Page 5 of 34 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 15 ... LastLast

Thread: Town Hall Discussion: Feedback wanted on rules, moderation, banning procedures, etc.

My mom babysits kids and I never cuss around them. I also never cuss around family members. I really dont cuss much at all unless I'm watching a sporting event.

Why do you think I never post in the gameday threads?
    I would be banned if I posted during the game.
    @Tnedator

RIP DARRENT WILLIAMS
    RIP DAMIEN NASH
    RIP BFC
    RIP Sneakers the Cat

Adopted Bronco:
    Bob Howsam

Quote Originally Posted by fcspikeit View Post
    When I am working with adults I curse, But I agree with you about not cursing on here. There is something about reading a curse word that makes the poster sound dumb.
    If you know how a poster is and say, for example, that said poster is exceptionally smart, but drops an f-bomb from time to time, that shouldn't automatically force you to register that poster as dumb. THAT is dumb.

No one is saying that by loosening the restrictions on what curse words we can use that the board is going to be renamed "broncos****ums.com". Curse words are tools in helping people be more expressive, believe it or not.

"For Pete's sake!" doesn't have the same ring as "SON OF A B!TCH!"
    "Milk is for babies. When you grow up, you have to drink beer" -Arnold

Adopted Bronco:
    Brandon Stokley

Quote Originally Posted by Kapaibro View Post
    And what about the rest of my post. I notice you completely disregarded that.

But hey, who gives a damn about my opinion these days
    So you feel damn should be excepted?

Asked at what point would it be in the best interest of the team to trade Cutler, McDaniels answered: "Never." Nice to see your a man of your word Josh

Quote Originally Posted by SeeingRed View Post
    "broncos****ums.com".
    @ that.
    I like that name.
    @Tnedator

RIP DARRENT WILLIAMS
    RIP DAMIEN NASH
    RIP BFC
    RIP Sneakers the Cat

Adopted Bronco:
    broncos_mtnman

So I guess i am confused....

Is cursing allowed, or is this a thread about ways to beat the curse filter??

Adopted Bronco:
    Bob Howsam

Quote Originally Posted by Watchthemiddle View Post
    How about any words you wouldn't say in front of your Grandmother while sitting in Church.

Now I know not everyone goes to Church, but I think you get the point.
    Won't happen because a) not all of us here are driven by a religious compass and b) some of us here (me) are a product of our environment and happen to enjoy using curse words.

Personally, I'm tired of the "PC" world that we're starting to live in. I don't care who I offend or who's feelings I hurt, so long as its no one close to me or any of my friends, but then I know what buttons not to push with them.

My breaking point with political correctness, since this is what this all boils down to while we're talking about kids posting and all, was when I was walking through the mall with my (soon to be ex) wife and my wife said, jokingly of course, "you're out of your fuggin mind" to me. An older man, probably in his 50s or 60s, big ole fat jolly old man that looked like the Peppridge Farm guy, stops my wife and says "ma'am, I'd appreciate it if you didn't use language like that". I got pissed and had a couple of words with the man, said a couple of "last time I checked the Constitution granted me my freedom of speech, not you" type of things, and went on my way. NO ONE, on the internet or otherwise, has the priveledge of giving or taking away my freedoms so long as I am a law abiding citizen.

Sorry for the mini-rant.

Adopted Bronco:
    Josh McDaniels Sucks

Just because there are adults on the board doesn't make cursing right. We have a lot of young members, and I personally don't like seeing curse words on the board.

If that's your only form of expression, then it's pretty sad.
    And yet, you are the only one who has cursed at me on this board. Odd.............

Adopted Bronco:
    Bob Howsam

Quote Originally Posted by Watchthemiddle View Post
    So I guess i am confused....

Is cursing allowed, or is this a thread about ways to beat the curse filter??
    See: Post #1

Adopted Bronco:
    broncos_mtnman

Won't happen because a) not all of us here are driven by a religious compass and b) some of us here (me) are a product of our environment and happen to enjoy using curse words.

Personally, I'm tired of the "PC" world that we're starting to live in. I don't care who I offend or who's feelings I hurt, so long as its no one close to me or any of my friends, but then I know what buttons not to push with them.

My breaking point with political correctness, since this is what this all boils down to while we're talking about kids posting and all, was when I was walking through the mall with my (soon to be ex) wife and my wife said, jokingly of course, "you're out of your fuggin mind" to me. An older man, probably in his 50s or 60s, big ole fat jolly old man that looked like the Peppridge Farm guy, stops my wife and says "ma'am, I'd appreciate it if you didn't use language like that". I got pissed and had a couple of words with the man, said a couple of "last time I checked the Constitution granted me my freedom of speech, not you" type of things, and went on my way. NO ONE, on the internet or otherwise, has the priveledge of giving or taking away my freedoms so long as I am a law abiding citizen.
    Sorry for the mini-rant.
    I didn't mean to make this anything religious, just was making a point. SOmeone asked whats classified curse word or what should not be allowed and a my response was just a simple way of going about it.

Your correct, but places like Message Boards can and are allowed to put rules in place.

The same way posters can say.."if you don't like it then put them on ignore" is the same way another poster or moderator can say .."if you don't like our rules, then you can go to another board".

These boards are a privalege not a right. Rules need to be set in place by the founding fathers/mothers and we need to abide by them. Now, if they take our input like Tned is in this thread and rules change, then so be it. The rules might change and if we all want to be a part of this board, we will all have to abide by them.

No Kap, I don't dislike you, you're one of my favorites and you know that, I'm just using generalizations and stereotypes like you did. Doesn't sit right does it?
    And what about the rest of my post. I notice you completely disregarded that.

But hey, who gives a damn about my opinion these days
    Cursing isn't wrong either, per-say. We don't have a lot of young members. We have a handful.

Better?
    Come on guys, please cool it. Have some respect for the process and take the petty arguments to PMs or another thread.

When I post I use the words ass and crap from time to time.

Not sure if those are curse words.I think theres a big difference

between using those words and some words that are just downright

vulgar.On the Chiefs board that I am a member of (but rarely post there,
    I mainly just read) they have no filter at all...the F word is acceptable
    there.

IMO we don't need to use harsh words on here.You can get your point

across w/o them...now if you have a dirty joke to tell me with those

words...you can PM me...

Adopted Bronco:
    Brandon Stokley

If you know how a poster is and say, for example, that said poster is exceptionally smart, but drops an f-bomb from time to time, that shouldn't automatically force you to register that poster as dumb. THAT is dumb.

No one is saying that by loosening the restrictions on what curse words we can use that the board is going to be renamed "broncos****ums.com". Curse words are tools in helping people be more expressive, believe it or not.

"For Pete's sake!" doesn't have the same ring as "SON OF A B!TCH!"
    I take it you wouldn't mind your kids saying SON OF A B!TCH?

As I said, I curse, My friends curse, However, I don't curse around my kids. I knew a 3 year old kid that was always saying SON OF A B!TCH. It wasn't funny, it was sad!

More times then not when profanity is typed into wards it sounds forced and fake. Profanity doesn't come across well in intelligent conversation. For example, If someone said, President Bush is a dumb F*** the poster don't come across the same as if he said, President Bush is clueless.

I would assume the person saying dumb f*** has no basses as to why they feel that way. On the other hand, I would assume the person saying Clueless has some reason as to why they have come to that conclusion.

Maybe its because the F word is so none definitive. It don't really mean anything, just that the person saying it is displeased with something. If I said, My truck is F***** you have no idea what is wrong with my truck. You could assume I probably don't either. If I said my truck has a blown head casket you would assume I have some knowledge when it comes to mechanics. If I know what the problem is with my truck why would I just say it is f*****?

Asked at what point would it be in the best interest of the team to trade Cutler, McDaniels answered: "Never." Nice to see your a man of your word Josh

Adopted Bronco:
    Brandon Stokley

Sorry for the mini-rant.
    This is a privately owned board. Tned is giving us the privilege for our voice to be heard. You and I only have the rights here tned allows us to have. IMO it is great of him to even give us a voice about what we as a community want this board to be. When the rules are set in place everyone here has the right to stop coming here, we don't have the right to force everyone to have to read profanity just because we want to type it.

There is a law about the use of profanity in a public place where minors are present. Wouldn't being a law abiding citizen mean following that law as well?

Adopted Bronco:
    Bob Howsam

Either way, the majority of people here seem in favor if lifting some of the restrictive rules on this forum and allowing some posters a little more freedom.

We've had a sudden influx of new members over the past few days and they all come from a website with few restrictions as far as what is said. They're going to want a little more posting freedom as do a lot of us here.

If 2/3 of people want change, there is going to be 1/3 left out. That's how democracy works, and this board is set up like a democracy with tned being the President and the Advisory Board as Congress, except we didn't vote them in.

Change is bound to happen and while you, WTM, Kap, and few others may not like the changes that take place, you can either stay here and post and ignore some of the curse words or whatever, or you can do something to change things back. One way or the other there are going to be changes that not everyone agrees with, but such is life.

Adopted Bronco:
    Josh McDaniels Sucks

Quote Originally Posted by fcspikeit View Post
    This is a privately owned board. Tned is giving us the privilege for our voice to be heard. You and I only have the rights here tned allows us to have. IMO it is great of him to even give us a voice about what we as a community want this board to be. When the rules are set in place everyone here has the right to stop coming here, we don't have the right to force everyone to have to read profanity just because we want to type it.

There is a law about the use of profanity in a public place where minors are present. Wouldn't being a law abiding citizen mean following that law as well?
    Where is that law? And does it apply to the internet?

I have no need to swear here. **** gets me any where I need to swear........ On the flip side, If my 10 year old stubbs her toe, and says the F word, can I blame her? A word is a word, and sometimes crap, and jolly ding dong darnit do not correctly articulate your feelings..............

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information