Page 1 of 15 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Town Hall Discussion: Specific Language - Acceptable or not?

Default Town Hall Discussion: Specific Language - Acceptable or not?

Ok, right now, due to the fast influx of new members who didn't know the rules and what was/wasn't acceptable here, the mods temporarily relaxed the language standards to ease the transition (such as allowing acronyms like WTF or letting slide words that were altered to get around the profanity filter).

This cannot continue if the rules stay as they are, so we need to visit some specifics related to what is/isn't profanity and what should/shouldn't be allowed in posts to give the board input so they can determine if the rules regarding profanity need to be modified or left as is.

Something to keep in mind when answering these questions.

Personal attacks are not allowed, regardless of language being used. So, whether a personal attack/slam is done using a curse or not, it is likely against the rules.

Sexually explicit language (describing sexual acts) is not acceptable as the rules stand, and that topic is not part of this discussion.

So, when we talk about curses/language here, it would be in the context of being used as an exlamation, adjective, etc., not a means to personally attack someone (forbidden with or without curses) or describe sexual acts.

So, please give input on the following words/points (the input on these, will help the board get a feel for what generally is or isn't considered acceptable by our members, and they therefore will apply that to other 'similar' words). Please give input on each of these questions:

====================
    Questions to answer
    ====================

Specific Words:

Should the word Ass be censored?

Should the word B!tch be censored?

Should the word whore be censored?

Should the word sh!t be censored?

Should f-bombs be censored?

Should the word b@stard be censored?

Circumventing the word censor:

Should people be able to get around the word censor by adding letters like $ or ! (a$$ or sh!t)?

If a person posts a word that is **** out by the word censor, is that ok, or should the post be edited/deleted and the poster warned (examples "**** this" or "the team played like ****")?

Acronyms:

Which of the following accronyms are ok or not ok (general translation of the acronym given, some variations exist)?

WTH (what the hell/heck)?

WTF (what the fu**)?

FUBAR (fouled/fu**ed up beyond all recognition)?

**** (shut the fu** up)?

LMAO (Laughing my ass off)?

LMFAO (Laughing my fu**ing ass off)?

SNAFU (situation normal, all fouled/fu**ed up)?

SOB (son of a b!tch/bum)?

Other Acronyms you want to comment on?

Any other topics related to language use/profanity that you want to comment on:
    Last edited by Tned; 01-05-2008 at 05:49 PM.

Adopted Bronco:
    The Infallible Matt McChesney

I don't know what half of those acronyms mean...
    Quote Originally Posted by OaklandRaider View Post
    But what can you say to an intelligent Raider fan?

Quote Originally Posted by Broncospsycho77 View Post
    I don't know what half of those acronyms mean...
    Ok, based on this, I will give the common 'long' version, although some variations exist.

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

I think all WTF, LMAO, ****, etc should all be allowed. I mean, come one you can't wipe all the words out that we have fun with. There is absolutely nothing wrong with those abbreviations. My 13 year old uses those on her chat thingys. You can't eliminate so much and make it elementary.
    BOOM GOES THE DYNAMITE

Adopted Bronco:
    Josh McDaniels Sucks

I think sh!t type words even fuggat are bad. **** should be good, and all variations of LMAO, LMFAO, LMMFAO etc should be allowed.

Ass is not bad but b!tch is. even damn is bad. I used whore earlier, and it was in the context of a movie name. Felt bad typing it, but it was the name!

As for personal attacks, I hope that the Mods use restraint on this because I call people SOB on here all the time, but it is all in love.

Adopted Bronco:
    The Infallible Matt McChesney

Quote Originally Posted by claymore View Post
    I think sh!t type words even fuggat are bad. **** should be good, and all variations of LMAO, LMFAO, LMMFAO etc should be allowed.

Ass is not bad but b!tch is. even damn is bad. I used whore earlier, and it was in the context of a movie name. Felt bad typing it, but it was the name!

As for personal attacks, I hope that the Mods use restraint on this because I call people SOB on here all the time, but it is all in love.
    Yeah, clay uses "SOB" all of the time, but usually the word "lucky" is before it, so it's harmless... and then there's a drinking symbol following that, so sobriety surely played a part...

I agree about the $$ and the ! to replace letters. That's over the line. I don't have any problem with asterisks, though. It still leaves some of it up to the imagination.
    Quote Originally Posted by OaklandRaider View Post
    But what can you say to an intelligent Raider fan?

Quote Originally Posted by claymore View Post

Thanks for adding SOB, I'll add it to the above list

Should the word Ass be censored?
    No
    Should the word B!tch be censored?
    yes
    Should the word whore be censored?
    yes
    Should the word sh!t be censored?
    yes
    Should f-bombs be censored?
    yes
    Should the word b@stard be censored?
    yes
    Circumventing the word censor:

Should people be able to get around the word censor by adding letters like $ or ! (a$$ or sh!t)?
    technically no, but it doesn't seem quite as offensive for some odd reason

If a person posts a word that is **** out by the word censor, is that ok, or should the post be edited/deleted and the poster warned (examples "**** this" or "the team played like ****")? This is fine.

Acronyms:

Which of the following accronyms are ok or not ok?

WTH? ok

WTF? ok

FUBAR? no

****? no

LMAO? yes

LMFAO? no

SNAFU? no

I'm really not a snob, as I actually saw one of the new posters even use "C u n t" in a post. If we allow this and others, then you have to ask yourself what element of poster do you want to attract? For I think this poster just was having fun, but to imagine seeing this language in numerous posts and frequently may be offensive to a lot of men as well? Maybe I'm just not accustomed to partaking in conversations with some of this language, so I'll adapt to whatever is decided.

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

Good grief. Eliminating abbreviations like WTF, ****, LMFAO is going overboard. Just my opinion.
    BOOM GOES THE DYNAMITE

Good grief. Then one has to ask themself 'why' they feel it's necessary to use all those terms on a routine basis on a public board. The privacy of friends or their own home, etc. is a different matter.

Plus, what the Freaks do not understand is how much room tned has given all of you as new members of this board, and it was not what we had for boundaries prior to your coming on board. However, some change is good, not denying that.

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

Quote Originally Posted by Jody View Post
    Good grief. Then one has to ask themself 'why' they feel it's necessary to use all those terms on a routine basis on a public board. The privacy of friends or their own home, etc. is a different matter.
    No one would have to ask themselves why am I so sensitive over people having a little fun.

Those abbreviations don't even spell a word. Eliminate cuss words, but at least leave a little something to have fun with in some areas like the lounge.
    BOOM GOES THE DYNAMITE

Quote Originally Posted by Bronco9798 View Post
    No one would have to ask themselves why am I so sensitive over people having a little fun.

Those abbreviations don't even spell a word. Eliminate cuss words, but at least leave a little something to have fun with in some areas like the lounge.
    I think 'anything' should go in the Smack Forum, but not all forums.

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

If you're going to start eliminating little things like initials, you might as well as just go to a total G forum. Then there could a family night and gather the kids around and read the posts together I guess.
    BOOM GOES THE DYNAMITE

Ok, two things. Let's first focus on the questions, not criticizing anyone else's position.

Second, anyone that joins this message board and actively participates, whether they came from broncomania, broncosfreak, the mane or mars becomes part of this community. Obviously, we had two mass sign ups (one group from mania, and one from broncosfreak), but now all of us along with those that have come from other places are part of the BroncosForums.com community.

And yes, at my suggestion, the mods did relax the standards temporarily with the recent influx in members, but it is important to understand that this was largely coincidental. Meaning, the advisory board and mods were already discussing whether or not we were moderating too strictly, whether the rules setup in a hurry needed to be reviewed, etc.

It was ONLY because we were in the middle of those discussions, and some among us believed that a Town Hall Discussion would likely result in loosening of the rules, that it was suggested that we relax the moderation on language until that process was completed. It was not done just to make new members happy, it was because we were already having complaints about acronyms like WTF being edited, people circumventing the language filter and other similar situations.

So, with that out of the way, we need to hear from all members of the BroncosForums community (whether you have been here for a week or four months), so that the advisory board can define the BroncosForums policy on language/profanity/acronyms.
    Last edited by Tned; 01-05-2008 at 05:34 PM.

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

No problem, I'm done. I voiced my opinion.
    BOOM GOES THE DYNAMITE

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information