Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Thread: Town Hall Discussion: Specific Language - Acceptable or not?

Adopted Bronco:
    broncos_mtnman

Quote Originally Posted by LordTrychon View Post
    What about STHU?

Edit: Has that EVER been used before?
    Probably not because you could probably just say that to someone and not need the acronym.

Quote Originally Posted by TXBRONC View Post
    The issue is it's still a demeaning thing to say to people in my opinion.
    A nasty sentence with no swearing in it can be demeaning to people as well my friend. Is it best that we ban demeaning sentences all together?

Adopted Bronco:
    Doom!

Quote Originally Posted by King87 View Post
    A nasty sentence with no swearing in it can be demeaning to people as well my friend. Is it best that we ban demeaning sentences all together?
    Actually, I'm fairly sure that demeaning other members is already banned.

Adopted Bronco:
    Baron Browning, Jaleel McLaughlin

====================
    Questions to answer
    ====================

Specific Words:

Should the word Ass be censored? no

Should the word B!tch be censored? yes

Should the word whore be censored? no. . . i can't understand why this one is even in the discussion-- when did whore become a swear word? i bet there's not another site on the interweb, excepting possibly a bible study site, where that word is censored. . . if it's directed at a member it's going to get edited by the mods anyways. . . this seems highly puritanical to me. . .

Should the word sh!t be censored? yes

Should f-bombs be censored? yes

Should the word b@stard be censored? no

Circumventing the word censor:

Should people be able to get around the word censor by adding letters like $ or ! (a$$ or sh!t)? no-- if that's premissible, then there's no point havig a filter in the first place. . . .

If a person posts a word that is **** out by the word censor, is that ok, or should the post be edited/deleted and the poster warned (examples "**** this" or "the team played like ****")?

in a direct personal attack i think the mods should edit/delete if they find it, otherwise it's fine-- that's why you have a filter, let it do it's work instead of having the mods spend unnecessary time dealing with it. . . .

Acronyms:

Which of the following accronyms are ok or not ok (general translation of the acronym given, some variations exist)?

WTH (what the hell/heck)? fine

WTF (what the fu**)? don't care either way

FUBAR (fouled/fu**ed up beyond all recognition)? don't care either way

**** (shut the fu** up)? no-- no need for this one IMO, it will be mis-used

LMAO (Laughing my ass off)? fine

LMFAO (Laughing my fu**ing ass off)? don't care either way

SNAFU (situation normal, all fouled/fu**ed up)? don't care either way

SOB (son of a b!tch/bum)? don't care either way

Other Acronyms you want to comment on?

Any other topics related to language use/profanity that you want to comment on: yea, **** all this ****!!

Quote Originally Posted by Den21vsBal19 View Post
    I don't know, SNAFU seems to be a pretty appropriate acronym for our defense

i don't know, i think FUBAR fits better. . . .
    “When we do find that guy, we’ve got to have the continuity on the offensive side to where we can train him and develop him and get him there. This is our fourth offense in probably three or four years. Quarterbacks need to be developed. You don’t find one ready-made. We got to have a solid system in place for when we do go after whatever guy it may be, a young guy or a trade or whatnot.”
    - John Elway

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

Quote Originally Posted by dogfish View Post
    no. . . i can't understand why this one is even in the discussion-- when did whore become a swear word? i bet there's not another site on the interweb, excepting possibly a bible study site, where that word is censored. . . if it's directed at a member it's going to get edited by the mods anyways. . . this seems highly puritanical to me. . .
    Can't agree more.

The only time whore becomes a bad word is when it is directed directly at someone. If I call Javon Walker a money-grubbing whore, there is 100 percent NOTHING wrong with what I just said. If I called a female member a whore that is different. It is a personal attack, and while the word itself is not offensive or censored, it is a personal attack, which in and of itself, falls under a different disciplinary category.
    *The statements above are my opinions, unless they are links, because then they are links, which wouldn't make them my opinions, and I suppose stats aren't necessarily opinion, but they are certainly presented to support an opinion. Proceed accordingly.

Quote Originally Posted by Buff View Post
    What is this, amateur hour? It's TNF against the Jets and you didn't think you'd need extra booze?

Adopted Bronco:
    Brandon Stokley

Quote Originally Posted by tnedator View Post
    Ok, right now, due to the fast influx of new members who didn't know the rules and what was/wasn't acceptable here, the mods temporarily relaxed the language standards to ease the transition (such as allowing acronyms like WTF or letting slide words that were altered to get around the profanity filter).

This cannot continue if the rules stay as they are, so we need to visit some specifics related to what is/isn't profanity and what should/shouldn't be allowed in posts to give the board input so they can determine if the rules regarding profanity need to be modified or left as is.

Something to keep in mind when answering these questions.

Personal attacks are not allowed, regardless of language being used. So, whether a personal attack/slam is done using a curse or not, it is likely against the rules.

Sexually explicit language (describing sexual acts) is not acceptable as the rules stand, and that topic is not part of this discussion.

So, when we talk about curses/language here, it would be in the context of being used as an exlamation, adjective, etc., not a means to personally attack someone (forbidden with or without curses) or describe sexual acts.

So, please give input on the following words/points (the input on these, will help the board get a feel for what generally is or isn't considered acceptable by our members, and they therefore will apply that to other 'similar' words). Please give input on each of these questions:

====================
    Questions to answer
    ====================

Specific Words:

Should the word Ass be censored?
    no

Should the word B!tch be censored?
    Yes! In any readable form

Should the word whore be censored?
    Yes! Anything that you wouldn't call your mom should be censored!

Should the word sh!t be censored?
    Yes.

Should f-bombs be censored?
    Are you kidding? lol YES!

Should the word b@stard be censored?
    yes

Circumventing the word censor:

Should people be able to get around the word censor by adding letters like $ or ! (a$$ or sh!t)?
    No. If the word is not allowed, it shouldn't be allowed in any readable form

If a person posts a word that is **** out by the word censor, is that ok, or should the post be edited/deleted and the poster warned (examples "**** this" or "the team played like ****")?

I see no problem with this. As long as the word isn't readable. **** is fine by me

Acronyms:

Which of the following accronyms are ok or not ok (general translation of the acronym given, some variations exist)?

WTH (what the hell/heck)? Hell is excepted so why wouldn't WTH be? ok!

WTF (what the fu**)? Not ok. It reads the same as seeing the F word.

FUBAR (fouled/fu**ed up beyond all recognition)? If it really means "Fouled" I'd say yes. But I have only herd it as Fu****. I read it as FUBAR. It's not the same as WTF. When I see that I say the words. But with FUBAR I understand it as, Something is messed up! It's like it's a word with its own meaning. I can take it or leave it.

**** (shut the fu** up)? NOT OK!

LMAO (Laughing my ass off)? ok

LMFAO (Laughing my fu**ing ass off)? NOT OK!

SNAFU (situation normal, all fouled/fu**ed up)? Same as FUBAR. I can take it or leave it

SOB (son of a b!tch/bum)? not ok

Other Acronyms you want to comment on?

JFC (Jesus Fu**ing Christ) IMO there is no greater disrespect then this!

BS (Bull sh!t) ok, but I can take it or leave it

GD (God Dam) not ok

ROFLMFAO (Roll On Flore Laugh My Fu***** Ass Off) not ok, but I am not offended by it, still the intent is there

Any other topics related to language use/profanity that you want to comment on:

Gay? ok, after all it means cheerful

douche ? ok

Cu*t? NOT OK

Sl*t? not ok

Ska*k ? not ok

Di*k? not ok. I know its a name, but if we allow it, it will be used as profanity.

Jesus Christ? When this is used in vain, as profanity. It is more offensive to me then just about anything you could say. might be hard to filter it, but maybe we could make it where if it is used as profanity the mods can edit it?
    Last edited by fcspikeit; 01-06-2008 at 03:06 AM.

Asked at what point would it be in the best interest of the team to trade Cutler, McDaniels answered: "Never." Nice to see your a man of your word Josh

Adopted Bronco:
    broncos_mtnman

Quote Originally Posted by fcspikeit View Post
    Jesus Christ? When this is used in vain, as profanity. It is more offensive to me then just about anything you could say. might be hard to filter it, but maybe we could make it where if it is used as profanity the mods can edit it?

Good point!!

Or seeing JHC...needs not be used on this board either IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by fcspikeit View Post
    Gay? ok, after all it means cheerful

douche ? ok

Cu**? NOT OK

sl**? not ok

ska** ? not ok

I left JC out for now, because it is a seperate issue from profanity, as it is religious and very controversial. It definately needs to be addressed, but figured we could take it in steps.

Adopted Bronco:

Should the word whore be censored?
    Yes! Anything that you wouldn't call your mom should be censored!

so jerk, punk, chump, sucker, twit, freak and any word in the entire english language that can be construed as even the slightest bit offensive or derogatory should be filtered. . . ?

i'm sorry, IMO that is going much, much, mcuh too far! that's getting into the type of censorship that almost completely restricts speech and communication on the board. . . if we try to make it so completely bland and inoffensive that even the most sensitive of souls cannot possibly be disturbed by anything they read here, we're also going to make it so utterly freaking boring that virtually no one will WANT to post here. . .

if i think phillippe rivers is a jerk, i want to be able to post it! i'm in favor of having some basic standards of decency, but you have to be able to talk at least somewhat like grown-ups, or what's the point in coming here. . . ? terms such as c u n t and t w a t are still considered vulgar and don't belong here IMO, but whore, tramp, sl ut etc have been acceptable parts of the common parlance for years-- you can read them in magazines or newspapers, or hear them on basic television. . . i feel very strongly that anything not restricted by the FCC for basic cable shouldn't be restricted here-- not only do i see that as overly restrictive and prudish, but i think going that far is going to lessen the membership of this place eventually. . . as i said in the other thread, i refuse to believe that anyone can't enjoy this place without dropping f-bombs, but i don't imagine too many people want to come here and have to behave as though they were in church-- this IS a football discussion board after all, not an after-school special. . . JMO. . .
    Last edited by dogfish; 01-06-2008 at 03:20 AM.
    “When we do find that guy, we’ve got to have the continuity on the offensive side to where we can train him and develop him and get him there. This is our fourth offense in probably three or four years. Quarterbacks need to be developed. You don’t find one ready-made. We got to have a solid system in place for when we do go after whatever guy it may be, a young guy or a trade or whatnot.”
    - John Elway

Adopted Bronco:
    broncos_mtnman

Dog is a jerk, punk, chump, sucker, twit, freak...yes I want to be able to say those also!!!

Adopted Bronco:

Quote Originally Posted by Watchthemiddle View Post
    Dog is a jerk, punk, chump, sucker, twit, freak...yes I want to be able to say those also!!!

well seriously, who doesn't??

i also don't see anything offensive about calling paris hilton a sl ut-- she is, simple fact of life. . .
    - John Elway

Adopted Bronco:
    broncos_mtnman

well seriously, who doesn't??

i also don't see anything offensive about calling paris hilton a sl ut-- she is, simple fact of life. . .
    I think the words Paris Hilton, Britney Spears, and Lindsey Lohan should be banned.

Adopted Bronco:

Quote Originally Posted by Watchthemiddle View Post
    I think the words Paris Hilton, Britney Spears, and Lindsey Lohan should be banned.

along with oakland raiders, san diego chargers, and kansas city chiefs. . . but wait, then how can we talk smack about them?
    - John Elway

Adopted Bronco:
    broncos_mtnman

along with oakland raiders, san diego chargers, and kansas city chiefs. . . but wait, then how can we talk smack about them?
    You just have to bite your tongue and say those. Or sub them for the Faiders, Chefs, Cry Babbies, etc.

Adopted Bronco:
    Brandon Stokley

so jerk, punk, chump, sucker, twit, freak and any word in the entire english language that can be construed as even the slightest bit offensive or derogatory should be filtered. . . ?

i'm sorry, IMO that is going much, much, mcuh too far! that's getting into the type of censorship that almost completely restricts speech and communication on the board. . . if we try to make it so completely bland and inoffensive that even the most sensitive of souls cannot possibly be disturbed by anything they read here, we're also going to make it so utterly freaking boring that virtually no one will WANT to post here. . .

if i think phillippe rivers is a jerk, i want to be able to post it! i'm in favor of having some basic standards of decency, but you have to be able to talk at least somewhat like grown-ups, or what's the point in coming here. . . ? terms such as c u n t and t w a t are still considered vulgar and don't belong here IMO, but whore, tramp, sl ut etc have been acceptable parts of the common parlance for years-- you can read them in magazines or newspapers, or hear them on basic television. . . i feel very strongly that anything not restricted by the FCC for basic cable shouldn't be restricted here-- not only do i see that as overly restrictive and prudish, but i think going that far is going to lessen the membership of this place eventually. . . as i said in the other thread, i refuse to believe that anyone can't enjoy this place without dropping f-bombs, but i don't imagine too many people want to come here and have to behave as though they were in church-- this IS a football discussion board after all, not an after-school special. . . JMO. . .

You went on a rant because I said "whore" shouldn't be accepted?

Are you really saying if you called your mom a "jerk, punk, chump, sucker, twit, freak". you would feel the same as if you called her a whore, tramp, or sl ut?

You must. Otherwise you wouldn't just assume that because I said "Anything you wouldn't call your mom" I meant all of the above.

Whore, tramp, or sl ut, all are degrading to women. They have a specific meaning. I don't care what anyone says, calling a female a whore, tramp, or sl ut, is not the same as calling someone a sucker, freak or jerk.

When I wrote, "anything you wouldn't call your mom" I wondered if people would get the wrong idea. When I read the word Whore, I thought of someone using it as a personal attack. Such as, what would a whore like you know about football anyways?

That would fall under personal attacks. Therefore, it wouldn't be excepted even if we allowed the word whore. I suppose the word whore can be used in other ways. Such as calling someone a CP whore.

Either way, Just because I feel the female members here wont appreciate the words whore, tramp, or sl ut in no way means I want a board, "so completely bland and inoffensive that even the most sensitive of souls cannot possibly be disturbed by anything they read here, we're also going to make it so utterly freaking boring that virtually no one will WANT to post here. . ."

You read way to much into my statement!

Asked at what point would it be in the best interest of the team to trade Cutler, McDaniels answered: "Never." Nice to see your a man of your word Josh

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information