Thread: Borderlands- 360/PS3//PC

Adopted Bronco:
    Drew Lock

Default Borderlands- 360/PS3//PC

Borderlands (BL) is a FPS with RPG elements developed by Gearbox Studios (Brothers in Arms) and published by 2K games.

On the planet Pandora, there is an ancient tale of The Vault, which is hidden somewhere on the planet. It is said to be left by an alien race and holds incredible riches and vast power to anyone who finds it. This legend has brought countless mercenaries, corporations, and hunters to the land in an effort to find it and has left the planet nearly a destroyed wasteland.

In BL, you take up the mantle of one of four hunters on a quest to find The Vault. You are led by some supernatural woman who buoys you on. The plot is not very serious and there is little urgency to your actions.

There are 4 different characters for you to play in the campaign, all who play vastly different with varying abilities. They have different characteristics and backgrounds, but it's just fodder. No 2 games will play alike.

This is a hunter's game. Everywhere there is money, items and weapons to be found. You will spend a lot of time in the menus, constantly changing items, comparing and equipping new weapons, upgrading abilities as you gain experience, etc. These are the RPG aspects of the game. If this is a problem and you can see that as a turnoff, avoid this game at all costs. It is a FPS, but it has many RPG elements from other games like Bioshock and to a lesser degree, Fallout 3.

The world of Pandora is huge for you to explore. You can find 30 items on one screen at any given time, from ammo, guns, grenades, money, health, shields, etc.

There is clearly an emphasis for multiplayer in BL, both online and local coop and other vs. modes. The single player campaign is nothing to sneeze at either, and can clock in at over 20 hours of playtime easy with all the side quests, which is rare with FPSs nowadays.

Most of your missions are seek and destroy, assassinations, recon, retrievals, etc.

There are loads of firearms. Loads. I mean tons. Pistols, revolvers, SMGs, shotguns, assault rifles, sniper rifles, grenade launchers... you name it. You don't even have to buy them, you'll find them soon enough. Some have cool elemental effects too, like fire. There is alien technology weapons to use as you get further in the game.

Your character is a breeze to control and you'll be running and gunning in no time. The enemy AI isn't too bright, they'll usually just charge at you unloading their guns along their way to death. The engine does a good job of holding a rock solid framerate with a lot of characters, creatures, gunfire and explosions going on at once.

The graphics are excellent. The world of Pandora is brought to you in a cell shaded style. This style may turn some off, but it adds a nice artistic element to all the characters and all the environs.

The sound is generally very good but the guns don't crack and boom like they should and I thought they were too soft.

Another minor complaint I have is the vehicle controls which are clunky.

BL is a complete package with both generous multiplayer and solo components. The story isn't serious and its filled with some funny moments and lighthearted humor. If the RPG elements isn't your thing, seriously avoid this game. If you can work with all the collecting, item hunting and menus in the game, you'll find your time on Pandora a very satisfying trip.

Rated M for Mature- Blood and gore, intense violence, strong language, mature humor
    Last edited by Shazam!; 10-26-2009 at 01:20 AM.
    "I may not be a mathematician, but I can count to a million." - Shannon Sharpe

2. The Following User High Fived Shazam! For This Post:

yeah- i played this game last week. I didnt like it. I got bored really quick. It started out cool, but then it was like go here do this, now go back to where you came and do this. Then go back and repair this, sell this man a grenade.......... I was like ok, this is boring. I keep doing this and kill a guy or two and kill like 100 of those dog things that can jump really far...

I did not like the game and i only played it for 10 minutes.
    The Plan at the moment:

Draft: Trade a 3rd and 6th this year to a team to move up and get a 2nd next year (this will happen).

Players I want:
    Jake Ferguson (Jake Butt) or Jelani Woods or Jeremy Ruckert or Cade Otten (owen daniels) at TE- All 4th rd or later.
    Troy Anderson LB 3rd/4th rd (yay Timmy!)
    Neil Farrell, JR DL- run stuffer- bye purcell

I like it. It's a fun game. Much better than the last 6 pieces of shit I've bought for my 360. It will tide me over until us lowly mexicans get our hands on the new Call of Duty.

Nice review Shazam, and I agree about the vehicles. They are clumsy as hell.

5. The Following User High Fived Slick For This Post:

Very fun game.
    Quote Originally Posted by King87 View Post
    All must hail NostraTimmy!
    Quote Originally Posted by chazoe60 View Post
    Nostratimmy was right again. All hail nostratimmy.
    Quote Originally Posted by MOtorboat View Post
    I’m the hobbit.

Adopted Bronco:
    Rod Smith

I actually thought the vehicle controls were pretty good, but I'm on the PC and I should admit I stink loudly on consoles. Loved the game, especially using a hunter with a one-shot sniper rifle that blows things up.

Once you finish the game, you can go through a second playthrough where you replay the game only everything is harder which is the first time I've seen that.

Adopted Bronco:
    Drew Lock

Once you finish the game, you can go through a second playthrough where you replay the game only everything is harder which is the first time I've seen that.
    Most games do that.
    "I may not be a mathematician, but I can count to a million." - Shannon Sharpe

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information