Thread: Patriots QB overcoming knee injury, loss of McDaniels

Default Patriots QB overcoming knee injury, loss of McDaniels

Brady's year of transition

By Jeff Legwold
    The Denver Post
    Posted: 10/09/2009 01:00:00 AM MDT
    Updated: 10/09/2009 03:08:59 AM MDT

There are whispers that Tom Brady isn't playing like Tom Brady, after a close call against the Bills and a loss to the Jets this season. (Elsa, Getty Images )There were rumblings around the NFL as the season opened, quiet sorts of criticisms from those tentatively dipping their toes into an unexpected pond.

Tom Brady, yes, Super Bowl-winning, supermodel-dating Tom Brady, just wasn't right. His surgically reconstructed knee was bothering him.

He was jittery in the pocket at times, as he tried to come back from the most serious injury of his career.

That he missed Josh McDaniels as his offensive coordinator, that he was distracted by fame, fatherhood and his high-profile wife. Take your pick. The theories were everywhere.

Or not.

"I think he's handled himself well," Patriots coach Bill Belichick said. "Looks like Tom Brady to me."

Though he has had

Slide Show
    View photos from Patriots QB Tom Brady's career.
    some on-field bobbles early on — he's an uncharacteristic 17th in the league in passer rating behind the likes of Jason Campbell, Kevin Kolb and David Garrard — Brady still has guided the Patriots to a 3-1 start as they come to Denver this weekend.

And with a signature victory over the previously unbeaten Ravens last week, the Patriots are 90-25 in Brady's 115 career starts and sit atop the AFC East standings, tied with the Jets.

"He's the hardest worker on the team by far," said Broncos long snapper Lonie Paxton, a former teammate of Brady's. "It seems some people are just born with talent, but they don't have a certain drive they need; and some people are born with the drive but not as much physical talent, so they work a lot harder to try to gain something.

"But in the time I've been around the guy, he's always had both. He has the drive and the talent and that's all you need to know."

Said Broncos tight end Daniel Graham, another former Patriot: "When it's time to get to business, it's all about business for him. He is the hardest worker. There'd be times when we were racing to see who would be the first one to work everyday. He was always one of the first, always in the weight room

Elvis Dumervil celebrates a first-quarter sack of Cowboys quarterback Tony Romo Sunday at Invesco Field at Mile High. (Steve Nehf, The Denver Post)and film room."

And Brady still leads the league in completions and attempts as well as being fourth in yards passing. Yet, he will admit it has been a year of transition.

He is trying to return from a left knee injury. Brady tore the anterior cruciate and medial collateral ligaments.

And he is also doing business without McDaniels as his position coach. Brady had the biggest year of his career in 2007 and set the standard for quarterbacks with 50 touchdown passes with McDaniels calling plays and opening up the Patriots playbook.

Brady then injured his knee in the first quarter of the season opener last year. He played sparingly in the preseason to start his return, throwing 42 passes in three games.

It was a narrow victory over a struggling Buffalo team to open the season, followed by a Week 2 loss to the Jets when Brady didn't complete 50 percent of his passes, that started the murmurs.

Quarterbacks coach Bill O'Brien, director of player personnel Nick Caserio and Belichick have divided up McDaniels' former duties. Caserio is usually in the coach's box during games, with O'Brien on the sideline.

"Everyone is trying to work together to kind of do what Josh was doing," Brady said. "Josh put together a great plan, called great plays and there's a reason he got hired as a head football coach. There's a transition period. We've been at it a while, and we'll continue to make the improvements we need to make."

Asked this week if his knee was bothering him, Brady said: "I think it's been another step in the process of getting back on the field. We've practiced now almost 50 times, over 50 times, played basically eight games this year (including preseason), and every week I feel more comfortable back there, and our offense seems to be performing a little better each week. Hopefully that continues."

The Broncos have allowed the fewest points in the league and are tied for the league lead in sacks. But the quick-thinking Brady has been difficult for opposing defenses to get to. He's been sacked four times this season — three of those last Sunday by the Ravens, who then accused the officials of giving Brady preferential treatment.

Two roughing the passer penalties on the Ravens kept Patriots' scoring drives alive. Brady was unapologetic this week for drawing those calls last Sunday.

"I'd love to receive preferential treatment," he said. " . . . I'd love that."

In the end, how the Broncos handle the likely future Hall of Famer both in and out of the pocket will have a lot to do with how things go Sunday.

"(He's) kind of like everybody, there's always room for improvement, we're kind of all working on that," Belichick said. "Tom's thrown the ball well, thrown it accurately, and we've been in a lot of different situations — two-minute drills, no huddle, he's played from behind a couple times, dealt with a good pass rush several weeks here."

Said Broncos cornerback Champ Bailey: "Every time you watch film, he's got guys around him, harassing him, but still he finds a way to fit that ball in. He's so poised."

Jeff Legwold: 303-954-2359 or jlegwold@denverpost.com

So far, so . . .

2009 starts for Patriots quarterback Tom Brady:

Opponent Comp.-Att.-Yards TDs Ints Result
    Bills 39-53-378 2 1 Patriots 25, Bills 24
    At Jets 23-47-216 0 1 Jets 16, Patriots 9
    Falcons 25-42-277 1 0 Patriots 26, Falcons 10
    Ravens 21-32-258 1 0 Patriots 27, Ravens 21

http://www.denverpost.com/premium/broncos/ci_13519539

Adopted Bronco:
    Malik Jackson

I traded him in my fantasy league for 2 reasons:

1-The injury
    2-The loss of his OC

Adopted Bronco:
    Knowshon Moreno

Quote Originally Posted by SmilinAssasSin27 View Post
    I traded him in my fantasy league for 2 reasons:

1-The injury
    2-The loss of his OC
    I drafted him in the 2nd round on one of my fantasy teams for 2 reasons:

1-He is Tom Brady.
    2- He still has Welker and Moss.

It appears you are smarter than I judging by my 1-3 record in that league.

4. The Following User High Fived honz For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Malik Jackson

Quote Originally Posted by honz View Post
    I drafted him in the 2nd round on one of my fantasy teams for 2 reasons:

1-He is Tom Brady.
    2- He still has Welker and Moss.

It appears you are smarter than I judging by my 1-3 record in that league.
    I am 3-1....and it doesn't hurt that I got Aaron Rodgers and 2 first round picks.

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information