Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Would Elway get his ass slapped by Mahomes?

Default Would Elway get his ass slapped by Mahomes?

I came up with this question while thinking of Lock and Elway's (and Old NFL's) obsession with himself as an archetype for the position. Elway had a horrible completion percentage and would probably not have made it past his second SB loss to reach the Big Wins if he were to be drafted in today's league. His win rate is a very real reason to consider him among the best to ever play the game as well as to reason that he would survive long enough today to get those 2 rings...but! He played for Bowlen. Would that win percentage happen without Bowlen, or without Elway?

Egg or Chicken query but back to my point: If Elway is really in huge, sweaty, dog-man, QB love with Drew Lock, as he has been in love with countless other tall, dark, and just like him QBs before Lock, and drafts him...and Lock becomes the Elway/ Frankenstein golem he believes will recreate his experience in the NFL, isn't Lock just another cardboard cutout that will get his ass whooped by Mahomes?

Year after year? Until Elway looses his job and his replacement brings the Broncos into the 21rst century and drafts the next Mahomes/ Murray/ whomever, that is the reality and beating heart of the future of the league?

So, by derivative can't we also question that if Elway is so masturbatory in choosing doppelgangers to live vicariously through, wouldn't he also get his ass handed to him by Mahomes if he had to play the wunderkind twice a year in today's AFC West?

P.S. I'm all in on Elway bucking the trend and going old school with Fangio. I was all about finding the next McVay but was quickly on board once I heard The Godfather speak and read his resume. Then Bellidick won the SB using Fangio's formulas for beating the Rams and I was in love! Then, Elway even hired a potential bright mind of the Shanahan school of thought and I was riding high. Then..Elway made a deal for a rotten and shriveled version of himself in Flacco and I can't stop asking why Elway is such a broken record?

(Palm in fist)

Of course, if he drafts our franchise QB this year, I will pretend to have known all along what his game was and we will have just lost 7 mil in a year where we weren't going to win the SB anyway. But still, the question of him being Mahome's bitch or pimp in the modern NFL begs a ridiculous and smack-filled examination, true?
    Last edited by Ground Control; 02-15-2019 at 08:39 PM.

Adopted Bronco:
    Ray Finkel

Em nah.

Mahomes is cute and all but its been only one year so im not ready to crown him anything just yet. Secondly, the SB featured two prototypical QB's and pretty much has for quite a long time so until that really changes i dont see anything wrong with John's philosophy in terms of what he wants in a QB. Most hybrid QB's dont even make it at the NFL level and the ones that do have some success are still traditional passers first, runners second.

When I first read this, I thought Mahomes was sexually assaulting Elway.

His body his choice! Dammit!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaded View Post
    Y’all know I’m an OL Groupie but I think Jeudy is going to be worth missing out on a T, knock on wood.

4. The Following 6 Users High Fived Poet For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Northman View Post
    Em nah.

Mahomes is cute and all but its been only one year so i'm not ready to crown him anything just yet. Secondly, the SB featured two prototypical QB's and pretty much has for quite a long time so until that really changes I don't see anything wrong with John's philosophy in terms of what he wants in a QB. Most hybrid QB's dont even make it at the NFL level and the ones that do have some success are still traditional passers first, runners second.
    Mahomes is cute but him clowning Von with a left handed pass is all too real. Because he continuously follows it up with crazy pass after crazy pass. Not just gimmick passes that become NFL legend but passes he makes seem ordinary but are antithetical to the NFL normality. Continuously, while being 'chased' by the best in the business. Those passes are more than legerdemain, his escapability is more than 'hybrid'. He's more than an equal to any QB, whether they be 'mobile' or 'pocket'. Anyone that defines him in such simplistic terms is definitely not an apposing HC or DC. If they are (or were), they got beat. That is all.

I'm not crowning him at all either, because a crown is all about pomp and stance. A crown is about pedigree and establishment. In this case, I am arguing against such ineffable measures of recognition. I'm saying that he is truly different and we haven't seen anything like him before. He is maybe the perfect NFL QB and even if he fails, he is still the new NFL QB. His abilities aren't just about mobility, since mobility is just another tool in his bag of tricks. A team can't pattern or adjust to him because he is not a gimmick or a slight spin on a scheme. He just does shit. Like Gronk is a man among men when it comes to physicality, Mahomes is a man among men when it comes to making plays. He's not a god and he gets beat. But how many times will he get beat out of 10?

I will agree that he comes out of a new movement of presumed 'hybrid' QBs but he is now the measure of that movement and QBs like Jackson are outliers. Hybrid will get lost in the mix as a term to be used though, as it becomes more and more just 'the modern QB'. It will be what recruiters use to pretend to be smart when they are simply opening their eyes to what is in front of them.

You are right though and it is worth noting the last SB in my response: Of the two 'prototypical' NFL QB's, one has had his costume ripped from him and was revealed to be a puppet of small value when his strings are cut (and he had to think for himself in the last 15 seconds before each play). The other is the GOAT. And the team that won the SB was coached by the GOAT. I'm NOT a Patriots fan, just a realist.

So, to embrace your points: Maybe it's not so much that we have to look forward to a league of freaks that are outliers but more to a league of extremely talented QBs that break the mold and are no longer defined by size, predictability, or the expectations of the 'Old NFL'...as well as QBs that are tall and strong, and can intelligently pick apart a defense with their talents, like Brady and such. That would be cool and probably what is going to happen.

Either way, Lock is stupid, just like Goff. Stupidity and rigidity is being flayed from the image of what is expected of the modern QB, if nothing else, I hope. Elway was often a clown and a loser as a QB but he was never stupid. And he was a dog and a killer throughout it all. If we draft his clone, we should draft Haskins. Yep, he's black which may be an issue to Elway but he really is the new and improved Elway (sans the 56% completion percentage). Hopefully, you have seen past Mahomes as being some sort of 'runner' QB. That's like calling Theramin a DJ. He's a passer while running. He's a passer while standing still. He's a passer while sitting on the toilet and allowing the majority of today's QBs to wipe his ass. He may be proven to be a flash in the pan but for now, the query still stands: How would the best Elway stand up to the best Mahomes on teams equally matched and equally coached? Not clone teams but teams of equal but differing talents...solely for the purpose of embracing the comparison.

P.S. I'm not a Mahomes acolyte, just a realist. As with the Pats. And I f'ing love Fangio and the old school approach that he brings to the Broncos. That is what won the SB and proves we have our own Belidick, finally. I'm just saying that we will be seeing more QBs that break the mold than those that are moldy. We can still love the hell out of mold, like aged cheese, but we (Denver in particular) can't be held down by mindless pursuit of pomp and pedigree. Draft/ sign the best available talent, true? We should apply the same very rational view towards QBs that we do towards the rest of the positions. Currently, QBs stand in a weird sort of twilight zone that no one knows how to define them and it seems like a miracle that a team picks the right guy. The future will see us seeing talent for talent and will care less about archetypes for the sake of archetypes.

Anyway, what do you think?
    Last edited by Ground Control; 02-15-2019 at 10:28 PM.

Adopted Bronco:
    DT

Elway in today's pass happy offensive rule tilted league would destroy.

7. The Following 4 Users High Fived Davii For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Demaryius Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by King87 View Post

Mahomes definitely has a queer vibe. The headband and his mannerisms are very "if he's not gay he's seen one up close". He also walks like someone whose had his ass abused.

Not there's anything wrong with that

9. The Following 2 Users High Fived chazoe60 For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Davii View Post
    His accuracy improved when he had a decent team around him. Yeah, I really worry about Elway in a league where you can throw people open because the hits are softer, there's less physical abuse on QB's, TE's are basically just bigger WR's, and offenses are more updated than ever before. I'm sure the mobile, rocket armed, strong, athletic, hard-working QB in Elway would struggle.
    Y’all know I’m an OL Groupie but I think Jeudy is going to be worth missing out on a T, knock on wood.

11. The Following User High Fived Poet For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by chazoe60 View Post
    Mahomes definitely has a queer vibe. The headband and his mannerisms are very "if he's not gay he's seen one up close". He also walks like someone whose had his ass abused.

Mahomes, Brady. Maybe like dick makes you a good QB?

13. The Following 2 Users High Fived Poet For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    DT

His accuracy improved when he had a decent team around him. Yeah, I really worry about Elway in a league where you can throw people open because the hits are softer, there's less physical abuse on QB's, TE's are basically just bigger WR's, and offenses are more updated than ever before. I'm sure the mobile, rocket armed, strong, athletic, hard-working QB in Elway would struggle.
    Lol. Yeah, he'd struggle to count all the money in his bank account.

15. The Following 2 Users High Fived Davii For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Ray Finkel

John probably would have broken many records in today's league.

Heh, props.

18. The Following User High Fived Ground Control For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Demaryius Thomas

Mahomes, Brady. Maybe like dick makes you a good QB?
    If it meant the Broncos were winning games I wouldn't care if Liberace or Slim were playing QB.

20. The Following 5 Users High Fived chazoe60 For This Post:

Specifically Elway vs Mahomes? 10 out of 10, all other factors being equal and why?

If it meant the Broncos were winning games I wouldn't care if Liberace or Slim were playing QB.
    Exactly.

Adopted Bronco:
    Mister Cobble

You seem to know a lot about homos.

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information