Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Town Hall Discussion: Mile High Salute Trial Period Coming to an End - Input Needed

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

I prefer the system we had the Freak with salutes noted at the bottom of the page with the person's name that gave them to you.
    BOOM GOES THE DYNAMITE

Adopted Bronco:
    Josh McDaniels Sucks

What is it about the anonymous nature of the system? I am not complaining, just trying to gain perspective.

Another thing I like about the non anonymous salute, is that you didnt have to go to your profile to see it. If someone hit you with a than you knew to check, and see if they neede a response.

Quote Originally Posted by claymore View Post
    What is it about the anonymous nature of the system? I am not complaining, just trying to gain perspective.

Another thing I like about the non anonymous salute, is that you didnt have to go to your profile to see it. If someone hit you with a than you knew to check, and see if they neede a response.
    On BM, there was a ton of CP whoring. People that formed cliques to give each other CPs. Stuff like that. That, and what most of us are used to was the CP or vBulletin built in reputation system. The Freak salute system, or the High Five system shown above is a vBulletin add in, so is less common on message boards. Those that visited the Freak were used to it, those that spent most of their time on mania, never saw it in use.

By the way, with Christmas being only a few days away, we are going to likely have to leave this discussion going for a while, because we need to get feedback from as many members as possible, and some are away (or busy) for Christmas.

Adopted Bronco:
    Andra Davis

Not sure we all cared much about the point as we did the name that sluted our post.
    I knew a man a long long time but I never knew him at all. Small in stature, big at heart but he always stood tall. In my mind he could do no wrong misunderstood all along. He worked hard all his live to get what he had. He was a little rough around the edges simple in mind but always had a kind eye for me. I will miss you Dad.

Gem's Yardog.

Adopted Bronco:
    Josh McDaniels Sucks

Quote Originally Posted by yardog View Post
    Not sure we all cared much about the point as we did the name that sluted our post.
    Yup, and dont get us wrong Tned, we are just trying to contribute as members, we dont want to disrupt, we just want to unpack our bags and hang out.

Yup, and dont get us wrong Tned, we are just trying to contribute as members, we dont want to disrupt, we just want to unpack our bags and hang out.
    I can only speak for myself, but I certainly am glad you are here. Clearly the Freak culture and the Broncosforums culture (derivative of broncomania culture) are a bit different, but I don't think they are dramatically so.

Adopted Bronco:
    Andra Davis

Thanks Clay I didn't mean to sound demanding in any way. JMO of the salute sytem up for debate. Wow I hope we get settled soon I'm typing way to much today.
    Last edited by Lonestar; 12-23-2007 at 05:38 PM. Reason: fix the quote
    I knew a man a long long time but I never knew him at all. Small in stature, big at heart but he always stood tall. In my mind he could do no wrong misunderstood all along. He worked hard all his live to get what he had. He was a little rough around the edges simple in mind but always had a kind eye for me. I will miss you Dad.

Gem's Yardog.

Adopted Bronco:
    Josh McDaniels Sucks

Quote Originally Posted by tnedator View Post
    I can only speak for myself, but I certainly am glad you are here. Clearly the Freak culture and the Broncosforums culture (derivative of broncomania culture) are a bit different, but I don't think they are dramatically so.
    You are the new Martin Luther, and we all broke off from the catholic church............. Im sure both parties will stay to themselves at first, then we will all form a bond, and intermingle more.

Its like the highschool dance................

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

You are the new Martin Luther, and we all broke off from the catholic church............. Im sure both parties will stay to themselves at first, then we will all form a bond, and intermingle more.

Quit being a dork. Good grief, just get on his leg and gnaw a bit.
    BOOM GOES THE DYNAMITE

My great aunt, a nun for 50 years, must be turning over in her grave hearing me referred to has Martin Luther.

Adopted Bronco:
    Baron Browning, Jaleel McLaughlin

tned, looks like you've got a new nickname. . . .

Do you like the current Mile High Salute system?

more or less-- everyone knows that it was my preference not to have any type of system, but if we have to have one i'm pretty satisfied with this one. . .

Do you like the fact no points or status is tracked in conjunction with the system?

YES! yes yes yes. . . . attach any type of points tracking and everything immediately goes to hell in a handbasket. . .

Do you like the anonymous nature of the system, vs. allowing others to see who you have given a Mile High Salute to?

absolutely-- if i want to publicly acknowledge a good post i can always do so with a post of my own. . . i'm against anything that i think will result in "CP whoring," as it really decreased my enjoyment of BM in the long term-- i think this board is doing FINE wihtout any of that junk, and i very much want to see it stay that way. . .

Do you like the 'limit and spread', the limit of only giving 10 salutes a day and spreading to five other people before giving a Mile High Salute to the same person again?

no real opinion here. . .
    “When we do find that guy, we’ve got to have the continuity on the offensive side to where we can train him and develop him and get him there. This is our fourth offense in probably three or four years. Quarterbacks need to be developed. You don’t find one ready-made. We got to have a solid system in place for when we do go after whatever guy it may be, a young guy or a trade or whatnot.”
    - John Elway

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

If people are offended about other people whoring rep points,. Who cares. It's all in fun. I could give a rats behind who has what rep points and how many. We never had a problem with it at the Freak, ever. Everybody gave salutes which resulted in points. There was no competition and nobody complained about who had how much. it was fun. It never got out of hand. we even had negative rep threads where if you posted in a certain thread you lost points,. We had fun with the salutes and the points. Goodness sakes, it's all in fun people. If anybody is worried that somebody has more rep than them, shame on them Loosen up and have fun. Thats the objective.
    BOOM GOES THE DYNAMITE

Adopted Bronco:
    Baron Browning, Jaleel McLaughlin

Quote Originally Posted by Bronco9798 View Post
    If people are offended about other people whoring rep points,. Who cares. It's all in fun. I could give a rats behind who has what rep points and how many. We never had a problem with it at the Freak, ever. Everybody gave salutes which resulted in points. There was no competition and nobody complained about who had how much. it was fun. It never got out of hand. we even had negative rep threads where if you posted in a certain thread you lost points,. We had fun with the salutes and the points. Goodness sakes, it's all in fun people. If anybody is worried that somebody has more rep than them, shame on them Loosen up and have fun. Thats the objective.

unfortunately, it did get really out of hand at the board where most of us are from. . . i personally could care less about points, post count, or any of that stuff-- i was one of the points leaders on BM, but it really never meant that much to me. . . i liked knowing that people had enjoyed or appreciated things that i'd posted, but i just got so damned tired of how people viewed it as a status symbol. . . i see where you're coming from with "just ignore it," but it really got to be a pain in the ass when every day there were stupid, pointless "i need CP" (the equivalent of salutes) threads popping up and driving more interesting threads off the front page. . . people regularly made a freakin' drama out of it, and IMO it just wasn't worth all the arguing, bickering and pettiness. . . it was way more distraction than it was worth. . .

plus, it was a big draw for some of the, shall we say, less mature posters. . . my observation is that the football discussion-- which is primarily what i come here for-- has been at a consistently MUCH higher level here at this board, and my main concern is keeping it that way. . . i don't want the little fanboys from BM gravitating over here, and if we don't have that type of system in place i think it tends to discourage them. . .
    “When we do find that guy, we’ve got to have the continuity on the offensive side to where we can train him and develop him and get him there. This is our fourth offense in probably three or four years. Quarterbacks need to be developed. You don’t find one ready-made. We got to have a solid system in place for when we do go after whatever guy it may be, a young guy or a trade or whatnot.”
    - John Elway

Quote Originally Posted by Bronco9798 View Post
    Good point for you guys from over there. We just had a salute thing where a person saluted you and you got points for it but nobody could see your salute (rep) points but you. It was not public info. It was stored on your control panel. You saw who saluted you at the bottom of the post but never the points. So, we never had anything to complain about. it was Great. You got saluted and it showed who saluted you but nobody ever saw your points but you.
    The other factor on Broncosmania, was those CP points not only were visible (more or less, by bars like the Freak had that went with post count), but also your titles changed, you got new features like bigger avatars or the ability to send PMs to more than one person, and even private forums that you got into based on how many points you had. So, on bmania, there was real 'value' attributed to points, which I believe created most, if not all, the problems.

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information