Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: The Champ Bailey appreciation thread

Adopted Bronco:
    Baron Browning, Jaleel McLaughlin

Default The Champ Bailey appreciation thread

I've been wanting to start this one for a while, and now seems like the perfect time. I've gotta admit, some of the comments that have been made about Champ on these boards over the past year have really pissed me off. People crying about how he's "always" hurt, saying he's past his prime and isn't that good anymore, etc etc. . . we should trade him, he isn't worth what he makes, blah blah blah. Buncha ungrateful chumps! You know who you are. . .

So let's take a moment to stop and appreciate one of the very best to ever wear the orange and blue, and one of the all-time greats at his position. Cornerback is probably the toughest position on the field after quarterback, especially in today's game-- it's WAY tougher than it was twenty years ago. Look at the utter freaks these guys are regularly matched up against, 6'4" 225 pound mutants who can still run sub-4.4 40's, and have 35-40" verticals. Yea. Try staying with one of those dudes when he knows where he's going and you don't. And don't get your hands even close to him beyond five yards. This is the golden era of the wide receiver, in a game where teams throw more than fifty percent of the time and are just as likely to spread the field with three or four wideouts from the shotgun formation on third and short as they are on third and long.

The corner's job is harder now than in any other era of the NFL-- it's akin to Sissyphus trying to push the damn rock back up the hill, and fans are waiting to crucify them if they give up anything at all. Quietly lock down your guy all game long and most people never even notice. Get beat and you're an easy scapegoat. Today's NFL is a league that eats up corners like a paper shredder. Even good ones can fall off quicker than you can blink, and never be heard from again.

And in this pressure cooker, Bailey has put together one of the better careers the game has seen from the position, and he's not done yet. And not only has he played at an exceptionally high level, he's also been a model of consistency and dependability. Seriously, people complain about him getting hurt? Bullshit!! Dude has been amazingly durable. He's played in 150 of a possible 160 games in his career, starting all 16 games seven out of ten seasons and never missing more than two games before last year. So he's gotten banged up a bit in recent seasons-- it's football, people! It's a contact sport. Everybody gets banged up-- what matters is whether you can play through it, and he has.

And talk about consistency-- his eight consecutive Pro Bowls made the longest streak in league history for his position, and tie him for second all-time in total selections by a cornerback. He also has four Associated Press All-Pro selections, and finished second in the 2006 Defensive MVP voting. He's an elite athlete with the ability to make gamechanging plays, but unlike some of the game's other great corners, he's not a finesse player-- he takes pride in his strong tackling and is never afraid to stick his nose in there in the running game. He's a consummate pro in terms of preparation and work ethic, and a humble team player who's made some big stops on the kick coverage teams and used to lobby the coaching staff to let him take snaps at wide receiver. He's pretty much the definition of a complete player.

Let's stand back for a minute and appreciate what a privilege it's been to have a player like this in Denver. It's easy for fans to get caught up in the moment, and wins and losses-- and we haven't had the success during his tenure here that we experienced with some of our other greats-- but for this football fanatic, it's been a complete joy to wach this guy do his thing week in and week out. He's got a well-deserved spot awaiting him in Canton when he's done, and I'll be surprised if he doesn't go in on the first ballot. War Champ Bailey.
    Last edited by dogfish; 10-05-2009 at 12:37 AM.
    “When we do find that guy, we’ve got to have the continuity on the offensive side to where we can train him and develop him and get him there. This is our fourth offense in probably three or four years. Quarterbacks need to be developed. You don’t find one ready-made. We got to have a solid system in place for when we do go after whatever guy it may be, a young guy or a trade or whatnot.”
    - John Elway

Adopted Bronco:
    Champ Bailey

Great thread Dog!

Champ has always and will continue to be one of my fav's on this team. I wasn't sold on the trade years ago but he has proved his worth to this organization time and time again...

I look forward to more picks this year...

3. The Following User High Fived Reidman For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    All of 'em

Champ...

To a great Bronco and a great player.
    Merry.

Adopted Bronco:
    Demaryius Thomas

One of my favorite players. Seeing him in person is amazing. He's a hell of an athlete! Dis a great job today. So glad to have him as a Bronco.

6. The Following User High Fived Italianmobstr7 For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Drew Lock

Was I one of the people who thought dealing him was a good idea? Yes, only becasue Denver has/had so many needs and his stock was high. But I wasn't one of those who ever said he stunk or lost it and that always pissed me off. I always stood by he's the best CB in the NFL, and not since John did Denver have a player who was the best in the League at any one position.

It was terrible watching him the last year as Denver got roasted defensively. I hope he's enjoying the Orange Crush's seeming epiphany.
    "I may not be a mathematician, but I can count to a million." - Shannon Sharpe

8. The Following User High Fived Shazam! For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Baron Browning, Jaleel McLaughlin

Yo Tony, I'm really happy for you, and I'ma let you finish, but Champ Bailey is one of the best cornerbacks of all time! OF ALL TIME!!

sorry, i had to. . . .
    “When we do find that guy, we’ve got to have the continuity on the offensive side to where we can train him and develop him and get him there. This is our fourth offense in probably three or four years. Quarterbacks need to be developed. You don’t find one ready-made. We got to have a solid system in place for when we do go after whatever guy it may be, a young guy or a trade or whatnot.”
    - John Elway

10. The Following 6 Users High Fived dogfish For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Knowshon Moreno

Where's Clay?

12. The Following User High Fived honz For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Drew Lock

Clay's to report to me ASAP as the official shotgun rider of the Josh McDaniels Bandwagon. I'm getting tired. He's supposed to relieve me. Timmy is in charge of security. Where the **** did he go now?
    "I may not be a mathematician, but I can count to a million." - Shannon Sharpe

Have seen him get burnt....many, many times.....esp. last year....no doubt....imo a def. hall of famer...
    Very nice to see him have a great game against the cowboys......you would think the experience of Champ and Dawkins ....is a huge boost for the new defense .
    My 5 favorite teams:
    1.The Denver Broncos
    2.The Ohio State Buckeyes
    3.Any team that plays Michigan
    4.The Pittsburgh Pirates
    5.Oklahoma Lady Sooners Basketball Team

"Don't squander what you're given....make the most of precious time.....life's not only for the living...it's what you leave behind.....Brad Delp & Barry Goudreau

Champ by name, Champ by nature.

And lets face it, we never hear anything in the media EXCEPT positives about this man!

That is the kind of sportsperson you want kids to emulate!
    "Women are meant to be loved, not to be understood." Oscar Wilde

Add me on Facebook!

16. The Following 6 Users High Fived Kapaibro For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Von Miller, Peyton's Neck

I think a lot of people (including myself at times) were so frustrated with the way the defense played over the past 2 seasons and used Champ as an escape goat. Expecting him to carry on as a beast without any pressure up front. No CB is that good.

Anyway, I salute Champ! Nice work against Dallas!
    Thanks Shake!

Quote Originally Posted by dogfish View Post

Yo Tony, I'm really happy for you, and I'ma let you finish, but Champ Bailey is one of the best cornerbacks of all time! OF ALL TIME!!

sorry, i had to. . . .

Tony's actions though in error are understandable. His past decission making has been suspect. One only has to look at his past to understand that a serious problem exists. Anyone who drops Jessica Simpson tends to lean in the direction of questionable choices but when coupled with multiple throws at Champ and it is obvious that the problem is clinical. We can only stand by and hope that he gets the professional help he needs. After all, no one tugs on Superman's cape.

Rather than pointing fingers and feeling joy at this poor creature's expense we as Bronco fans should pray that he gets the help that he so clearly needs. . . at least until the next time we play them.
    Last edited by Dean; 10-05-2009 at 03:14 PM. Reason: spelling
    RIP Cameron, D, & D

19. The Following 6 Users High Fived Dean For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Bob Howsam

Romo through at Champ 16 times yesterday. We all saw how far that got him.
    "Milk is for babies. When you grow up, you have to drink beer" -Arnold

21. The Following User High Fived SR For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    KJ Hamler

Quote Originally Posted by SeeingRed View Post
    Romo through at Champ 16 times yesterday. We all saw how far that got him.
    I'm glad that Romo did try to challenge Champ. It provided the opportunity for Champ to shake a little rust off. All DB's will get a little rusty if teams constantly avoid them.

Luckily for us, Champ isn't just a one dimensional player. He has a complete game.

Champ, Dumervil, and Marshall should be in line for new contracts ASAP.
    Last edited by Traveler; 10-05-2009 at 02:42 PM. Reason: Spelling

23. The Following 2 Users High Fived Traveler For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Randy Gradishar Steve Atwater

Hopefully more teams will test Champ this season. You can never have too many interceptions or batted balls.

25. The Following User High Fived broncofaninfla For This Post:

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information