Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 14 ... LastLast

Thread: Town Hall Discussion: Specific Language - Acceptable or not?

Adopted Bronco:
    Demaryius Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by MissouriBronc View Post
    Specific Words:

Should the word Ass be censored? No.

Should the word B!tch be censored? Yes.

Should the word whore be censored? No. (For example, I really don't see the problem in someone calling anyone a money-grubbing whore...I do have a problem with someone calling someone else a whore, but then that's a personal attack and it falls under a completely different set of rules, right?)

Should the word sh!t be censored? Yes.

Should f-bombs be censored? Yes.

Should the word b@stard be censored? I don't think so.

Circumventing the word censor:

Should people be able to get around the word censor by adding letters like $ or ! (a$$ or sh!t)? Warn or Edit, don't ban, unless it's a personal attack.

If a person posts a word that is **** out by the word censor, is that ok, or should the post be edited/deleted and the poster warned (examples "**** this" or "the team played like ****")? Unless its a personal attack, who cares?

Acronyms:

Which of the following accronyms are ok or not ok (general translation of the acronym given, some variations exist)?

WTH (what the hell/heck)? OK

WTF (what the fu**)? OK

FUBAR (fu**ed up beyond all recognition)? OK (Stanley tools even has a tool called the FUBAR!)

**** (shut the fu** up)? OK

LMAO (Laughing my ass off)? OK

LMFAO (Laughing my fu**ing ass off)? OK

SNAFU (situation normal, all fu**ed up)? OK

SOB (son of a b!tch)? OK

I consider myself an upstanding member of this community and I can think of a number of other people I would consider good, well meaning, decent people that post on this board, who do use curse words. I think A.) it makes the mods job even worse if you start banning for the use of words, and B.) it's a word, unless its a personal attack, what does it matter?
    **** can be used mainly as in personal attacks. I have not seen it used differently.

Adopted Bronco:
    Stokley, Miller, Wolfe

[QUOTE=MissouriBronc;84799]Specific Words:

Should the word Ass be censored? No.

Should the word B!tch be censored? Yes.

Should the word whore be censored? No. (For example, I really don't see the problem in someone calling anyone a money-grubbing whore...I do have a problem with someone calling someone else a whore, but then that's a personal attack and it falls under a completely different set of rules, right?)

Should the word sh!t be censored? Yes.

Should f-bombs be censored? Yes.

Should the word b@stard be censored? I don't think so.

Circumventing the word censor:

Should people be able to get around the word censor by adding letters like $ or ! (a$$ or sh!t)? Warn or Edit, don't ban, unless it's a personal attack.

If a person posts a word that is **** out by the word censor, is that ok, or should the post be edited/deleted and the poster warned (examples "**** this" or "the team played like ****")? Unless its a personal attack, who cares?

I think it's like someone else said it's the beep on TV and if you are not attacking someone else I really don't care.

Acronyms:

Which of the following accronyms are ok or not ok (general translation of the acronym given, some variations exist)?

WTH (what the hell/heck)? OK

WTF (what the fu**)? OK

FUBAR (fu**ed up beyond all recognition)? OK (Stanley tools even has a tool called the FUBAR!)
    I try not to curse, but I even use this, because it just works, and people understand right away

**** (shut the fu** up)? OK
    If used in an argument, then no, if used as a statement between friends, I really don't care.

LMAO (Laughing my ass off)? OK

LMFAO (Laughing my fu**ing ass off)? OK

SNAFU (situation normal, all fu**ed up)? OK

SOB (son of a b!tch)? OK

I rarely curse in public because that was the way I was raised. I really don't have a issue with most of the words on this list. I have more issues with someone being crude. Any of the above words used to attack someone is not ok. Thanks MB you saved me from typing.

Quote Originally Posted by TXBRONC View Post
    They don stand for words. I really don't want someone using **** with me. I don't call that having fun. I call that being rude.

and that was the point of my last post. YOU would get offended at that. I on the other hand is so used to it that I wouldnt even think about it.

funny how what good behavior is so different from man to woman, city to city and country to country isnt it?

Adopted Bronco:
    Champ Bailey

I don't know, SNAFU seems to be a pretty appropriate acronym for our defense

To be honest, so often it depends on the context in which it's used, as long as it's not used in an abusive manner then I'm pretty relaxed.........

And to be honest, automated filters really get up my nose, for example on the other board where, for example, an opposition coach's name couldn't be used
    BFC.........D Will #27.............D Nash #29..............K Mc #11
    You'll Never Walk Alone

The Whiskeyteers ~ One for all, and all for more

Adopted Bronco:
    The Infallible Matt McChesney

I've never heard anybody say SNAFU before... speaking of which, doesn't SCUBA stand for something (not inappropriate, like Something Something Underwater Something Apparatus)?
    Quote Originally Posted by OaklandRaider View Post
    But what can you say to an intelligent Raider fan?

Adopted Bronco:
    Mike Leach

Quote Originally Posted by Den21vsBal19 View Post
    And to be honest, automated filters really get up my nose, for example on the other board where, for example, an opposition coach's name couldn't be used
    LOL. On the Freak, chit was filtered. You couldn't say Wichita or architecture without it looking like Wi****ta or ar****ecture.
    Quote Originally Posted by Benetto View Post
    Orton can't single left handedly ruin everything on O.
    We didn't lose the game; we just ran out of time. - Vince Lombardi

"I make mistakes, I am out of control and at times hard to handle. But if you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best."
    — Marilyn Monroe

Quote Originally Posted by pnbronco View Post
    dang it go drink some Fireball and find your own dang chicken....

Adopted Bronco:
    Mike Leach

Quote Originally Posted by Broncospsycho77 View Post
    I've never heard anybody say SNAFU before... speaking of which, doesn't SCUBA stand for something (not inappropriate, like Something Something Underwater Something Apparatus)?
    Self-Contained Underwater Breathing Apparatus

"I make mistakes, I am out of control and at times hard to handle. But if you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best."
    — Marilyn Monroe

Adopted Bronco:
    The Infallible Matt McChesney

Quote Originally Posted by frauschieze View Post
    LOL. On the Freak, chit was filtered. You couldn't say Wichita or architecture without it looking like Wi****ta or ar****ecture.
    Oh wow, I thought they did that because they hated Wi****a or something... LOL
    Quote Originally Posted by OaklandRaider View Post
    But what can you say to an intelligent Raider fan?

If the VAST majority of the users on this Website are adult, just censor the F Bomb and the really harsh stuff. Most kids know what the words and abbrevations mean. Even if you just flat out have the *****s it doesn't matter one bit. It is called context people, and allow me to show you some examples (I will try to keep them tame).

Man, that cheerleader looks like a *****. Well, seriously now it is time for us to be realistic. He or she is saying that the Cheerleader looks like a women who is either very friendly with her affection or makes her pay in ways that you cannot file for with the IRS. In other words, he is saying that she looks like a whore, a ****, or whatever else you want to call it. Seriously, edit the F Bomb, edit out the word that starts with a C and ends with a T and may or not a N in it. Edit out the stuff that is REALLY rough and leave it at that. Edit out the N bomb, and edit out Faggot, and edit out all the other racial slurs. The Word *****, Ass, Whore, Damn, etc etc etc etc being edited out is silly. This is a MB for all, but at the same point in time it rarely does any good to have the lesser curses edited out.

Adopted Bronco:
    Doom!

Quote Originally Posted by frauschieze View Post
    A very good point. I think that is where disgression by the mods is in order. I tend to think if a conversation/debate/argument is going to escalate, it will, regardless of the language used.

The more discretion we allow in the rules, the more the mods will take heat for using their discretion.

They don stand for words. I really don't want someone using **** with me. I don't call that having fun. I call that being rude.
    I think you have to have a little more leeway than that. I mean, if you allow more words to be used it will be obvious when it is in fun and when it is used to be mean or attack someone. If a poster keeps attacking people they get the boot. So what is the real issue here?

Adopted Bronco:
    Demaryius Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by haroldthebarrel View Post
    and that was the point of my last post. YOU would get offended at that. I on the other hand is so used to it that I wouldnt even think about it.

funny how what good behavior is so different from man to woman, city to city and country to country isnt it?
    It is funny how it varies from place to place. The fan boards that I have been on the most haven't done that. The have used the acronyms WTF, WTH, LMAO, and so forth but some just not used as matter of decency. If Broncos Forums decides this acceptable then like everyone else I have basically two choices. Learn to cope with it or find a new home and quite honestly I have no desire to move along even if such changes take place.

Adopted Bronco:
    Mike Leach

Quote Originally Posted by LordTrychon View Post
    The more discretion we allow in the rules, the more the mods will take heat for using their discretion.
    Absolutely true. I don't have a good counter argument to this.

Personally, I think the mods have a thankless job and shouldn't be harassed for doing it.

— Marilyn Monroe

Adopted Bronco:
    Demaryius Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by King87 View Post
    I think you have to have a little more leeway than that. I mean, if you allow more words to be used it will be obvious when it is in fun and when it is used to be mean or attack someone. If a poster keeps attacking people they get the boot. So what is the real issue here?
    The issue is it's still a demeaning thing to say to people in my opinion.

Adopted Bronco:
    Doom!

The issue is it's still a demeaning thing to say to people in my opinion.
    What about STHU?

Edit: Has that EVER been used before?

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information