game with a human rogue a few days ago, and I've since started a new playthrough with a mage. There's no doubt in my mind that this is the Game of the Year.
    Yeah its right up there. I'm going through before I beat it to collect the ultimate weapons. So far I have the 2 handed sword named Ageless and 1 handed sword called Star Fang and the legion armor set.

Adopted Bronco:
    The cheerleaders

So I started playing and I think the party combat is very very awkward. Add to the crappy inventory system really drags the game down
    "We saw it…. the hussars let loose their horses. God, what power! They ran through the smoke and the sound was like that of a thousand blacksmiths beating with a thousand hammers

They rush on to the Swedes! They crash into the Swedish riters…. Overwhelm them! They crash into the second regiment - Overwhelmed! Resistance collapses, dissolves, they move forward as easily as if they were parading on a grand boulevard

Adopted Bronco:
    Rick Upchurch

How's your burger, bro? - Ancient proverb

Quote Originally Posted by MasterShake View Post
    Yeah its right up there. I'm going through before I beat it to collect the ultimate weapons. So far I have the 2 handed sword named Ageless and 1 handed sword called Star Fang and the legion armor set.
    I never got the Star Fang encounter in my first playthrough. How does it get triggered?

Adopted Bronco:
    Brandon McMustache

Quote Originally Posted by SM19 View Post
    I never got the Star Fang encounter in my first playthrough. How does it get triggered?
    Its with the Wardens Keep download. You will have an encounter triggered during a travel that pays homage to Superman where a couple finds a child in a meteor crater. You inspect the crater and find the meteor shard. After clearing out the wardens keep, leave and come back and there will be a blacksmith there that will make the meteor ore into a 1 or 2 handed sword. Best sword in the game, easily. Even has 3 enchantment slots.

Ah, that would explain why I didn't get it. I've been meaning to download Warden's Keep but haven't gotten around to it.

Adopted Bronco:
    Drew Lock

So I started playing and I think the party combat is very very awkward. Add to the crappy inventory system really drags the game down
    If this is the first recent Bioware RPG you've played it does get some getting used to. Adjust the presets of your characters so they fight and heal more efficiently, and be sure your actions/abilities are all mapped to the right buttons and trigger alternates. It plays almost identical to the other Bioware RPGs I've played over the past few years, KOTOR, Jade Empire and most of all Mass Effect. It may not be for everyone, but it's very playable.
    "I may not be a mathematician, but I can count to a million." - Shannon Sharpe

Adopted Bronco:
    The cheerleaders

Quote Originally Posted by Shazam! View Post
    If this is the first recent Bioware RPG you've played it does get some getting used to. Adjust the presets of your characters so they fight and heal more efficiently, and be sure your actions/abilities are all mapped to the right buttons and trigger alternates. It plays almost identical to the other Bioware RPGs I've played over the past few years, KOTOR, Jade Empire and most of all Mass Effect. It may not be for everyone, but it's very playable.
    It not the first Bioware game I played. But I'm basing my experience on Balder's Gate and NWNs game. Since I have never played ME that might be the problem. I like the game, but there are some small things that could have been done better.
    "We saw it…. the hussars let loose their horses. God, what power! They ran through the smoke and the sound was like that of a thousand blacksmiths beating with a thousand hammers

They rush on to the Swedes! They crash into the Swedish riters…. Overwhelm them! They crash into the second regiment - Overwhelmed! Resistance collapses, dissolves, they move forward as easily as if they were parading on a grand boulevard

Adopted Bronco:
    Brandon McMustache

Quote Originally Posted by elsid13 View Post
    It not the first Bioware game I played. But I'm basing my experience on Balder's Gate and NWNs game. Since I have never played ME that might be the problem. I like the game, but there are some small things that could have been done better.
    I had a problem with the party a bit at first, but after you get more skill slots for tactics the game gets really easy. My party is so fine tuned that I almost rarely have to bring up the radial to change commands. It really is a cross between Neverwinter Nights/Baldurs Gate and the gambit system in Final Fantasy XII.

That being said, I really do miss the days of turn based RPG's, but as an action based RPG I found this pretty intuitive after the learning curve. As Shazam said, it helps if you had played Mass Effect.

Adopted Bronco:
    The cheerleaders

Quote Originally Posted by MasterShake View Post
    I had a problem with the party a bit at first, but after you get more skill slots for tactics the game gets really easy. My party is so fine tuned that I almost rarely have to bring up the radial to change commands. It really is a cross between Neverwinter Nights/Baldurs Gate and the gambit system in Final Fantasy XII.

That being said, I really do miss the days of turn based RPG's, but as an action based RPG I found this pretty intuitive after the learning curve. As Shazam said, it helps if you had played Mass Effect.

Looks like I need to spend some time with the tactic screens. Right now I am just turning all NPC tactics off and controlling all their actions. BTW is there anywhere to a warhammer in the game? I just like rolling with hammer to bang heads together.

Adopted Bronco:
    Brandon McMustache

Quote Originally Posted by elsid13 View Post
    Looks like I need to spend some time with the tactic screens. Right now I am just turning all NPC tactics off and controlling all their actions. BTW is there anywhere to a warhammer in the game? I just like rolling with hammer to bang heads together.
    When you get to the Dwarven area there are some great hammers there.

Adopted Bronco:
    Drew Lock

Right now I am just turning all NPC tactics off and controlling all their actions.
    That's your problem right there and will make the game nearly unimaginably difficult and overmanaging everything. You'd be better off restoring the default settings.

It really is a cross between Neverwinter Nights/Baldurs Gate and the gambit system in Final Fantasy XII.
    The gambit system in FFXII is a ripoff of KOTOR's system by Square, and the highest honor from Square that Bioware ever could have received, having their engine copied like that.

I have the rest of my party at near default settings, with them tweaked for a few new spells and abilities as the slots opened.

Adopted Bronco:
    Knowshon Moreno

Damn, this game sounds great! I need to get to gaming more and finish up the games I already have so I can get around to all these new games coming out in the coming months.

15. The Following User High Fived honz For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Drew Lock

It is great. Especially if you're familiar KOTOR, Mass Effect or Jade Empire you'll be right at home. I have two complaints but they're very minor gripes. I'm like 35 hours in now. Huge and epic. Looks and runs great too. Love it.

17. The Following User High Fived Shazam! For This Post:

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information