Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Reds 08 Thread

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

The Reds didn’t sign any free agents pitchers today. But neither did anyone else in baseball.

Things have slowed down considerably on the free agent market.

Reds general manager Wayne Krivsky remains hopeful that the Reds will be able to add a veteran arm to the rotation.

“Yeah, I am,” he said. “We’ll see. We’re still having conversations with a lot of people. It’s the same as it’s been.”

Krivsky will not name names. But it’s believed that the Reds have been in contact with right-hander Josh Fogg.

“I’m not going to confirm that,” Krivsky said.

Fogg went 10-9 with a 4.94 ERA last year with the Colorado Rockies. It was the fifth time in six years that he reached double figures in wins.

He has been reliable in that he has averaged 30 starts over the last six years. But he has never pitched over 200 innings in a season.

Fogg, 31, was very good for the Rockies down the stretch in their pennant drive. He went 3-0 with a 3.25 ERA in five September starts. He also won a game in the NLCS.

Fogg made $3.625 million last season.

Fogg is one in a long list of second-tier free agents still available: Kris Benson, Jon Lieber, Bartolo Colon, Freddy Garcia, Livan Hernandez and Brett Tomko among others.

The Reds have Aaron Harang, Bronson Arroyo and Matt Belisle penciled into the top three spots in the rotation.

The other two spots will be determined by competition among Homer Bailey, Edinson Volquez, Johnny Cueto and Matt Maloney.
    BOOM GOES THE DYNAMITE

Adopted Bronco:
    Kay Adams

Niner, what's your take on Pete Rose? Should he get in the HOF?

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

Quote Originally Posted by slim View Post
    Niner, what's your take on Pete Rose? Should he get in the HOF?
    I'm biased, but of course I do. What he accomplished was truly amazing and he played the game like it should be played. Yeah, he gambled, BFD. He should get in for his accomplishments.
    BOOM GOES THE DYNAMITE

Adopted Bronco:
    Kay Adams

Quote Originally Posted by Bronco9798 View Post
    I'm biased, but of course I do. What he accomplished was truly amazing and he played the game like it should be played. Yeah, he gambled, BFD. He should get in for his accomplishments.
    That's cool. I don't really have an opinion one way or the other. I just like to hear what people think about it.

Ricky Guest

If everyone played the game with the same enthusiasm as Rose (Charlie Hustle), then I say let them all gamble.

BIG time reds fan, since back in the early 70's when I first got involved in the sport.

I miss the ol' days of the BRM.

And I'm tired of them thinking/acting like they're a stepping stone for players.

I was pissed off when they lost paul to the Yankees. They'll never become a top echelon team if they're just going to keep bringing in 1-2yr players. *gee, sound like another team/sport?*

If they could part with Jr for a pitcher and/or Player, that'd be great. And by Player, I mean someone that can consistantly get on base, steal, and score.

Will they forever lead the majors in SO's? ugh!
    Bitter Clinger. Deal with it.

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

Quote Originally Posted by rcsodak View Post
    BIG time reds fan, since back in the early 70's when I first got involved in the sport.

I miss the ol' days of the BRM.

And I'm tired of them thinking/acting like they're a stepping stone for players.

I was pissed off when they lost paul to the Yankees. They'll never become a top echelon team if they're just going to keep bringing in 1-2yr players. *gee, sound like another team/sport?*

If they could part with Jr for a pitcher and/or Player, that'd be great. And by Player, I mean someone that can consistantly get on base, steal, and score.

Will they forever lead the majors in SO's? ugh!
    I've been a Reds since 1972!!!
    BOOM GOES THE DYNAMITE

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

The Reds and their two arbitration-eligible players, second baseman Brandon Phillips and pitcher Matt Belisle, exchanged numbers Friday.

Phillips filed for $4.2 million; the Reds countered at $2.7 million.

Belisle filed for $1.6 million; the Reds countered at $1 million.

“This is just the day on the baseball calendar that you have to submit a number,” Reds general manager Wayne Krivsky said. “It doesn’t mean you’re going to a hearing. That would be a last resort.”

The Reds haven’t gone to an arbitration hearing since 2004 when the club beat Chris Reitsma.

Krivsky said the Reds have had talks with both Phillips and Belisle. Phillips would seem like an ideal player to sign to a multi-year deal. He’s coming off a season in which he hit .288 with 30 home runs, 94 RBI and 32 steals.

“We’ve keeping our options open,” Krivsky said. “It all comes down to whether the dollars and years make sense.”

Not matter what happens, Phillips and Belisle will both get huge raises. Phillips made $407,000 last year; Belisle $390,000.

Elsewhere, the Reds picked up Drew Anderson, a left-handed hitting outfielder, off waivers from Milwaukee Brewers. Anderson, 26, hit .291 with five home runs, 47 RBI and 17 steals last season at Double-A and Triple-A.

That puts the 40-man roster at 40.

“He can run,” Krivsky said. “He can play center and all the outfield positions. Our scouts like him, so we added him.”

The Reds already have a Drew Anderson in their system. The other Drew Anderson is an infielder.

“They could be on the same roster,” Krivsky said.
    BOOM GOES THE DYNAMITE

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

The Reds have agreed to a contract with left-hander Jeremy Affeldt, pending a physical.

Affeldt is expected to come to Cincinnati Tuesday or Wednesday for the physical. General manager Wayne Krivsky would not confirm the deal.

"I have nothing to say," Krivsky said. "We'll announce something when we have it."
    ADVERTISEMENT

That is Krivsky's usual policy. Foxsports.com reported deal is for one year and $3 million.

Affeldt, 28, was 4-3 with a 3.51 ERA with the Colorado Rockies last season. He was used exclusively in relief, but 42 of his 286 major-league appearances are as a starter. He made nine starts in 2006 for Kansas City.

• Affeldt's career stats, bio

The Reds' most glaring weakness is the lack of veteran starters. They also do not have a left-hander in the projected Opening Day rotation.

So if the Reds were to sign a left-hander like Affeldt, would they use him as a starter?

"I can't talk about that," Krivsky said. "I'm not going to answer hypothetical questions. Until it's reality, I can't talk about it."

Affeldt had his most successful year last year. He allowed only 47 hits and three home runs in 59 innings. He walked 33 and struck out 46.

He throws up to 93 mph and has a plus curveball.

Affeldt was actually better against right-handers last season, limiting them to a .211 average. Righties hit .250.

The Reds have three spots in the rotation set in Aaron Harang, Bronson Arroyo and Matt Belisle.

The plan has been for Homer Bailey, Edinson Volquez, Johnny Cueto and Matt Maloney to compete for the last two spots.

Of those seven pitchers, only Maloney is left-handed. And he's never pitched in the big leagues.
    BOOM GOES THE DYNAMITE

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

The Reds confirmed today what has been expected all along: Left-hander Jeremy Affeldt will compete for a spot in the starting rotation.

"He has a history as a starter in his career," general manager Wayne Krivsky said Tuesday.

"He signed with the Royals as a starter. He's versatile. He's done both. The idea coming over here is to compete for a spot in our rotation. We're excited about having him here. Our scouts liked his stuff for a long time. To add someone like him at this point on the calendar . . . we're very, very pleased."
    ADVERTISEMENT

The one-year, $3 million deal was done quickly after the Reds approached Affeldt about starting.

"That was key," Krivsky said. "He was very excited about the deal. When we heard that, now we're excited about the deal."

Affeldt had other offers.

"This is a fun opportunity," he said.

The Reds designated outfielder Jeff Fiorentino for assignment to make room for Affeldt on the 40-man roster.
    BOOM GOES THE DYNAMITE

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

Quote Originally Posted by Bronco9798 View Post
    The Reds confirmed today what has been expected all along: Left-hander Jeremy Affeldt will compete for a spot in the starting rotation.

"He has a history as a starter in his career," general manager Wayne Krivsky said Tuesday.

"He signed with the Royals as a starter. He's versatile. He's done both. The idea coming over here is to compete for a spot in our rotation. We're excited about having him here. Our scouts liked his stuff for a long time. To add someone like him at this point on the calendar . . . we're very, very pleased."
    ADVERTISEMENT

The one-year, $3 million deal was done quickly after the Reds approached Affeldt about starting.

"That was key," Krivsky said. "He was very excited about the deal. When we heard that, now we're excited about the deal."

Affeldt had other offers.

"This is a fun opportunity," he said.

The Reds designated outfielder Jeff Fiorentino for assignment to make room for Affeldt on the 40-man roster.
    Good luck with that...
    *The statements above are my opinions, unless they are links, because then they are links, which wouldn't make them my opinions, and I suppose stats aren't necessarily opinion, but they are certainly presented to support an opinion. Proceed accordingly.

Quote Originally Posted by Buff View Post
    What is this, amateur hour? It's TNF against the Jets and you didn't think you'd need extra booze?

Ricky Guest

A good lefty is needed. Hope this works.

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

Quote Originally Posted by Ricky View Post
    A good lefty is needed. Hope this works.
    "Good" is kind of the operative word there, isn't it...
    *The statements above are my opinions, unless they are links, because then they are links, which wouldn't make them my opinions, and I suppose stats aren't necessarily opinion, but they are certainly presented to support an opinion. Proceed accordingly.

Quote Originally Posted by Buff View Post
    What is this, amateur hour? It's TNF against the Jets and you didn't think you'd need extra booze?

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

Quote Originally Posted by MissouriBronc View Post
    Good luck with that...
    Can't go to Wal-Mart and buy pitchers. Gotta do what you gotta do.
    BOOM GOES THE DYNAMITE

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

The one question every Reds fans is asking is this: Will the team be competitive in 2008?

The answer will start revealing itself as the team goes through spring training.

Here's what to look for over the next six weeks.

You'll know it's a good spring training if ...

… Jeremy Affeldt has hitters swinging and missing his change-up. If Affeldt can re-master the changeup, he’ll likely be in the rotation. Last year with Colorado, he pitched exclusively out of the bullpen and relied on his two best pitches – fastball and curve. Two pitches are not enough for a starter. Affeldt making the rotation does two things for the Reds: Gives them a lefty and lessens the pressure on the young pitchers.

… Ryan Freel runs like Ryan Freel. Freel is coming off knee surgery – the second surgery on his right knee. Freel’s game largely depends on speed. He has to show he still has that speed to be effective. If he does, he’s a good bet to win the center field job. He could also be a nice a chip in the trade package if the Reds go with someone else in center.

… Jay Bruce plays so well that the Reds are forced to keep him on the Opening Day roster. Bruce is 20, so there’s no rush with him. But if he plays his way into the Reds’ plans, it’s a good thing. It gets the fans excited and youthful enthusiasm goes a long way in a long season. How many of the 46 doubles and eight triples Bruce hit in the minors last year would make it out of Great American Small Park.

… Homer Bailey and Edinson Volquez dominate. One of the two will be in the rotation. Both could be if Affeldt doesn’t make it. Both Bailey and Volquez have the stuff to be dominant. It’s a matter of putting it together.

… Bill Bray has physical problems like he had last year. Bray’s 2007 was a lost year because he took a ball off his finger during a pitchers’ fielding practice. The sore finger led to a sore shoulder. Bray’s stuff is good enough to be the left-handed setup guy. That goes a long way toward solidifying the bullpen.

… Ken Griffey Jr. shows lingering effects of the groin injury that ended his season last year. Griffey hit one home run and drove in nine in April last year. The slow start could be attributed to missing so much time in the spring. He hit 10 home runs and drove in 22 runs in May.

… No one wins the center field job outright. If Ryan Freel’s knee is still hurting and Jay Bruce doesn’t hit, Norris Hopper’s going to win the job by default. Hopper is a nice player. But you just don’t want to hand a key position to a player with so little big league experience.

… The players don’t buy into Dusty Baker’s way of doing things. This will be hard to measure during the spring. But it will be easy to see once the club starts playing games for real. Given Baker’s long tenure as big league manager, it’s unlikely to happen.
    BOOM GOES THE DYNAMITE

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information