Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 4 12 13 14 15 LastLast

Thread: Town Hall Discussion: Specific Language - Acceptable or not?

Adopted Bronco:
    Von

Quote Originally Posted by tnedator View Post
    Ok, right now, due to the fast influx of new members who didn't know the rules and what was/wasn't acceptable here, the mods temporarily relaxed the language standards to ease the transition (such as allowing acronyms like WTF or letting slide words that were altered to get around the profanity filter).

This cannot continue if the rules stay as they are, so we need to visit some specifics related to what is/isn't profanity and what should/shouldn't be allowed in posts to give the board input so they can determine if the rules regarding profanity need to be modified or left as is.

Something to keep in mind when answering these questions.

Personal attacks are not allowed, regardless of language being used. So, whether a personal attack/slam is done using a curse or not, it is likely against the rules.

Sexually explicit language (describing sexual acts) is not acceptable as the rules stand, and that topic is not part of this discussion.

So, when we talk about curses/language here, it would be in the context of being used as an exlamation, adjective, etc., not a means to personally attack someone (forbidden with or without curses) or describe sexual acts.

So, please give input on the following words/points (the input on these, will help the board get a feel for what generally is or isn't considered acceptable by our members, and they therefore will apply that to other 'similar' words). Please give input on each of these questions:

====================
    Questions to answer
    ====================

Specific Words:

Should the word Ass be censored?

Should the word B!tch be censored?

Should the word whore be censored?

Should the word sh!t be censored?

Should f-bombs be censored?

Should the word b@stard be censored?

Circumventing the word censor:

Should people be able to get around the word censor by adding letters like $ or ! (a$$ or sh!t)?

If a person posts a word that is **** out by the word censor, is that ok, or should the post be edited/deleted and the poster warned (examples "**** this" or "the team played like ****")?

Acronyms:

Which of the following accronyms are ok or not ok (general translation of the acronym given, some variations exist)?

WTH (what the hell/heck)?

WTF (what the fu**)?

FUBAR (fouled/fu**ed up beyond all recognition)?

**** (shut the fu** up)?

LMAO (Laughing my ass off)?

LMFAO (Laughing my fu**ing ass off)?

SNAFU (situation normal, all fouled/fu**ed up)?

SOB (son of a b!tch/bum)?

Other Acronyms you want to comment on?

Any other topics related to language use/profanity that you want to comment on:
    Let the swearin begin biatches

T - u prolly already knew what I was gonna freakin say though huh

Seriously I was just thinking about this today w/o knowing this thread was out there - swearing just for the fuc of it should be ok - but you shouldnt be able to call someone a fuc head (unless they are a raiders fan, DS not incl. if you call him one I'll have to go off on your sorry ass )

But I know we have a lot of people on here that it really does bother - so IDK cause I really love everyone here and want everyone to be happy
    Last edited by topscribe; 01-09-2008 at 04:17 PM. Reason: using presently prohibited language not cool, even in this thread
    Quote Originally Posted by Buff View Post
    More Americans have been killed by New England Patriots players than by Ebola.

Adopted Bronco:
    Von

Quote Originally Posted by Jody View Post
    Good grief. Then one has to ask themself 'why' they feel it's necessary to use all those terms on a routine basis on a public board. The privacy of friends or their own home, etc. is a different matter.

Plus, what the Freaks do not understand is how much room tned has given all of you as new members of this board, and it was not what we had for boundaries prior to your coming on board. However, some change is good, not denying that.

Seriously - you guys get to swear and im getting censored still - I feel like someone is playing favorites

Adopted Bronco:
    Von

Quote Originally Posted by LordTrychon View Post
    I have a hard time picturing when **** will be used that wouldn't be considered a personal attack.

Maybe when you are relating a story of what happened to you?

Me - "I got a signed Elway Jersey for Christmas!"

My friend - "****!"

I guess.....
    When you tell Whodey to **** no one minds - by i digress - his ass never comes here anymore (i censored myself for you guys on that one )
    Last edited by topscribe; 01-09-2008 at 04:22 PM. Reason: still had to edit it: partially spelling something is taboo and probably will be even under the new rules

Kids have been swearing since 4th, 5th, 6th, even 7th grade.
    Seeing it on a message board wont hurt anyone.

I've never been offended by what someone has said verbally before.
    Sticks and stones can break my bones but words on a message board will never hurt me.
    @Tnedator

RIP DARRENT WILLIAMS
    RIP DAMIEN NASH
    RIP BFC
    RIP Sneakers the Cat

Quote Originally Posted by JayCutler4MVP!!! View Post
    Sticks and stones can break my bones but words on a message board will never hurt me.
    I wouldn't say that on a Chuck Norris message board.
    If you ain't Dutch, you ain't much.

Adopted Bronco:
    Von

Quote Originally Posted by SeeingRed View Post
    When I was 13, the last thing I was worried about was an internet message board. I was too busy finding out how to masturbate and how to dominate the whole world in NFL Blitz on Nintendo 64.
    There was no internet when I was 13 - Hell there werent even PC's - I didnt start using computers in school till I was a junior - and then it was learning how to like draw a square by typing code or something - dot matrix printers - boy am i dating myself with this post

Adopted Bronco:
    Von

Quote Originally Posted by JayCutler4MVP!!! View Post
    Kids have been swearing since 4th, 5th, 6th, even 7th grade.
    Seeing it on a message board wont hurt anyone.

I've never been offended by what someone has said verbally before.
    Its true - ive seen him called everything under the sun on both MB's and he just doesnt go away

j/k Jay you know I love ya

Adopted Bronco:
    All of 'em

Quote Originally Posted by SeeingRed View Post
    When I was 13, the last thing I was worried about was an internet message board. I was too busy finding out how to masturbate and how to dominate the whole world in NFL Blitz on Nintendo 64.
    When I was 13 I was outside playing with my Fanner Fifty's, playing ditchem and wishing my parents would buy a TV so we could watch the one channel we could get at the time.

Times change.
    Merry.

Adopted Bronco:
    DOOM!

Again .... if you interpret the F in WTF, ****, LMFAO, etc. as the word f**k, that's your problem, get your mind out of the gutter.

Acronyms leave it entirely up to the reader to determine what each letter stands for.

Nobody in the game of football should be called a genius. A genius is somebody like Norman Einstein ...Joe Theismann

I like being able to say Bitches.

Bitches.

Quote Originally Posted by MileHighWrath View Post
    Again .... if you interpret the F in WTF, ****, LMFAO, etc. as the word f**k, that's your problem, get your mind out of the gutter.

Acronyms leave it entirely up to the reader to determine what each letter stands for.
    ABM=
    anything but microsoft
    Anti-Ballistic Missile

Adopted Bronco:
    Demaryius Thomas

Please give input on each of these questions:

====================
    Questions to answer
    ====================

Specific Words:

Should the word Ass be censored? yes

Should the word B!tch be censored? no

Should the word whore be censored? no

Should the word sh!t be censored? yes

Should f-bombs be censored? no

Should the word b@stard be censored? no

Should people be able to get around the word censor by adding letters like $ or ! (a$$ or sh!t)? No theys shouldn't be censored

If a person posts a word that is **** out by the word censor, is that ok, or should the post be edited/deleted and the poster warned (examples "**** this" or "the team played like ****")? If its alread filtered out then I don't see why it would need to be edited any further.

Acronyms:

Which of the following accronyms are ok or not ok (general translation of the acronym given, some variations exist)?

WTH (what the hell/heck)? yes

WTF (what the fu**)? no

FUBAR (fouled/fu**ed up beyond all recognition)? no

**** (shut the fu** up)? no

LMAO (Laughing my ass off)? yes

LMFAO (Laughing my fu**ing ass off)? no

SNAFU (situation normal, all fouled/fu**ed up)? no

SOB (son of a b!tch/bum)? no

While I said no to all the uses of the 'F' word I can deal with if its allowed.

Quote Originally Posted by TXBRONC View Post

====================
    Questions to answer
    ====================

Specific Words:

Should people be able to get around the word censor by adding letters like $ or ! (a$$ or sh!t)? No theys shouldn't be censored

If a person posts a word that is **** out by the word censor, is that ok, or should the post be edited/deleted and the poster warned (examples "**** this" or "the team played like ****")? If its alread filtered out then I don't see why it would need to be edited any further.

Acronyms:

WTF (what the fu**)? no

Copy cat.

Adopted Bronco:
    Brandon Stokley

Quote Originally Posted by TXBRONC View Post

====================
    Questions to answer
    ====================

Specific Words:

Acronyms:

WTF (what the fu**)? no

Did you write No when you ment yes?

"Should f-bombs be censored? no"

Just wondering because you said no to all the the F words in any of the acronyms, yet it would appear you said Yes to allow the F-bomb?

Asked at what point would it be in the best interest of the team to trade Cutler, McDaniels answered: "Never." Nice to see your a man of your word Josh

Can I say.........." fo shizzle bizzle"?
    2012: The Year that Mo Got Laid

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information