Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Do you think that the defense can "gel" very quickly?

Adopted Bronco:
    ex-Bronco-Craig Morton

Default Do you think that the defense can "gel" very quickly?

Okay, I got to watch some of the preseason games, and like most saw that the starting defense struggled more times then not. I also read Bates say that "they are confident that they'll be ready for Buffalo and that they saw some improvement in the defensive play as the preseason went on, and they didn't show all that they are going to do in the regular season". All that aside, do you guys think that they can gel quickly and be steady right at game one, or are they going to struggle for awhile and then come together?

I think they have the core togther still with champ and lynch and enough new vets who should adapt very well. Plus with Rice comming in and being buddies with lynch I think that added chemistry will definatly help. Bates is also very experienced. I think we should gel together quite fast.

I think with all of the rotations we work on the DL that it is going to take 6-8 games for them to be comfortable with each other.

Between the new scheme and all the new bodies I just can't see how they are gonna be able to overcome chaos, until they know what the guy next to him is gonna do.

Adopted Bronco:
    Baron Browning, Jaleel McLaughlin

right now, i am afraid. . . i think we are going to be relying HEAVILY on travis henry!
    “When we do find that guy, we’ve got to have the continuity on the offensive side to where we can train him and develop him and get him there. This is our fourth offense in probably three or four years. Quarterbacks need to be developed. You don’t find one ready-made. We got to have a solid system in place for when we do go after whatever guy it may be, a young guy or a trade or whatnot.”
    - John Elway

Adopted Bronco:
    Demaryius Thomas

It really depends. The players keep saying that a lot of their troubles had to do with running the base defense and nothing fancy. I hope they will start to gel before the first quarter of the season is over, but it could take longer.

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

For me, it's so hard to say. Yeah the defense did'nt play well in the pre-season but majority of that was alot of "base" defense for the sole purpose of "player evalution".

Some agree on this and some don't.

But as metioned by the players, when the regular season starts, all the adjusting and wrinkles will come out. There may be more problems and maybe some things will come together quicker than most think.

I'll just take the "wait and see" approach.

The Bill's offense will be good practice...

Shouldn't be burned much at all,will be good time to just learn to get in position.

Yes...I know, don't underestimate...but it is Losmen and a rookie RB...I am just not impressed.

The very thing that many are banking on is what worries me most. I keep hearing that the blown assignments and poor overall play was from running the base defense.

It looks to me that as you add more wrinkles the complexity and need to have everyone on the same page increases- and it scare me a little. The ray of sunlight is that the same players will be playing side by side (not the musical chairs of preseason) and communication will begin to improve.

It still looks to me like it will take 3 to 4 games to get a read on where this defense is headed. They could come right out of the blocks wearing blue tights with an S on the chest and a cape on the back. I just can't envision any phone booths for them to change into their superman duds this week.

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

Quote Originally Posted by Dean View Post
    The very thing that many are banking on is what worries me most. I keep hearing that the blown assignments and poor overall play was from running the base defense.

It looks to me that as you add more wrinkles the complexity and need to have everyone on the same page increases- and it scare me a little. The ray of sunlight is that the same players will be playing side by side (not the musical chairs of preseason) and communication will begin to improve.

It still looks to me like it will take 3 to 4 games to get a read on where this defense is headed. They could come right out of the blocks wearing blue tights with an S on the chest and a cape on the back. I just can't envision any phone booths for them to change into their superman duds this week.
    Lets' hope it's (phone booth) Ralph Wilson Stadium!

Adopted Bronco:
    Rick Upchurch

I hope they do, but I doubt any speedy gelling will be involved with this year's unit.

That D-line is just too wishy-washy right now. I really do hope they get it together, but it really does look a bit bleak to me.

Adopted Bronco:
    Demaryius Thomas

I think the best case scenario is they gel in about 3-4 weeks. Worst case scenario 8 or more.

Quote Originally Posted by TXBRONC View Post
    I think the best case scenario is they gel in about 3-4 weeks. Worst case scenario 8 or more.
    best case scenario is 3-4 hours.

you had 502 post as of yesterday. the day isnt even over and you have 582 post, i think your going for a record.
    "Oh I’m sorry, did I break your concentration?”
    Jules Winnfield - Pulp Fiction

I totally agree with you on this.

If you can't even run base defense, how do you run complex defenses?

once Again I will harp on the obvious if the DT's do not do there job then the rest of the defense is playing catch up. They are reacting to the blown assignments.

The DE's are being double teamed and the LB's have OG and tackles blocking them.

Adopted Bronco:
    Champ Bailey

I want to wait and see how they do when they are allowed to use all the schemes. They ran some very vanilla defenses in the preseason and they may not have been entirely serious about it. If they continue doing it into the regular season then I will be worried.
    The bronco chemist.

i remember reading something by I think Bates and B. Johnson saying that they didnt do ANYTHING during the preseason,

they watched the film and saw opportunities they could have blitzed and normaly would have but since its preseaosn they wanted to make it harder on our players to keep there assignments and practice technique instead of overpowering the other team . . . if that true i think it was a great idea, because if they learn to get a rush with just the front 4 then once regular season hits, and our DB's play the way they like and the additional help of lynch in the box, is really a scary thougth for opposing offenses

im praying our DT can keep progressig forward and at least be somewhat dependable and immovable object like
    ------
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
    ------

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information