Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 14 ... LastLast

Thread: Town Hall Discussion: Mile High Salute Trial Period Coming to an End - Input Needed

Ricky Guest

As a mod on the Freak, I saw first hand how the points get to be too much of an ego massager (i.e. freakbucks). I think both the salute and the high five can co-exist and not be a problem if the points are not tracked.

I am not particularly fond of it.

I was strongly against the Contributor Point system on B-mania and actively asked individuals to not give me CP there. I have not been fond of this "Mile High Salute" system since it was initiated. There may be no "rewards" for them as on B-mania. But since it is a public display of individuals supporting or not supporting a post. Cliques may very well arise.

Friends may very well just give High Fives to their friends and such. I have never been fond of public rewards nor ridicules. I do not like flaunting my successes nor my failures to other individuals and consider it to be rude.

Also, in this thread, I saw that you said you can have it turned off? Do you mean moderators can have it turned off or individual posters? Like if "such and such" doesn't like the system can he turn it to anonymous or whatever.

Think the salute is a must...a way to share a 'right-on' with some folks...

Don't really care if it's 'public' or not...

Don't really care about rep and points...

JMO

Adopted Bronco:
    Kay Adams

I like it a lot. Just an easy way of agreeing with someone or throwing down a LOL. I don't really care about the rep points. I could take 'em or leave 'em.

Quote Originally Posted by Cleveland Rocks View Post
    Also, in this thread, I saw that you said you can have it turned off? Do you mean moderators can have it turned off or individual posters? Like if "such and such" doesn't like the system can he turn it to anonymous or whatever.
    I have to fully test this, but I believe I can turn it off (both in terms of giving and receiving) for individual users. However, I think those users will see other posts that have been High Fived, they will simply not see a button to High Five a post, and nobody will be able to High Five a post that user has made.

Quote Originally Posted by tnedator View Post
    I have to fully test this, but I believe I can turn it off (both in terms of giving and receiving) for individual users. However, I think those users will see other posts that have been High Fived, they will simply not see a button to High Five a post, and nobody will be able to High Five a post that user has made.
    Appreciate the work and effort, Tne...thx.

Adopted Bronco:
    Baron Browning, Jaleel McLaughlin

Quote Originally Posted by tnedator View Post
    Ok, in order to facilitate good discussion, I have enabled the High 5 system in a single forum/thread, which is here: http://www.broncosforums.com/forums/...ead.php?t=7296

The system will be active as long as this discussion is active and then will be disabled pending the advisory board deciding how we will proceed.

One thing to consider when looking at the demo, is that as we did with our Mile High Salute, we have the option of tracking how many High 5's have been received, or to remove all tracking, and only show the individual High 5's below a given post (see the demo link above if you don't understand what I mean).

The reason it is important to seperate those two things is that many members are against anything status related, which involve tracking total points, salutes, etc. The system can be setup to track the total salutes recieved or not, that would be an option we have, and needs to be discussed.

tried it-- it works. . .

i'm still not in favor of any type of public recognition though, even if points aren't tracked-- i simply don't see the need for constantly patting each other on the back. . . if you really like a post well enough to recognize it, you can take the 2.7 seconds necessary to type a short response-- if it's not even worth that, does it really need to be recognized at all? if we absolutely HAVE to have some type of system, i vastly prefer the more private mile high salute the way we currently have it set up. . . truth be told, though, i liked this place better the way it was initially, before we had any recognition system in place at all. . . . i certainly don't think that we need two different systems. . . .
    “When we do find that guy, we’ve got to have the continuity on the offensive side to where we can train him and develop him and get him there. This is our fourth offense in probably three or four years. Quarterbacks need to be developed. You don’t find one ready-made. We got to have a solid system in place for when we do go after whatever guy it may be, a young guy or a trade or whatnot.”
    - John Elway

I prefer the 'private' mile high system as well and only one system.
    I think this is the happy medium for all on the board.

Adopted Bronco:
    Josh McDaniels Sucks

Is there any way to make the Private one show up lilke a PM, when it tells you you have one.......... I just like to know right away, and dont know what the salution is........ If we are worried about tracking stuff, we might as well hide the post count...

Quote Originally Posted by claymore View Post
    Is there any way to make the Private one show up lilke a PM, when it tells you you have one.......... I just like to know right away, and dont know what the salution is........ If we are worried about tracking stuff, we might as well hide the post count...
    No, there is no simple way to do that.

Adopted Bronco:
    Baron Browning, Jaleel McLaughlin

Quote Originally Posted by claymore View Post
    If we are worried about tracking stuff, we might as well hide the post count...

believe me, i wish they would. . . .

okay T, here's what i don't understand. . . if it's not being publicly tracked, why does this appear under everyone's other info?

High Five: 1
    High Fived 2 Times in 1 Post

“When we do find that guy, we’ve got to have the continuity on the offensive side to where we can train him and develop him and get him there. This is our fourth offense in probably three or four years. Quarterbacks need to be developed. You don’t find one ready-made. We got to have a solid system in place for when we do go after whatever guy it may be, a young guy or a trade or whatnot.”
    - John Elway

Adopted Bronco:
    Kay Adams

A few people have said they don't think it should be tracked. Just curious as to why. I don't see any harm in it.

Quote Originally Posted by slim View Post
    A few people have said they don't think it should be tracked. Just curious as to why. I don't see any harm in it.
    I hate public recognition. For me it is a matter of principle.

For me it is a matter of dignity and chastity.

Quote Originally Posted by Cleveland Rocks View Post
    I hate public recognition. For me it is a matter of principle.

For me it is a matter of dignity and frugalness.
    principle? yikes. I don't think the mile high salute is that serious in nature.

Quote Originally Posted by dogfish View Post
    okay T, here's what i don't understand. . . if it's not being publicly tracked, why does this appear under everyone's other info?

As I said, for this demo, it is, but we have the "option" to not track it if we choose to implement it without tracking.

In order to change that, I have to go into the template and remove the code, which is doable, but then people couldn't see what the tracking option is to decide whether or not we want it.

believe me, i wish they would. . . .
    As to this, remember you are "they" as a member of the advisory board. If as a community we want to remove post counts, then we can certainly create a seperate Town Hall discussion on this, and if the consensus seems to be that people would prefer that removed, then the advisory board (you, me and the others) would certainly consider that input as we were making future decisions.

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information