Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Broncos' Orton not concerned about Cutler's new deal

Adopted Bronco:
    Charley Johnson

Quote Originally Posted by SOCALORADO. View Post
    Orton is in the final year of his contract, but so is Elvis Dumervil, who leads the NFL with 10 sacks, as well as starting guards Ben Hamilton and Chris Kuper, tight end Tony Scheffler and Marshall.

Jeez, Bowlen and the FO has its work cut out for them!
    DEN absolutely HAS to get these guys re-signed!!!!
    ALL OF THEM!!!
    I also have heard rumors of re-working or extending champs contract, but jeez, maybe he could just take one for the team, and let it go so these guys all can get signed.
    Agreed 100%. If we have to let one go, Hamilton I guess, but all of the others need to be long term Broncos. They've earned their $, so pay 'em.
    “What fresh hell is this?”

"A man who picks a cat up by the tail learns something which he can learn in no other way." - Mark Twain

Adopted Bronco:
    D.Thomas....the next great broncos WR

Quote Originally Posted by frauschieze View Post
    But Bowlen did not say that the substantial raise would be from Denver. Things that go unsaid are sometimes just as important as the things that are said.
    oh come on now....thats just stirin' the pot.
    i doubt bowlen was speaking for other teams......he would'nt say boy he's playing well.....someone will want to pay him what he's worth

Adopted Bronco:

Broncos owner Pat Bowlen said Josh McDaniels is maturing into the head coach he expected him to be and that WR Brandon Marshall is playing himself into a “significant raise.”

“Brandon understands that he’s got a year left on his present deal, but if he keeps playing the way he is, he’s going to get a very significant raise — a much better contract,” Bowlen said Tuesday at the NFL Fall League Meeting. “That’s the way it goes, and Brandon has accepted that.”

i dont think bowlen was acting as marshalls agent...he was obviously talking about a re-negotiation of his current deal
    a raise is something an employer can give.....not a new employer.

so there is nothing to read between the lines here

4. The Following User High Fived T.K.O. For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Mike Leach

Quote Originally Posted by T.K.O. (team kyle orton) View Post
    Broncos owner Pat Bowlen said Josh McDaniels is maturing into the head coach he expected him to be and that WR Brandon Marshall is playing himself into a “significant raise.”

“Brandon understands that he’s got a year left on his present deal, but if he keeps playing the way he is, he’s going to get a very significant raise — a much better contract,” Bowlen said Tuesday at the NFL Fall League Meeting. “That’s the way it goes, and Brandon has accepted that.”

i dont think bowlen was acting as marshalls agent...he was obviously talking about a re-negotiation of his current deal
    You're making assumptions. If you take what Pat said at face value, it could just as easily mean Marshall will end up elsewhere. Marshall's contract, no matter who it's with, depends on how he plays this season.

Remember the rumor that Pat said he'd try to accommodate Marshall's request for a trade?......

I don't think Bowlen was saying Marshall wouldn't be here next year. But I can't take it to mean he will be either. The statement is perfectly ambiguous.

FWIW, I hope Marshall does stay with the Broncos.
    Quote Originally Posted by Benetto View Post
    Orton can't single left handedly ruin everything on O.
    We didn't lose the game; we just ran out of time. - Vince Lombardi

"I make mistakes, I am out of control and at times hard to handle. But if you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best."
    — Marilyn Monroe

Quote Originally Posted by pnbronco View Post
    dang it go drink some Fireball and find your own dang chicken....

6. The Following 2 Users High Fived frauschieze For This Post:

a raise is something an employer can give.....not a new employer.

so there is nothing to read between the lines here
    that explains it..

Adopted Bronco:

ok....but ....no.
    a raise is something an employer gives.

Adopted Bronco:
    Demaryius Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadnought View Post
    Agreed 100%. If we have to let one go, Hamilton I guess, but all of the others need to be long term Broncos. They've earned their $, so pay 'em.
    I don't think Wiegmann will being in Denver very long either.

Adopted Bronco:
    Mike Leach

ok....but ....no.
    a raise is something an employer gives.
    A raise in this case, as Bowlen clarified, means "a much better contract".

• If a new CBA is signed, Marshall will be a restricted free agent, and you can bet there will be all kinds of "raises" offered by other teams; raises the Broncos have the option , but not the obligation, to match.

Even if the CBA is not signed, the Broncos CAN negotiate a raise as part of a trade with another team. Or they can just trade him away, and let the other team negotiate the raise (which you can bet they will do, after trading to get him there; they will want him happy).

The Broncos can negotiate with Marshall and try to keep him here (regardless of CBA status).

OR, they could even decide to franchise or transition tag him after the end of the season.

All of these scenarios are possible given what Bowlen said. All of these scenarios would result in Marshall receiving a raise, likely a very significant one, especially if he plays well.

I honestly think the phrasing is a way for Bowlen to cover his ass. Maybe he has every intention of going for option 3 and keeping him here, but if he's ambiguous, then no matter what the ultimate game plan is, he's been completely honest.

And who knows what will happen now that we look like we could compete for the Lombardi? The possibility of winning the Super Bowl has changed more than a few players minds on money and contract issues.....
    Quote Originally Posted by Benetto View Post
    Orton can't single left handedly ruin everything on O.
    We didn't lose the game; we just ran out of time. - Vince Lombardi

"I make mistakes, I am out of control and at times hard to handle. But if you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best."
    — Marilyn Monroe

Quote Originally Posted by pnbronco View Post
    dang it go drink some Fireball and find your own dang chicken....

11. The Following User High Fived frauschieze For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Baron Browning, Jaleel McLaughlin

Quote Originally Posted by Jrwiz View Post
    hamilton is a liability against the bigger DL's he can mosey down the road unless he wants to be a backup OG and maybe center at a reduced discounted price.... we need more beef there..

we need to keep the rest unless they want the moon and if they do they become RFA and we get draft choices for them..
    hamilton's gone after this year, that should just be a given. . . no WAY we're going to shell out any kind of substantial money for a guy his age who doesn't fit the scheme, when we've got five younger and more talented players hitting free agency the same year. . . he doesn't play a premier position, good OGs are often found in rounds 3-5 of the draft, and we already have a potential replacement on the roster-- last year's 4th rounder, seth olsen. . .

with both of our guards potentially hitting free agency, and weigman's age, we're almost certainly going to be looking at a different interior OL next year. . . add in our struggles in converting short yardage situations, and i'd say there's a very good chance we'll be spending one of our top three picks on an interior lineman-- somebody like kris o'dowd or mike iupati, or possibly mike johnson from alabama, jon asamoah from illinois, or matt tennant of boston college. . . anybody who's seen mcdaniels' face on the sidelines when we get stuffed on 3rd-and-1 should understand that he's going to make it a priority. . .

i would say scheffler's also gone after the season, as much as it pains me-- we have graham, and we just spent a 2nd on quinn-- kuper is obviously a priority over hamilton, and i suppose we may as well call him 50/50 to come back. . . i would guess that marshall, dumervil and orton would be the top priorities, but we'll see. . . if mcdaniels really is the QB whisperer, which it does look like, then maybe he thinks he can mold brandstater into a guy that can do what orton's been doing. . . and maybe we do decide to not take the risk on marshall, although i myself suspect that we will if he can get through the season without any sort of major meltdown. . .

in any case, i think now would be a good time for people to just suck it up and accept that we're NOT going to be able to pay all of these guys short of some bigtime hometown discounts being accepted, which is pretty damn unlikely. . . i'll be happy if we can keep three out of the five big names (orton, marshall, doom, kupes and chef), realistically. . . and i think it's close to a foregone conclusion that we'll see the franchise tag applied to one of those guys next year, assuming that a new CBA is indeed signed-- if it's not, then we're homefree for another year. . . but if it is signed, it's probably gonna get a little ugly for us fans, because somebody ain't comin' back. . . it'll be interesting to see how the FO approaches it, and who gets top priority. . .
    “When we do find that guy, we’ve got to have the continuity on the offensive side to where we can train him and develop him and get him there. This is our fourth offense in probably three or four years. Quarterbacks need to be developed. You don’t find one ready-made. We got to have a solid system in place for when we do go after whatever guy it may be, a young guy or a trade or whatnot.”
    - John Elway

13. The Following 6 Users High Fived dogfish For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by jhildebrand View Post
    Orton says all the right things! I love that. It is clear it is genuine, too. Orton knows this is the absolutely best place for him to be and will work it out to be here.

Nice!
    That's why I'm sure a good deal for both could be made... IMO, if it goes on like that, Kyle will have a good contrat (but not a blockbuster like some other QB).

Broncos could save some money to invest on other players... So good deal for Broncos

Orton would have good money and also keep some players around to help him winning... He knows it's the best way for him to have a ring... He knows Denver is a great place for him (which couldn't be the case with other teams )...

IMO, it's a win-win situation... Pay this guy some good money, but not too much : don't kill salary cap !
    That would be the best deal for us fans
    I really like Kyle as our QB but also with the players we have around

Go Broncos
    Froggy's back !

Quote Originally Posted by dogfish View Post
    hamilton's gone after this year, that should just be a given. . . no WAY we're going to shell out any kind of substantial money for a guy his age who doesn't fit the scheme, when we've got five younger and more talented players hitting free agency the same year. . . he doesn't play a premier position, good OGs are often found in rounds 3-5 of the draft, and we already have a potential replacement on the roster-- last year's 4th rounder, seth olsen. . .

with both of our guards potentially hitting free agency, and weigman's age, we're almost certainly going to be looking at a different interior OL next year. . . add in our struggles in converting short yardage situations, and i'd say there's a very good chance we'll be spending one of our top three picks on an interior lineman-- somebody like kris o'dowd or mike iupati, or possibly mike johnson from alabama, jon asamoah from illinois, or matt tennant of boston college. . . anybody who's seen mcdaniels' face on the sidelines when we get stuffed on 3rd-and-1 should understand that he's going to make it a priority. . .

i would say scheffler's also gone after the season, as much as it pains me-- we have graham, and we just spent a 2nd on quinn-- kuper is obviously a priority over hamilton, and i suppose we may as well call him 50/50 to come back. . . i would guess that marshall, dumervil and orton would be the top priorities, but we'll see. . . if mcdaniels really is the QB whisperer, which it does look like, then maybe he thinks he can mold brandstater into a guy that can do what orton's been doing. . . and maybe we do decide to not take the risk on marshall, although i myself suspect that we will if he can get through the season without any sort of major meltdown. . .

in any case, i think now would be a good time for people to just suck it up and accept that we're NOT going to be able to pay all of these guys short of some bigtime hometown discounts being accepted, which is pretty damn unlikely. . . i'll be happy if we can keep three out of the five big names (orton, marshall, doom, kupes and chef), realistically. . . and i think it's close to a foregone conclusion that we'll see the franchise tag applied to one of those guys next year, assuming that a new CBA is indeed signed-- if it's not, then we're homefree for another year. . . but if it is signed, it's probably gonna get a little ugly for us fans, because somebody ain't comin' back. . . it'll be interesting to see how the FO approaches it, and who gets top priority. . .
    Shut up. JUST SHUT UP!!!!!
    WE WILL FIND THE $$$$ AND WE WILL SIGN THEM AND THEN WE WILL WE
    WILL, WE.....we.......i lost my thought. nevermind.

Quote Originally Posted by dogfish View Post

Hows this?
    1. C Kristofer O'Dowd*, USC
    Height: 6-5. Weight: 298.
    Projected 40 Time: 5.07.
    Projected Round (2010): Top 25 Pick.
    2/11/09: No one should blame Kris O'Dowd if he comes out early; he'd be the top center prospect in the 2010 NFL Draft. He was an All-Pac 10 first-teamer as a sophomore.
    2. NT Boo Robinson, Wake Forest
    Height: 6-2. Weight: 326.
    Projected 40 Time: 5.22.
    Projected Round (2010): 2-3.
    2/14/09: A monstrous nose tackle who compiled six TFL and five sacks. Somehow just an All-ACC honorable mention.
    3. DE C.J. Wilson, East Carolina
    Height: 6-4. Weight: 271.
    Projected 40 Time: 4.78.
    Projected Round (2010): 3.
    2/12/09: A monstrous defensive end who was voted to the All-Conference USA First Team. C.J. Wilson garnered 18.5 TFL and 10.5 sacks as a junior.
    4 LB Antonio Coleman, Auburn
    Height: 6-2. Weight: 250.
    Projected 40 Time: 4.74.
    Projected Round (2010): 4.
    2/12/09: A 3-4 linebacker at the next level, Antonio Coleman had 46 tackles, 10.5 TFL and six sacks in 2008.
    5.TE Aaron Hernandez*, Florida
    Height: 6-3. Weight: 250.
    Projected 40 Time: 4.56.
    Projected Round (2010): 5-6.
    2/8/09: Aaron Hernandez finished his sophomore campaign with 34 receptions, 381 yards and five touchdowns. He'll be the go-to tight end next year, and may choose to declare with Tim Tebow.
    6 OT Kyle Calloway, Iowa
    Height: 6-7. Weight: 315.
    Projected 40 Time: 5.22.
    Projected Round (2010): 6.
    2/9/09: A right tackle at the next level, Kyle Calloway as an All-Big Ten second-teamer.
    7 OG Shelley Smith, Colorado State
    Height: 6-4. Weight: 295.
    Projected 40 Time: 5.08.
    Projected Round (2009): 7.
    2/10/09: Isn't Shelley Smith a female sideline reporter for ESPN? At any rate, this Shelley Smith was an All-Mountain West second-teamer. He didn't surrender a sack or get whistled for a single penalty all year.

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information