Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast

Thread: Town Hall Discussion: Specific Language - Acceptable or not?

Quote Originally Posted by MileHighWrath View Post
    BTW ... MEGA High Fives to tned and the mods for this and the other open and candid discussions about the direction of this forum! I certainly feel comfortable and confident in the approach you are all taking with the inclusion of your membership.
    I have been watching this thread from it start.

I guess I have been surprised with some of the answers.. Do not take this as a negative..

When we say we are trying to be inclusive and get everyones thoughts in these areas it is not just lip syncing..

It is only with input from all that we can grow..

Keep the posts a coming..

Adopted Bronco:
    Matt Prater | Place Kicker

Quote Originally Posted by tnedator View Post
    Ok, right now, due to the fast influx of new members who didn't know the rules and what was/wasn't acceptable here, the mods temporarily relaxed the language standards to ease the transition (such as allowing acronyms like WTF or letting slide words that were altered to get around the profanity filter).

This cannot continue if the rules stay as they are, so we need to visit some specifics related to what is/isn't profanity and what should/shouldn't be allowed in posts to give the board input so they can determine if the rules regarding profanity need to be modified or left as is.

Something to keep in mind when answering these questions.

Personal attacks are not allowed, regardless of language being used. So, whether a personal attack/slam is done using a curse or not, it is likely against the rules.

Sexually explicit language (describing sexual acts) is not acceptable as the rules stand, and that topic is not part of this discussion.

So, when we talk about curses/language here, it would be in the context of being used as an exlamation, adjective, etc., not a means to personally attack someone (forbidden with or without curses) or describe sexual acts.

So, please give input on the following words/points (the input on these, will help the board get a feel for what generally is or isn't considered acceptable by our members, and they therefore will apply that to other 'similar' words). Please give input on each of these questions:

====================
    Questions to answer
    ====================

Specific Words:

Should the word Ass be censored? Yes
    Should the word B!tch be censored? Yes

Should the word whore be censored? ABSOLUTELY

Should the word sh!t be censored? ?

Should f-bombs be censored? yes

Should the word b@stard be censored? Absolutely!

Circumventing the word censor:

Should people be able to get around the word censor by adding letters like $ or ! (a$$ or sh!t)? NO

If a person posts a word that is **** out by the word censor, is that ok, or should the post be edited/deleted and the poster warned (examples "**** this" or "the team played like ****")? ABSOLUTELY!!

Acronyms:

Which of the following accronyms are ok or not ok (general translation of the acronym given, some variations exist)?

WTH (what the hell/heck)? YES

WTF (what the fu**)? NO

FUBAR (fouled/fu**ed up beyond all recognition)? NO

**** (shut the fu** up)? NO

LMAO (Laughing my ass off)? YES

LMFAO (Laughing my fu**ing ass off)? NO

SNAFU (situation normal, all fouled/fu**ed up)? NO

SOB (son of a b!tch/bum)? YES

Other Acronyms you want to comment on?

Any other topics related to language use/profanity that you want to comment on:

I do not think that any vulgar word that addresses a woman or mans "sexual organs" should ever be allowed in any forum. (except maybe a XXX forum) ((This isn't one of those is it?))

The starred out words are the best if necessary for sure, the acronyms would be okay as long as they weren't used in a way to attack someone else on the board.

I think for the most part people here try to have fun, but we do have to remember that it isn't just a room full of "guys" in a basement talking here, there are women, teens, etc. Some of the negative language does nothing to help the atmosphere of the board, and actually can diminish it.

We all have our own opinions... and I appreciate my chance to voice mine.

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

Should the word Ass be censored? No

Should the word B!tch be censored? Yes

Should the word whore be censored? Yes

Should the word sh!t be censored? No

Should f-bombs be censored? Yes

Should the word b@stard be censored? Yes

Circumventing the word censor:

Should people be able to get around the word censor by adding letters like $ or ! (a$$ or sh!t)? I have no problem with it ...

If a person posts a word that is **** out by the word censor, is that ok, or should the post be edited/deleted and the poster warned (examples "**** this" or "the team played like ****")? I have no ******* problem with this ...

Acronyms:

Which of the following accronyms are ok or not ok (general translation of the acronym given, some variations exist)?

WTH (what the hell/heck)? OK

WTF (what the fu**)? OK

FUBAR (fu**ed up beyond all recognition)? OK

**** (shut the fu** up)? OK

LMAO (Laughing my ass off)? OK

LMFAO (Laughing my fu**ing ass off)? OK

SNAFU (situation normal, all fouled/fu**ed up)? OK

SOB (son of a b!tch)? OK

If people read these accronyms and don't know what they mean, then purpose served. (see post #2)

If they read these accronyms and understand these terms, then purpose served ...

The only problem i see with any vulgar words or terms is 'young people' reading them. It's something we all need to be considerate of ...

Adopted Bronco:
    broncos_mtnman

Spelling out the words...NO

Accronyms ... Yes

Trying to fill in the letters with symbols to get around the filter...NO

Adopted Bronco:
    Doom!

I have a hard time picturing when **** will be used that wouldn't be considered a personal attack.

Maybe when you are relating a story of what happened to you?

Me - "I got a signed Elway Jersey for Christmas!"

My friend - "****!"

I guess.....

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

Quote Originally Posted by LordTrychon View Post
    I have a hard time picturing when **** will be used that wouldn't be considered a personal attack.

Maybe when you are relating a story of what happened to you?

Me - "I got a signed Elway Jersey for Christmas!"

My friend - "****!"

I guess.....
    In the lounge, joking around with a friend. That would probably be about it. I've used it with friends in the lounge.
    BOOM GOES THE DYNAMITE

The problem I see with many of the acronyms is simply....

if they are used in 'good fun', fine...no problems.

However, you make it 'the rule' that they are okay, across the board, and they are used in debates or arguments, they will just escalate a conversation vs tone it down.

That may not bother a handful of posters on the board, but if you step back and look at it from a modding perspective or a fellow poster who has to observe the discussion taking place....it just seems like it's opening a can of worms to me.

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

Just use them in the lounge and not in football discussions. They add fun to the lounge area. The lounge is suppose to be fun.
    BOOM GOES THE DYNAMITE

Adopted Bronco:
    Mike Leach

Quote Originally Posted by Jody View Post

However, you make it 'the rule' that they are okay, across the board, and they are used in debates or arguments, they will just escalate a conversation vs tone it down.

That may not bother a handful of posters on the board, but if you step back and look at it from a modding perspective or a fellow poster who has to observe the discussion taking place....it just seems like it's opening a can of worms to me.
    A very good point. I think that is where disgression by the mods is in order. I tend to think if a conversation/debate/argument is going to escalate, it will, regardless of the language used.
    Quote Originally Posted by Benetto View Post
    Orton can't single left handedly ruin everything on O.
    We didn't lose the game; we just ran out of time. - Vince Lombardi

"I make mistakes, I am out of control and at times hard to handle. But if you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best."
    — Marilyn Monroe

Quote Originally Posted by pnbronco View Post
    dang it go drink some Fireball and find your own dang chicken....

Adopted Bronco:
    broncos_mtnman

Quote Originally Posted by Jody View Post

Jody, you could be right.

Just as the acronyms could be seen as good fun or personal attacks, so could actually spelling out the words or trying to beat the filter.

In my opinion, profanity never leads to anything good. Especially on a message board. We all read into things differently and reading a post with profanity could be interpreted differently then the same exact post without it.

just my

Also, if there are forums/threads that do allow the use of profanity ..ie: smack forum...will there be specific Mods designated to just patrol those areas?

It kinda depends to how poeple speak everyday. I mean, I guess I think that if a board should be moderated on language it should be just kinder than how we everyday speak.
    Not some sort of oxford english that is just constructed.

We norwegians, and especially people from eastern oslo like me swear a lot even while discussion topics like politics, philosophy or whatever.
    In fact I had this experience the other day when I was out drinking and met some others. The one guy was interrupting me all the time and I told him to shut up... basically we all tell that to everybody in my circles and he got seriously offended. I and others I told the story to couldnt just understand how any could be offended by that.

So I guess what I am saying is that as many places or people there are, there will be an equal amount of different opinions to how we speak and use foul language. Or what we even consider and define what a foul word is.
    Thus, I suspect the best way is to try to define one standard and moderate that accordingly... keeping one line so that no mods give infractions to something another wouldnt do.. or something another mod would write even.

Adopted Bronco:
    The Infallible Matt McChesney

In my mind there's sort of a hierarchy when it comes to curse words...

First tier-- Probably alright.
    The A word, the H word,maybe the Ba word: it's gained some recognition. Most of the acronyms go here, too. Include the "crap", "crud" words here, too.

Second tier-- Use very sparingly.
    The Bi word, the Sh word, the Wh word, the D Word.

Third tier-- Never use. Incredibly offensive or derogatory to a specific group of people.
    The F word, the C word, the N bomb or the K bomb.
    Quote Originally Posted by OaklandRaider View Post
    But what can you say to an intelligent Raider fan?

Adopted Bronco:
    Josh McDaniels Sucks

Quote Originally Posted by Broncospsycho77 View Post
    In my mind there's sort of a hierarchy when it comes to curse words...

First tier-- Probably alright.
    The A word, the H word,maybe the Ba word: it's gained some recognition. Most of the acronyms go here, too. Include the "crap", "crud" words here, too.

Second tier-- Use very sparingly.
    The Bi word, the Sh word, the Wh word, the D Word.

Third tier-- Never use. Incredibly offensive or derogatory to a specific group of people.
    The F word, the C word, the N bomb or the K bomb.
    You spelled the K Bomb wrong.

Adopted Bronco:
    The Infallible Matt McChesney

Quote Originally Posted by claymore View Post
    You spelled the K Bomb wrong.

tencharacters
    Quote Originally Posted by OaklandRaider View Post
    But what can you say to an intelligent Raider fan?

Adopted Bronco:
    Demaryius Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by Bronco9798 View Post
    No one would have to ask themselves why am I so sensitive over people having a little fun.

Those abbreviations don't even spell a word. Eliminate cuss words, but at least leave a little something to have fun with in some areas like the lounge.
    They don stand for words. I really don't want someone using **** with me. I don't call that having fun. I call that being rude.

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information