Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Town Hall Discussion: Specific Language - Acceptable or not?

Adopted Bronco:
    Josh McDaniels Sucks

Quote Originally Posted by Jody View Post
    Good grief. Then one has to ask themself 'why' they feel it's necessary to use all those terms on a routine basis on a public board. The privacy of friends or their own home, etc. is a different matter.

Plus, what the Freaks do not understand is how much room tned has given all of you as new members of this board, and it was not what we had for boundaries prior to your coming on board. However, some change is good, not denying that.
    Im pretty sure the majority of us do, and are great full for everyones patience.

As for the previous boundaries, I think that change is good, nobody wants to go full tilt sailor talk, and I think the majority here to include you and I agree on most every thing.

Except SNAFU, and FUBAR!

Adopted Bronco:
    Stupid idea

====================
    Questions to answer
    ====================

Specific Words:

Should the word Ass be censored? no

Should the word B!tch be censored? probably, unless we start talking about dog breeding

Should the word whore be censored? yes

Should the word sh!t be censored? seriosuly? Of course!

Should f-bombs be censored? YES!

Should the word b@stard be censored? hmmm......I can't think of a football or sports context, so yes

Circumventing the word censor:

Should people be able to get around the word censor by adding letters like $ or ! (a$$ or sh!t)? NO!

If a person posts a word that is **** out by the word censor, is that ok, or should the post be edited/deleted and the poster warned (examples "**** this" or "the team played like ****")? Yes. The filter should do its job. And that should be that. Why have the filter if the stars are the same as the letters?

Acronyms:

Which of the following accronyms are ok or not ok (general translation of the acronym given, some variations exist)?

WTH (what the hell/heck)? OK

WTF (what the fu**)? Not OK

FUBAR (fu**ed up beyond all recognition)? Not OK

**** (shut the fu** up)? Not ok

LMAO (Laughing my ass off)? OK

LMFAO (Laughing my fu**ing ass off)? NOT ok

SNAFU (situation normal, all fu**ed up)? NOT ok

SOB (son of a b!tch)? Not ok

Other Acronyms you want to comment on? EXAMPLES: FU, Eff You, f'n, effin,

Any other topics related to language use/profanity that you want to comment on:[/QUOTE]

Nope
    What shall we do with all this useless beauty?

Adopted Bronco:
    Josh McDaniels Sucks

Quote Originally Posted by Bronco9798 View Post
    If you're going to start eliminating little things like initials, you might as well as just go to a total G forum. Then there could a family night and gather the kids around and read the posts together I guess.
    LMFAO. Man would my kids be upset about that!

Adopted Bronco:
    Mike Leach

Specific Words:

Should the word Ass be censored? No

Should the word B!tch be censored? No

Should the word whore be censored? No

Should the word sh!t be censored? No

Should f-bombs be censored? Meh, I don't care.

Should the word b@stard be censored? No

Should people be able to get around the word censor by adding letters like $ or ! (a$$ or sh!t)?

No. I also realize that not everyone will be caught and I don't think that it should be a priority for the Mods to try to enforce.

If a person posts a word that is **** out by the word censor, is that ok, or should the post be edited/deleted and the poster warned (examples "**** this" or "the team played like ****")?

I consider this the equivilent of the word being bleeped on the radio. That's okay, this should be too. I don't think someone should be warned or get into trouble because of typing a swear word that is caught by the filter. Another thing to consider is that this is a football forum. Come game time, I often (especially this season) catch myself posting more emotionally, like "I can't believe this ****!" or even "****!" after a particularly bad play. If I'm not intentionally trying to go around the filter, I think this should be okay.

Acronyms:

Which of the following accronyms are ok or not ok?

WTH? Ok

WTF? Ok

FUBAR? Ok (isn't this standard military anyway?)

****? This is iffy. It depends on the situation. Most of the time, I think this falls under the flaming catergory. It doesn't bug me in the slightest but out of everything, it has the most potential to be taken in the wrong way.

LMAO? Ok

LMFAO? Ok And LMMFAO should be okay too.

SNAFU? Snafu is now considered an English word and is in the dictionary. This is should be okay.

Other Acronyms you want to comment on? Acronyms don't bug me at all.

Any other topics related to language use/profanity that you want to comment on:

As I have commented elsewhere, if ever other word is a curse word, it just brings the board down. A few well placed explictives do not.
    Quote Originally Posted by Benetto View Post
    Orton can't single left handedly ruin everything on O.
    We didn't lose the game; we just ran out of time. - Vince Lombardi

"I make mistakes, I am out of control and at times hard to handle. But if you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best."
    — Marilyn Monroe

Quote Originally Posted by pnbronco View Post
    dang it go drink some Fireball and find your own dang chicken....

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

Specific Words:

Should the word Ass be censored? No.

Should the word B!tch be censored? Yes.

Should the word whore be censored? No. (For example, I really don't see the problem in someone calling anyone a money-grubbing whore...I do have a problem with someone calling someone else a whore, but then that's a personal attack and it falls under a completely different set of rules, right?)

Should the word sh!t be censored? Yes.

Should f-bombs be censored? Yes.

Should the word b@stard be censored? I don't think so.

Should people be able to get around the word censor by adding letters like $ or ! (a$$ or sh!t)? Warn or Edit, don't ban, unless it's a personal attack.

If a person posts a word that is **** out by the word censor, is that ok, or should the post be edited/deleted and the poster warned (examples "**** this" or "the team played like ****")? Unless its a personal attack, who cares?

Acronyms:

Which of the following accronyms are ok or not ok (general translation of the acronym given, some variations exist)?

WTH (what the hell/heck)? OK

WTF (what the fu**)? OK

FUBAR (fu**ed up beyond all recognition)? OK (Stanley tools even has a tool called the FUBAR!)

**** (shut the fu** up)? OK

LMAO (Laughing my ass off)? OK

LMFAO (Laughing my fu**ing ass off)? OK

SNAFU (situation normal, all fu**ed up)? OK

SOB (son of a b!tch)? OK

I consider myself an upstanding member of this community and I can think of a number of other people I would consider good, well meaning, decent people that post on this board, who do use curse words. I think A.) it makes the mods job even worse if you start banning for the use of words, and B.) it's a word, unless its a personal attack, what does it matter?
    *The statements above are my opinions, unless they are links, because then they are links, which wouldn't make them my opinions, and I suppose stats aren't necessarily opinion, but they are certainly presented to support an opinion. Proceed accordingly.

Quote Originally Posted by Buff View Post
    What is this, amateur hour? It's TNF against the Jets and you didn't think you'd need extra booze?

Adopted Bronco:
    Mike Leach

Adding to my list:

SOB? I will feel lost without Clay calling me an SOB, even though, clearly, it is physically impossible for me to be one without a sex change.

"I make mistakes, I am out of control and at times hard to handle. But if you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best."
    — Marilyn Monroe

Adopted Bronco:
    Mike Leach

If you ban LMFAO, SOB & bastages, Clay will have nothing left to say.

— Marilyn Monroe

Adopted Bronco:
    DOOM!

I see no harm in the acronyms at all, be it WTF or LMMFAO, certainly they implicate the cuss words but are effective in actually removing them while allowing the emphasis those words provide. By-passing the filter with sh!t, for example, is wrong and I am very guilty of this myself and should be more courteous to others. ****, *****, ****, ***-****, is obviously ok but what about f*** or s***? I'm guessing probably not.

THere is a fine line, and trying to find it is always difficult. Damn and hell, both biblical but one seems to be acceptable and the other not, I have never understood this. Ass? I have never understood how the word ass could be offensive to anyone any more than butt. Which then brings to question the word butt-hole. If that's ok then why isn't *******?

Fine line indeed. I would caution against too much censorship as, among other things, it will remove a lot character from the forums. "Colorful metaphors" have some important effects on the language that shouldn't be completely eliminated.

Nobody in the game of football should be called a genius. A genius is somebody like Norman Einstein ...Joe Theismann

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

Quote Originally Posted by frauschieze View Post
    If you ban LMFAO, SOB & bastages, Clay will have nothing left to say.

If WTF and LMAO are banned, I would have been banned probably five times in the last two days. I guess I just don't see the harm in it, at all.
    *The statements above are my opinions, unless they are links, because then they are links, which wouldn't make them my opinions, and I suppose stats aren't necessarily opinion, but they are certainly presented to support an opinion. Proceed accordingly.

Quote Originally Posted by Buff View Post
    What is this, amateur hour? It's TNF against the Jets and you didn't think you'd need extra booze?

Quote Originally Posted by MileHighWrath View Post
    I see no harm in the acronyms at all, be it WTF or LMMFAO, certainly they implicate the cuss words but are effective in actually removing them while allowing the emphasis those words provide. By-passing the filter with sh!t, for example, is wrong and I am very guilty of this myself and should be more courteous to others. ****, *****, ****, ***-****, is obviously ok but what about f*** or s***? I'm guessing probably not.

THere is a fine line, and trying to find it is always difficult. Damn and hell, both biblical but one seems to be acceptable and the other not, I have never understood this. Ass? I have never understood how the word ass could be offensive to anyone any more than butt. Which then brings to question the word butt-hole. If that's ok then why isn't *******?

Fine line indeed. I would caution against too much censorship as, among other things, it will remove a lot character from the forums. "Colorful metaphors" have some important effects on the language that shouldn't be completely eliminated.

You made some great points in this post and it's worth keeping in mind.

Adopted Bronco:
    Mike Leach

Quote Originally Posted by MissouriBronc View Post
    If WTF and LMAO are banned, I would have been banned probably five times in the last two days. I guess I just don't see the harm in it, at all.
    Same here. I seriously didn't even realize it was against the rules as they stand. I should have gone back and fixed my ****** post (plural censored word that wasn't caught) but I forgot. I honestly thought the filter would catch it.

— Marilyn Monroe

Adopted Bronco:
    DOOM!

BTW ... MEGA High Fives to tned and the mods for this and the other open and candid discussions about the direction of this forum! I certainly feel comfortable and confident in the approach you are all taking with the inclusion of your membership.

Nobody in the game of football should be called a genius. A genius is somebody like Norman Einstein ...Joe Theismann

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

Don't take the character and the fun that this site is about. Please think about what you are doing if you take away such expressions as WTF and LMFAO.

If someone else makes a funny post and you want to respond with a LMFAO!!! It doesn't degrade, it doesn't make fun of, it doesn't flame, it doesn't hurt anyone or offend. It is simply an expression and telling someone you thought there post was funny.
    BOOM GOES THE DYNAMITE

Quote Originally Posted by frauschieze View Post
    Same here. I seriously didn't even realize it was against the rules as they stand. I should have gone back and fixed my ****** post (plural censored word that wasn't caught) but I forgot. I honestly thought the filter would catch it.
    Quote Originally Posted by MissouriBronc View Post
    Ok, let me clarify something. I probably confused it in my above post, and other's are mistating it.

Those words are not AGAINST the rules, up to this point the way the moderators have been interpreting the rules, as they exist, would be that most of the words/acronyms listed above are not allowed.

The rules in question are:

Rules:
    4. No use of obscene language, photos, links to obscene language or photos, or anything that would be considered offensive. -- {final decisions on what is or is not obscene will be made by the Board of Advisors.}

Guidelines:
    2. There are many members that are minors and many people that post with their children looking over their shoulder. If it shouldn’t be viewed by minors, then it shouldn’t be posted. We will use the ‘reasonable parent’ approach. If a ‘reasonable parent’ would consider it objectionable, it shouldn’t be posted.
    As you can see, these rules are VERY vague, so what we are looking for is feedback to determine whether or not the way we have been moderating up to this point is in line with what 'our community' wants in terms of what is obscene language. Based on these discussions, we will either modify the rules and better define them, or post guidelines as to how they should be interpreted.

So, it isn't that anyone has been breaking the rules, per se, but instead are posting in a way that is contrary to how the vague rules above have been interpreted and enforced to date.

Also, it is important to note that these rules were put together VERY fast, and pieced together from a couple other boards, because we had some people dropping f-boms left and right and needed something up quick. We then posted the rules and asked for feedback, and received virtually none. However, over the last four months, it has become apparant that at the very least, we needed discussions on some specific aspects of the rules, such as language/profanity/oscenity and images.
    Last edited by Tned; 01-05-2008 at 06:12 PM.

Adopted Bronco:
    Mike Leach

Quote Originally Posted by MileHighWrath View Post
    BTW ... MEGA High Fives to tned and the mods for this and the other open and candid discussions about the direction of this forum! I certainly feel comfortable and confident in the approach you are all taking with the inclusion of your membership.
    Agreed a million fold. A GIGANTIC breath of fresh air coming from what we did. Thanks to the mods, the advisory board and especially to Tned!

— Marilyn Monroe

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information