Thread: Guitar info

Adopted Bronco:
    Malik Jackson

Default Guitar info

Hey all, my 5 year old daughter wanted a guitar for Xmas, so we got her one. HOWEVER, I don't know the first thing about chords, hand positions, etc. All the sites I find have a fee for lessons etc. I have no problem paying, but I wanna know how serious my daughter is gonna take it before I shell out the duckets. Anyone who has any input, feedback, links, tips, it'd be greatly appreciated. Thanx

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

Quote Originally Posted by SmilinAssasSin27 View Post
    Hey all, my 5 year old daughter wanted a guitar for Xmas, so we got her one. HOWEVER, I don't know the first thing about chords, hand positions, etc. All the sites I find have a fee for lessons etc. I have no problem paying, but I wanna know how serious my daughter is gonna take it before I shell out the duckets. Anyone who has any input, feedback, links, tips, it'd be greatly appreciated. Thanx
    Smilin...been playing for about 11 years, since I was in high school. I'm mostly self-taught, no formal lessons.

I would suggest a couple of things. Get her these series of books:
    http://www.amazon.com/Hal-Leonard-Gu...9639764&sr=8-1

They are just very good basic (mostly single-note type stuff) lessons. After she has worked with that a little, and if she likes it, of course, get her some formal lessons at your local music store. I always regret not taking formal lessons (I do things how they seem convenient to my fingers, and not in the correct technique or style, thus I have problems learning to "bend" and "hammer-on" -- you'll learn what those mean).

Finally, whatever music it is she wants to learn, just have her listen to it, a lot. A big thing in learning to play is just listening.
    *The statements above are my opinions, unless they are links, because then they are links, which wouldn't make them my opinions, and I suppose stats aren't necessarily opinion, but they are certainly presented to support an opinion. Proceed accordingly.

Quote Originally Posted by Buff View Post
    What is this, amateur hour? It's TNF against the Jets and you didn't think you'd need extra booze?

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

Smilin'...one more thing I remembered when I was in the shower and thinking about learning the guitar...

She needs to learn to read music and learn her scales. It sucks, because it's repetitive and boring, but I never really did it and stayed dedicated to it, and my playing pays for it now...
    *The statements above are my opinions, unless they are links, because then they are links, which wouldn't make them my opinions, and I suppose stats aren't necessarily opinion, but they are certainly presented to support an opinion. Proceed accordingly.

What is this, amateur hour? It's TNF against the Jets and you didn't think you'd need extra booze?

Adopted Bronco:
    only Von

The first thing i'd do is teach her some basic chords, G-E-A-D-C, etc.

I don't know how much a 5 year old can do without getting frustrated though :P.

http://guitar.about.com/library/weekly/aa071200a.htm

Adopted Bronco:
    Malik Jackson

Thanx fellas, much appreciated.

Adopted Bronco:
    Kay Adams

I think the guitar is the one with a long neck and (usually) 6 strings. You play it by strumming the strings. Hope this helps.

Adopted Bronco:

9 times out of 10 a kid will quit playing once they realize it requires work.
    ________
    JAGUAR MARK V PICTURE
    Last edited by CoachChaz; 02-19-2011 at 10:22 PM.

Adopted Bronco:
    Kay Adams

Yeah, 5 seems a bit young for a kid to actually dedicate themselves to something like learning a musical instrument. Of course, all kids are different...but in general I wouldn't think it would stick.

Adopted Bronco:
    only Von

But kids that do start early are awesome...especially the good ones that actually have natural talent.

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

Quote Originally Posted by aberdien View Post
    But kids that do start early are awesome...especially the good ones that actually have natural talent.
    Yes...yes they are...

Adopted Bronco:
    Malik Jackson

Quote Originally Posted by CoachChaz View Post
    9 times out of 10 a kid will quit playing once they realize it requires work.
    Yeah...my daughter keeps telling my wife she knows how to do it.

Adopted Bronco:
    only Von

Quote Originally Posted by MissouriBronc View Post
    Yes...yes they are...
    Especially if it's classical guitar, which is my favorite style of playing.

Adopted Bronco:
    Malik Jackson

Yeah...they say Beethoven was a natural.

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information