Thread: College Basketball 2008

Default College Basketball 2008

Here we go.
    2012: The Year that Mo Got Laid

North Carolina G Frasor done for season with torn ligament

Dec. 28, 2007
    CBSSports.com wire reports

Share this page.

CHAPEL HILL, N.C. -- North Carolina junior Bobby Frasor tore a ligament in his left knee and will need surgery, keeping him sidelined for the rest of the season.

Frasor tore his anterior cruciate ligament in the top-ranked Tar Heels' win over Nevada on Thursday night. The school said tests performed Friday morning found no additional damage to the knee.

The injury robs North Carolina (12-0) of a versatile veteran who can play either guard position. Coach Roy Williams said Frasor will need surgery, which is expected to be performed in the coming weeks.

Frasor stole the ball twice in the backcourt shortly before the injury in the second half, helping him earn the team's award for top defensive player for the fifth time this season.

He averaged 3.0 points before the injury.
    AP NEWS
    The Associated Press News Service

Default Clark Kellog's "Elite" Teams

Georgetown: Despite not looking very good in the last 25 minutes against Memphis, this team has some championship ingredients to work with: Final Four experience. Roy Hibbert, Jonathan Wallace, Jesse Sapp and Dajuan Summers all started on last year's team. And Ewing Jr., Rivers, and Macklin played significant minutes. Experienced and well-rounded guards in Wallace and Sapp. And those two are getting help from freshmen Austin Freeman and Chris Wright. A proven big man in Hibbert who is much better than he played last week. And Summers is a versatile forward who causes matchup problems for most teams. This team is solid if not spectacular on both ends of the floor. Execution and perimeter shooting are team strengths and there is enough athleticism and depth to compete with other elite teams. The rebounding should be better for a team with its size, and I think the offensive output can improve as well. Don't be too quick to dismiss Georgetown after a loss on the road to an elite team.

Kansas: The Jayhawks have terrific perimeter players in Mario Chalmers, Sherron Collins, Russell Robinson and Brandon Rush. All can get their own shot and create for teammates. They also are solid defenders. I think the experience, and versatility of this group is the strength of this team. Up front, Darrell Arthur, Darnell Jackson, Sasha Kaun and Cole Aldrich are formidable. Arthur is one of the premiere inside players in the Big 12, and Jackson produces points, rebounds and defense at a high rate, too. Kaun has improved markedly as a finisher inside. Five players average double figures, and a very solid eight-man rotation gives Bill Self the ability to have his team sustain offensive and defensive pressure for 40 minutes.

Memphis: The Tigers are an impressive looking team. Talented, deep, fast, versatile, well coached and capable of Saran Wrap defense when focused. The ball pressure and intensity on defense in the second half against Georgetown led to the double digit win. Points can come in bunches and from a lot of different players. Chris Douglas Roberts is a lethal go-to guy, and Robert Dozier is a talented scorer as well. Freshman point guard Derrick Rose is a unique combination of size, skill and speed. A number of big guys led by Joey Dorsey supply rebounding and shot-blocking. This team is most effective when playing an up-tempo game, because that allows for maximum use of its depth and athleticism. But I think this team can handle a slow-paced game, too. Its defense will always give it a chance for a game-changing spurt. The Tigers have the spurtability that could lead them to San Antonio.

North Carolina: There don't appear to be any glaring weaknesses with the Tar Heels. There is plenty of size and athleticism up front and strong perimeter play, too. Roy Williams has a very solid nine-player rotation. North Carolina does a lot of things well, but what it does best is play fast break basketball. After defensive stops, turnovers, or even made baskets, very few teams can match how quickly and how often the Tar Heels get good shots. Four players average double figures led by All-American Tyler Hansbrough. Wayne Ellington, Danny Green and Ty Lawson are the other double-figure scorers. Lawson runs the show superbly and is an improved scorer. It appears that the perimeter defense has improved and that the turnovers are down from last season. And with solid rebounding, that means the fast break can sizzle, which is a joy to watch. If forced into a half-court game, the presence of Hansbrough, along with Deon Thompson and Alex Stepheson, can cause trouble for opponents. Along with Memphis, they look to be the most Final Four ready if April were now.

UCLA: With key players back from teams that have played in the past two Final Fours and the addition of Kevin Love, the Bruins are a team that could win it all. Love provides a go-to presence inside with his scoring and passing that will earn his team free throws and open shots late in games. All-American point guard Darren Collison rounding into top form after missing six games with a knee injury is significant heading into conference play. His speed and tenacity are major weapons on offense and defense. I think this team is potentially better and more balanced offensively than Ben Howland's past two teams. With Love inside, Josh Shipp and Luc Richard Mbah a Moute appearing healthy and Russell Westbrook in the starting lineup, I expect UCLA will be able to score a little easier than in the past. That bodes well looking ahead because the defense looks to be as tough and stingy as ever. The bench could use some fortifying, but it shouldn't have to do much.

Others flirting with elite status:

Duke: Not much beef inside, but plenty of "D" and 3s.

Michigan State: The Spartans are deep and talented but rely on three very good freshmen and need a third double-figure scorer.

Pittsburgh: Can Dejuan Blair handle the load in the paint all season? How will the loss of Mike Cook affect the Panthers?

Washington State: Experienced, efficient and excellent on defense. Can the Cougars score easily enough?

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

Indiana is the dark horse this year. Still loving that young team with the freshmen.
    BOOM GOES THE DYNAMITE

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

Indiana goes to 11-1 and ready to open up Big 10 play. Gordon and White were pretty impressive last night.

GO HOOSIERS!!!!!
    BOOM GOES THE DYNAMITE

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

Wow, Pitt got blasted by Dayton. Didn't see that score till this morning.
    *The statements above are my opinions, unless they are links, because then they are links, which wouldn't make them my opinions, and I suppose stats aren't necessarily opinion, but they are certainly presented to support an opinion. Proceed accordingly.

Quote Originally Posted by Buff View Post
    What is this, amateur hour? It's TNF against the Jets and you didn't think you'd need extra booze?

Boy that UNC team looks good... where are they ranked?

Quote Originally Posted by BOSSHOGG30 View Post
    Boy that UNC team looks good... where are they ranked?
    Must be easy being a front runner.

Quote Originally Posted by cswil View Post
    Must be easy being a front runner.
    Yeah, life isn't too bad... did I mention my new favorite teams... Celtics and Patriots.

Adopted Bronco:
    Mister Cobble

My avvy will tell you all about my favorite player and team.

We have been struggling this season though.

We did have a nice win over Mizzou the other day though.

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

Indiana goes 1-0, 12-1 beating Iowa in their Big 10 opener!! Gordon scores 25 leading the Hoosiers. Beware of Indiana this year!!!!
    BOOM GOES THE DYNAMITE

Beasley performed badly against Xavier in borrowed shoes
    By HOWARD RICHMAN
    The Kansas City Star

Maybe the size 17s will be auctioned for charity or go on e-Bay. But one place they probably won’t end up is in Michael Beasley’s closet.

“I don’t know what we’ll do with the shoes,” Kansas State men’s basketball director of operations Andy Assaley said Thursday. “Burn them. Destroy them. Who knows?”

Beasley, the freshman standout at K-State, had perhaps the most unproductive game of his life wearing “the shoes” Monday in the Wildcats’ 103-77 loss against Xavier in Cincinnati. Beasley can’t recall a game, at any level, in which he recorded only one basket. And that didn’t occur until just 35 seconds remained.

“The shoes don’t make the man. The man makes the shoes,” said Beasley, who finished with five points..

Now, about those shoes …

Beasley ripped his regular pair Sunday at practice in Cincinnati while making a cut on the court, according to Assaley.

In need of size 17s (Cincinnati retailers didn’t have any when Assaley called them), he phoned Nike, but nobody could be reached. The next call had a Bob Huggins connection. Former University of Cincinnati basketball director of operations Corey Brinn worked under Huggins there before Huggins came to K-State.

He had a pair. But it wasn’t that simple. Assaley first contacted K-State assistant athletic director of compliance David Flores to make certain the Wildcats followed the rules in acquiring the shoes.

“We had to buy the shoes,” said Assaley, noting a price of $115.

There was one problem, however. They had the Cincinnati logo and were trimmed in black and red, the Bearcats’ colors. Beasley placed tape over the logo.

The shoes formerly belonged to Asrangue Souleymane, who played on Huggins’ last team at Cincinnati in 2004-05. Souleymane, like Beasley, wore No. 30.

Souleymane scored four points the entire season.

“Mike put up Souleymane numbers,” Assaley said.

Beasley, who’ll be in more familiar shoes Monday when the Wildcats play Savannah State, said: “I just couldn’t get into it (the game). After the first two calls (he got called for charging his first possession and whistled for traveling on the next), it was pretty much downhill from there. But it wasn’t because of the shoes.”

To reach Howard Richman, K-State reporter for The Star, call 816-234-4701 or send e-mail to hrichman@kcstar.com

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

NCAA Violation Charges will be filed tomorrow....
    *The statements above are my opinions, unless they are links, because then they are links, which wouldn't make them my opinions, and I suppose stats aren't necessarily opinion, but they are certainly presented to support an opinion. Proceed accordingly.

What is this, amateur hour? It's TNF against the Jets and you didn't think you'd need extra booze?

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

KU goes on the road and kicks the crap out of Boston College...pretty impressive win if you ask me.

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

Quote Originally Posted by MissouriBronc View Post
    KU goes on the road and kicks the crap out of Boston College...pretty impressive win if you ask me.
    As long as KU doesn't play a mid-major, they are ok.
    BOOM GOES THE DYNAMITE

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information