Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Simeon Rice officially a Bronco (merged)

Adopted Bronco:
    Mister Cobble

Default Simeon Rice officially a Bronco (merged)

Just reported on ESPNEWS!!! WOO-HOO!!!

Default Simeon Rice officially a Bronco (soon to be merged merged merged)

Congrats Donkeys. Len Pasquasomething just reported it.

Quote Originally Posted by BaileyTheBest View Post
    Just reported on ESPNEWS!!! WOO-HOO!!!

there goes the neighborhood.

Adopted Bronco:
    Bob Howsam

Wow. I'm not sure if I like that or not just yet.
    "Milk is for babies. When you grow up, you have to drink beer" -Arnold

Wooohooo!!! I wonder who will get cut.

I was not a big supporter of this at first, but it definitely grew on me lately. Good job Shanny!

good pick up for us. rice has ALWAYS been solid. he will come much much cheaper than kerney would have. plus rice is glad to be a bronco, playing with his old teammates and sporting the awesome uni!
    "Oh I’m sorry, did I break your concentration?”
    Jules Winnfield - Pulp Fiction

im pretty happy about this move. i think he will be more of an impact then bly...flame at me if you want but i think rice can bring the heat on a qb. i dont think ill be so nervous next time we face the colts.
    "Oh I’m sorry, did I break your concentration?”
    Jules Winnfield - Pulp Fiction

Broncos agree to terms with free agent Simeon RiceBy Len Pasquarelli
    ESPN.com
    (Archive)
    Updated: September 3, 2007, 6:28 PM ET
    Comment
    Email
    Print
    Free-agent defensive end Simeon Rice, one of the few potential impact players remaining in free agency and a guy who enters 2007 as the second-leading active sacker in the league, reached a contract agreement with the Denver Broncos on Monday evening.

Rice, 33, arrived in Denver on Sunday, dined that evening with team officials, and then chose the Broncos' contract offer over the proposal the St. Louis Rams submitted. Details of the contract, which came after a day of negotiations, were not immediately available.

The addition of Rice, who was released by the Tampa Bay Buccaneers at the outset of training camp in July, continues the near-wholesale overhaul of the Denver defensive line. Even before adding Rice, the Broncos were projected to have four new defensive line starters. Only two of the defensive linemen who dressed for Denver in the 2006 season opener remain on the active roster.

It is not yet known if Rice will play in Denver's season opener at Buffalo on Sunday, but he left little doubt that he wants to suit up.

"I'm anxious to play," Rice said. "It's what I do. I'm not [accustomed] to sitting around."

An 11-year veteran, Rice should provide the Broncos with the upfield pass-rush threat the team has lacked for the last several seasons. Denver had 35 sacks in 2006, slightly below the NFL average of 36.3, and its top sacker was then-rookie Elvis Dumervil, with 8½. The Broncos haven't had a player with double-digit sacks since end Reggie Hayward recorded 10½ in 2004.

Rice has posted eight seasons with 10 or more sacks and only four players in league history have more double-digit sack years than him. He had a string of five straight double-digit sack seasons snapped last year, when a shoulder injury limited him to eight appearances and two sacks, both career lows. Rice is 13th on the all-time sack list and needs eight to move into the top 10 in NFL history.

There have been questions since Rice's release about the status of his left shoulder, which required surgery in the offseason, and most teams with whom he visited administered a physical examination. The Rams even put Rice through a short workout of sorts, which included a weightlifting session.

Rice also visited with the New York Giants and Tennessee Titans after his release.

Before the shoulder injury, Rice never missed a game because of injury in his first 10 NFL seasons. The former University of Illinois star has played in 166 games, 160 as a starter, and has 460 tackles, 35 forced fumbles, eight recoveries, five interceptions and 51 pass deflections.

He was a first-round pick of the Arizona Cardinals in 1996, then signed with the Bucs as an unrestricted free agent in 2001.

Rice's departure from Tampa Bay was a controversial one. Team officials allowed him to report to camp, then announced he had failed his physical exam. Rice insisted the divorce from the Bucs, where he was scheduled to have a base salary of $7.25 million in 2007 and a salary cap charge of more than $10 million, was financially motivated.

The release came, Rice said, after he rejected a proposed salary reduction of $2.5 million.

"Everybody knows it was a money thing," Rice said.

Len Pasquarelli is a senior NFL writer for ESPN.com

Lets hope it is not just a money thing in DEN
    Last edited by Lonestar; 09-03-2007 at 05:39 PM.

Well as far as a proven pass rusher, he is. Although he is, yet again, another old player signed to a contract that isnt truely a long term fix.

I dont think DE was our trouble, but DT. I guess we shall see if Rice can stand up his words.

I dont have the exact quote, but he seems to think he can be the catalist to pushing the Broncos to the Bowl.

Adopted Bronco:
    Josey Jewell

Quote Originally Posted by Krugan View Post
    Well as far as a proven pass rusher, he is. Although he is, yet again, another old player signed to a contract that isnt truely a long term fix.

I dont think DE was our trouble, but DT. I guess we shall see if Rice can stand up his words.

I dont have the exact quote, but he seems to think he can be the catalist to pushing the Broncos to the Bowl.
    Likewise, I'm not too sure of this. It seemed to me the DEs didn't have
    extraordinary problems rushing the passer. It seemed to me the problem was
    lack of push in the middle.

But, oh well, I can only hope they know what they're doing.

-----
    Though He slay me, I will trust in Him . . . (Job 13:15)

Adopted Bronco:
    Mighty Quinn

Default The defensive line is still a mess.

Signing Rice is nice, but it's hardly a long term fix. I'm glad they signed the guy, he can help if he's healthy.

But like the article says, durability wasn't an issue til last season.

The Broncos needed Rices pass rushing, the pass rush was still bad in the preseason. Although, like Top just stated, the push from inside looked even worse, and Tommie Harris/Shaun Rogers ain't walking through that door.

I don't think Rice is a cure-all, but it's a huge boost....
    "Tuning ... into each other ... lift all higher”
    “I’m just different!”

Sign Garbage Minshew.

Draft
    1st round— Cooper Dejean CB
    2nd round— Jack Sawyer OLB
    3rd round— Will Shipley RB
    4th round— Ricky Pearsall WR
    5th round— Ladd McKonkey WR
    6th round— Cash Jones RB
    7th round— Carson Steele RB

Alright.

I won't be ecstatic until I see something on the field.

But I'm not upset...yet.

I just have to see

A) Who's starting place he's taking (I hope not Dumervils!)

B) How much.

Admin on the "other" site, still your friendly Broncos fan

Well I'll be shocked if you get the Arizona Cardinal Rice, or even the Tampa Bay Buc Rice. Compared to us getting Sapp and how Sapp played last year, Rice could equal that feat for the next couple years barring injury. But his BEAST days from Weeks 1-17 are over IMO, but he can be one for half the season.

Adopted Bronco:
    Demaryius Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by Link View Post
    Signing Rice is nice, but it's hardly a long term fix. I'm glad they signed the guy, he can help if he's healthy.

But like the article says, durability wasn't an issue til last season.

The Broncos needed Rices pass rushing, the pass rush was still bad in the preseason. Although, like Top just stated, the push from inside looked even worse, and Tommie Harris/Shaun Rogers ain't walking through that door.

I don't think Rice is a cure-all, but it's a huge boost....

I agree he is stop gap (that's not a complaint guys).

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information