Page 11 of 15 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast

Thread: Town Hall Discussion: Specific Language - Acceptable or not?

Adopted Bronco:
    DOOM!

rolling of the floor laughing my freaking ass off ... why in the world would that be banned?

Nobody in the game of football should be called a genius. A genius is somebody like Norman Einstein ...Joe Theismann

Adopted Bronco:
    Paul George

Quote Originally Posted by tnedator View Post
    Ok, right now, due to the fast influx of new members who didn't know the rules and what was/wasn't acceptable here, the mods temporarily relaxed the language standards to ease the transition (such as allowing acronyms like WTF or letting slide words that were altered to get around the profanity filter).

This cannot continue if the rules stay as they are, so we need to visit some specifics related to what is/isn't profanity and what should/shouldn't be allowed in posts to give the board input so they can determine if the rules regarding profanity need to be modified or left as is.

Something to keep in mind when answering these questions.

Personal attacks are not allowed, regardless of language being used. So, whether a personal attack/slam is done using a curse or not, it is likely against the rules.

Sexually explicit language (describing sexual acts) is not acceptable as the rules stand, and that topic is not part of this discussion.

So, when we talk about curses/language here, it would be in the context of being used as an exlamation, adjective, etc., not a means to personally attack someone (forbidden with or without curses) or describe sexual acts.

So, please give input on the following words/points (the input on these, will help the board get a feel for what generally is or isn't considered acceptable by our members, and they therefore will apply that to other 'similar' words). Please give input on each of these questions:

====================
    Questions to answer
    ====================

Specific Words:

Should the word Ass be censored?

Should the word B!tch be censored?

Should the word whore be censored?

Should the word sh!t be censored?

Should f-bombs be censored?

Should the word b@stard be censored?

Circumventing the word censor:

Should people be able to get around the word censor by adding letters like $ or ! (a$$ or sh!t)?

If a person posts a word that is **** out by the word censor, is that ok, or should the post be edited/deleted and the poster warned (examples "**** this" or "the team played like ****")?

Acronyms:

Which of the following accronyms are ok or not ok (general translation of the acronym given, some variations exist)?

WTH (what the hell/heck)?

WTF (what the fu**)?

FUBAR (fouled/fu**ed up beyond all recognition)?

**** (shut the fu** up)?

LMAO (Laughing my ass off)?

LMFAO (Laughing my fu**ing ass off)?

SNAFU (situation normal, all fouled/fu**ed up)?

SOB (son of a b!tch/bum)?

Other Acronyms you want to comment on?

Any other topics related to language use/profanity that you want to comment on:
    I don't think ass or ******* needs to be cencored. If someone tries to get around it using other characters such as $ or ! it doesn't bother me too much, but it wouldn't bother me if those got edited either. . .just more work for the mods . . .

Regarding the censor, I think that it should be o.k. to post a word that is removed by the censor resulting in: ****. I learn very quickly to avoid those words and come up with a better alternative, but seeing the asterisks doesn't bother me at all, and it serves it's intended purpose.

The acronyms are all fine by me as well. Many of these are already parts of our society's lexicon, and the others aren't far behind.

Quote Originally Posted by SeeingRed View Post
    rolling on the floor laughing my f-ing ass off
    I know what it means, what I'm saying is that when I see it posted, I just 'know' somebody is posting that they think something is funny, I don't sound out those words in my head.

Same with LOL, it just means funny, I don't sound out "laughing out loud" or "lots of laughs" I just know it means someone is laughing.

That's all I meant. I 'know' what they mean, or what they originally meant in terms of the words, but in practice I see them as:

LMAO = funny
    ROFLMAO/ROFLMFAO = Really funny
    WTH/WTF = ?? question/confusion -- It's an exclamation of disbelief in something that just happened.

Adopted Bronco:
    DOOM!

The point I have tried to make is that the acronyms do NOT specifically reflect certain words. Funny how those that are so offended by the F-bombs will jump to the conclusion that WTF means what the f**k and not what the fudge. Same with all of the rest of them.

I understand tned's generalized comprehension and honestly I don't sound out the individual words either. But how do you ban something that doesn't necessarily say/mean anything vulgar or offensive?

And how many more times will everyone beat this dead horse before decisions are made? Seems like everyone has made their point at least 3 times in this thread.

Nobody in the game of football should be called a genius. A genius is somebody like Norman Einstein ...Joe Theismann

Quote Originally Posted by MileHighWrath View Post
    And how many more times will everyone beat this dead horse before decisions are made? Seems like everyone has made their point at least 3 times in this thread.
    Not everyone has chimed in. Yes, there are some that have commented several times, and that is fine. The bigger issue is that we are leaving it open for those that will be commenting for the first time. We want to hear from as many people as possible before the advisory board makes a decision.

Adopted Bronco:
    DOOM!

Pardon my impatience. The thread is only 2 days old so I suppose it should still be left open.

But WTF is everyone? (J/K)

Adopted Bronco:
    Kay Adams

Should the word Ass be censored? No

Should the word B!tch be censored? No

Should the word whore be censored? No

Should the word sh!t be censored? No

Should f-bombs be censored? Yes

Should the word b@stard be censored? No

Acronyms:

WTH (what the hell/heck)? This is fine

WTF (what the fu**)? This is fine

FUBAR (fouled/fu**ed up beyond all recognition)? This is fine

**** (shut the fu** up)? This is fine

LMAO (Laughing my ass off)? This is fine

LMFAO (Laughing my fu**ing ass off)? This is fine

SNAFU (situation normal, all fouled/fu**ed up)? This is fine

SOB (son of a b!tch/bum)? This is fine

I don't see why any ancronym would be censored.

Adopted Bronco:
    Javonte Williams

Quote Originally Posted by slim View Post
    I don't see why any ancronym would be censored.
    ****!

Adopted Bronco:
    DOOM!

Quote Originally Posted by Hawgdriver View Post
    ****!
    Shut That Fracas up!

Adopted Bronco:
    Kay Adams

Quote Originally Posted by Hawgdriver View Post
    ****!
    Why you son of a *****

Adopted Bronco:
    Stokley, Miller, Wolfe

Quote Originally Posted by Bronco9798 View Post
    I just know it means somebody is laughing and enjoyed what they just read. I really dont think too many people sound them out. The Brain is quick to memorize and you can read right over the acro without saying it or seeing the words involved. ROFLMFAO is better than reading SH*T, F*CK, and other words that most people don't want to see. You can scan over a few acros's a lot better than you can words. Cuss words stick out, the acro's really don't.
    You are right. I'm not sure why I guess the brain really does a scan and just gets the jest without focusing on the words. The only acro I'm still on fence with is ****, and it's more that I don't want to the have the mods to have to police whether it's an attack or between friends.

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

Quote Originally Posted by pnbronco View Post
    You are right. I'm not sure why I guess the brain really does a scan and just gets the jest without focusing on the words. The only acro I'm still on fence with is ****, and it's more that I don't want to the have the mods to have to police whether it's an attack or between friends.
    Well, I'm pretty sure that slim just needs to be banned...you know...for the hell of it...
    *The statements above are my opinions, unless they are links, because then they are links, which wouldn't make them my opinions, and I suppose stats aren't necessarily opinion, but they are certainly presented to support an opinion. Proceed accordingly.

Quote Originally Posted by Buff View Post
    What is this, amateur hour? It's TNF against the Jets and you didn't think you'd need extra booze?

Adopted Bronco:
    Kay Adams

Quote Originally Posted by MissouriBronc View Post
    Well, I'm pretty sure that slim just needs to be banned...you know...for the hell of it...

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

See........
    *The statements above are my opinions, unless they are links, because then they are links, which wouldn't make them my opinions, and I suppose stats aren't necessarily opinion, but they are certainly presented to support an opinion. Proceed accordingly.

Quote Originally Posted by Buff View Post
    What is this, amateur hour? It's TNF against the Jets and you didn't think you'd need extra booze?

Adopted Bronco:
    Javonte Williams

ROTFLMFAOQUICHELORRAIN!!!11

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information