Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 3 11 12 13 14 15 LastLast

Thread: Town Hall Discussion: Specific Language - Acceptable or not?

What do you mean by that? ?

And people in my family have epilepsy actually.
    @Tnedator

RIP DARRENT WILLIAMS
    RIP DAMIEN NASH
    RIP BFC
    RIP Sneakers the Cat

Adopted Bronco:
    Brandon Stokley

Quote Originally Posted by tnedator View Post
    Do you sound them out with f-bombs, freakin, frackin or friggin (for the "f" ones)?

One reason I ask, is last night alone, I watched two shows (scrubs and desperate housewives) where they said friggin and frick it, and on battlestar and many other places now, they use frack and frackin.

I know I have often used friggin.
    I sound them out with the F word. But as I said before, I believe that is because I came on the computer later. I believe those brought up on the computer just see them as words.

IMO the acronyms are a lot better then the actual words. I also see WTF and **** as being worse then ROFLMFAO, But thats just me.

When I filled out your question's. I answered to what I felt would be appropriate for my 13 year old nieces or nephews. I voted not to allow a lot of the acronyms, knowing most would be allowed. I am OK with that.

Any time you are trying to set the allowance off of a groups view of morality, normaly the most extreme at both ends gets ruled out and you settle for somewhere in the middle. Therefore, a lot of us who don't want the bad stuff, set the bottom low. Knowing if the bottom was somewhere in the middle we would end up settling closer to the top, instead of the middle where we wanted to be all along.

IMO, **** posses a greater potential of harm then the other acronyms. But if we allow it, we should just allow it and not force the mods to have to rule the intent on a case by case bases.

After all, If we are going with the acronyms not having a specific meaning and its up to the reader to understand as they choose, then what is wrong with telling someone to Shut The Freak Up? Even if its done in disagreement.

Asked at what point would it be in the best interest of the team to trade Cutler, McDaniels answered: "Never." Nice to see your a man of your word Josh

Adopted Bronco:
    Bob Howsam

Why don't we just make the forums visible to members only and avoid this entire arguement so no one has to worry about any 13 year olds seeing it. For crying out loud...
    "Milk is for babies. When you grow up, you have to drink beer" -Arnold

Adopted Bronco:
    The Infallible Matt McChesney

Quote Originally Posted by SeeingRed View Post
    Why don't we just make the forums visible to members only and avoid this entire arguement so no one has to worry about any 13 year olds seeing it. For crying out loud...
    I think the discussion is intended more for the 13 year olds who are peaking over their parnents' shoulders when on the forums.
    Quote Originally Posted by OaklandRaider View Post
    But what can you say to an intelligent Raider fan?

Because apparently a great number of people enjoy reading internet message boards with their children.

The only reason that I favor any filtering is because I know that sometimes "dirty" words can be picked up by filtering devices at work. And I don't need another board blocked by my work.

And I think censoring acronyms is ridiculous. I have a limited brain capacity and with a limited brain capacity comes a small vocabulary. I need swear words in some form. It's a handicap. I shouldn't be judged or I may be forced to file a lawsuit.
    If you ain't Dutch, you ain't much.

Quote Originally Posted by Broncospsycho77 View Post
    I think the discussion is intended more for the 13 year olds who are peaking over their parnents' shoulders when on the forums.
    Shouldn't children be in their rooms playing violent video games and not snooping over their parents shoulders?

Ricky Guest

The following post was made to voice my own humble and useless opinion. No animals or insects were placed into harmful conditions or injured while making this post.

I feel that all the cuss word should be censored or banned whether they are typed straight up or they use other characters to fool the censor. But I don't see why any acronym should be censored. In my opinion, any cursing that is used to degrade another user should result in harsh penalties. The Lord's name should never be used in vain or in jest. This includes his son, our Savior. There are other religions such as Buddhists and Muslims that wish for their deity to be respected as well.

Adopted Bronco:
    Bob Howsam

Quote Originally Posted by DallasChief View Post
    Because apparently a great number of people enjoy reading internet message boards with their children.

The only reason that I favor any filtering is because I know that sometimes "dirty" words can be picked up by filtering devices at work. And I don't need another board blocked by my work.

And I think censoring acronyms is ridiculous. I have a limited brain capacity and with a limited brain capacity comes a small vocabulary. I need swear words in some form. It's a handicap. I shouldn't be judged or I may be forced to file a lawsuit.
    When I was 13, the last thing I was worried about was an internet message board. I was too busy finding out how to masturbate and how to dominate the whole world in NFL Blitz on Nintendo 64.

Adopted Bronco:
    Bob Howsam

Quote Originally Posted by Ricky View Post
    The following post was made to voice my own humble and useless opinion. No animals or insects were placed into harmful conditions or injured while making this post.

I feel that all the cuss word should be censored or banned whether they are typed straight up or they use other characters to fool the censor. But I don't see why any acronym should be censored. In my opinion, any cursing that is used to degrade another user should result in harsh penalties. The Lord's name should never be used in vain or in jest. This includes his son, our Savior. There are other religions such as Buddhists and Muslims that wish for their deity to be respected as well.
    Bla. Not everyone here is a Bible thumper and not everyone here cares about taking the Lord's name in vain. I don't do it and I won't, but not everyone here cares about that kind of trivial stuff.

Adopted Bronco:
    The Infallible Matt McChesney

When I was 13, the last thing I was worried about was an internet message board. I was too busy finding out how to masturbate and how to dominate the whole world in NFL Blitz on Nintendo 64.
    I swear that game was rigged... the computer would always win on a Hail Mary to win the game... Best play: Da Bomb.
    Quote Originally Posted by OaklandRaider View Post
    But what can you say to an intelligent Raider fan?

Exactly.

You rule. It's no wonder you're my second best friend.

Bears beat Battlestar Galactia.

Ricky Guest

Bla. Not everyone here is a Bible thumper and not everyone here cares about taking the Lord's name in vain. I don't do it and I won't, but not everyone here cares about that kind of trivial stuff.
    Again just my opinion, but bla not everyone cares about what you think is trivial.

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

So true, DC. So true.
    *The statements above are my opinions, unless they are links, because then they are links, which wouldn't make them my opinions, and I suppose stats aren't necessarily opinion, but they are certainly presented to support an opinion. Proceed accordingly.

Quote Originally Posted by Buff View Post
    What is this, amateur hour? It's TNF against the Jets and you didn't think you'd need extra booze?

SR, I would say that isn't the problem/solution.

We have teenager members, so that doesn't solve the problem. Beyond that, even if we had an 18+ age limit on the site, many of the people opposed to the curses don't want to read them themselves, they aren't just worried about the youngsters.

That's why we need to find a middle ground that will please the middle, even if the extremes aren't 100% happy.

Adopted Bronco:
    Brandon Stokley

I figure your just trying to be funny with this, However, it's not just about the kids reading over your shoulder. 13 year old kids can sign up and be members here. If their parents don't approve of the content here they will tell them not to come. That's what I ment. When I took the questionnaire, I answered to what I felt would be appropriate for my children to see on a football message board.

This is a very good point.

Asked at what point would it be in the best interest of the team to trade Cutler, McDaniels answered: "Never." Nice to see your a man of your word Josh

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information