Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: I want to watch hockey

Default I want to watch hockey

I want to watch hockey but I have no idea at all what is going on in the rink. Hockey seems to be a sport loved by its fans, but it gets little coverage on ESPN and honestly I dont even know when the games are played.

Little help please?

Adopted Bronco:
    Bob Howsam

Hockey is the greatest sport on this Earth. If you want to learn the rules, go to www.nhl.com and read over them. The ones people seem to have the most problems understanding are icing and offsides. If I could draw a diagram for you, I could make it super easy to understand.

Depending on where you live, most teams air their games on Fox Sports. I'm an Avalanche fan...have been since they were the Quebec Nordiques. Check your TV guide and see when your team (or any team) is going to be playing. Write down a list of things you don't understand and then post 'em here and I think we'll be able to help you out.

I played hockey for 9 years and still play every time I get a chance, so I'm very familiar with rules, strategy, etc.
    "Milk is for babies. When you grow up, you have to drink beer" -Arnold

3. The Following User High Fived SR For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Dre Bly

Quote Originally Posted by SeeingRed View Post
    Hockey is the greatest sport on this Earth. If you want to learn the rules, go to www.nhl.com and read over them. The ones people seem to have the most problems understanding are icing and offsides. If I could draw a diagram for you, I could make it super easy to understand.

Depending on where you live, most teams air their games on Fox Sports. I'm an Avalanche fan...have been since they were the Quebec Nordiques. Check your TV guide and see when your team (or any team) is going to be playing. Write down a list of things you don't understand and then post 'em here and I think we'll be able to help you out.

I played hockey for 9 years and still play every time I get a chance, so I'm very familiar with rules, strategy, etc.
    It's a top 3 sport, but it's not the best... I still love football, and lacrosse more. But man, I haven't watched a hockey game in probably 6 years

4/29/06<333333333333333

I am familiar with offsides and I will read into icing. Basically it seems liek a really good sport that doesnt get love because (this is my perception, correct me if I am wrong) the NHL has done a bad job of marketing and running the sport. Hockey players are great atheletes, and you could make the argument that every hockey player takes as much abuse as a NFL RB.

Adopted Bronco:
    Bob Howsam

Every team in the NHL plays 82 games per year. The season starts in October and lasts all the way through April. Most first and second line player play between 18-25 minutes per game. IMO, hockey players take more abuse and are better athletes than any other sport.

The lack of marketing has something to do with them not getting a whole lot of attention. I think the other part of it is that most Americans are too lazy to take the extra effort to try to understand hockey.

I can't stand when ignorant people say "the only reason I like hockey is because of the fights". That makes me so f-ing mad.

Did you know hockey was actually invented in the US?

7. The Following User High Fived SR For This Post:

Every team in the NHL plays 82 games per year. The season starts in October and lasts all the way through April. Most first and second line player play between 18-25 minutes per game. IMO, hockey players take more abuse and are better athletes than any other sport.

The lack of marketing has something to do with them not getting a whole lot of attention. I think the other part of it is that most Americans are too lazy to take the extra effort to try to understand hockey.

I can't stand when ignorant people say "the only reason I like hockey is because of the fights". That makes me so f-ing mad.

Did you know hockey was actually invented in the US?
    I would wager that the only people who take more abuse in are starting RBs in who are primarily in a one back system. Just a guess thuogh, I will say that hockey players love their sport the most (as a rule) because I see dudes with a lot of gaps in their smiles who are 35 still playing. It is almost like it is a mindset.

I need to find myself a team. It cannot be the Blues because I hate St.Louis. It cannot be the black hawks because I am not a big Chicago guy either. Penguins perhaps? Sid the kid is supposedly the best player in the game (no clue if it is true).

Adopted Bronco:
    Bob Howsam

Quote Originally Posted by King87 View Post
    I would wager that the only people who take more abuse in are starting RBs in who are primarily in a one back system. Just a guess thuogh, I will say that hockey players love their sport the most (as a rule) because I see dudes with a lot of gaps in their smiles who are 35 still playing. It is almost like it is a mindset.

I need to find myself a team. It cannot be the Blues because I hate St.Louis. It cannot be the black hawks because I am not a big Chicago guy either. Penguins perhaps? Sid the kid is supposedly the best player in the game (no clue if it is true).
    Sydney Crosby is amazing. I wouldn't say he's the best player in the league for the simple reason that he hasn't really been around long enough to match up to some of the other players like Sergei Federov, Mike Modano, Jaromir Jagr, Joe Sakic, etc. Skills wise, he's probably top five.

If I had to pick one position in the NFL that took as much abuse as an NHL player, it would have to be an offensive lineman.

It's hard to compare though. They take different kinds of abuse. Football players could be on the field for 5-8 minutes for a drive, but have 10-30 second breaks in between plays, then sit out for 5-8 minutes and do nothing.

A typical shift in an NHL game for a first line player is 30-90 seconds and they're constantly moving, constantly skating, hitting, shooting, etc. Then they do a line change and sit on the bench for a couple of minutes. A lot of teams rotate three offensive lines and three defensive lines.

Sydney Crosby is amazing. I wouldn't say he's the best player in the league for the simple reason that he hasn't really been around long enough to match up to some of the other players like Sergei Federov, Mike Modano, Jaromir Jagr, Joe Sakic, etc. Skills wise, he's probably top five.

If I had to pick one position in the NFL that took as much abuse as an NHL player, it would have to be an offensive lineman.

It's hard to compare though. They take different kinds of abuse. Football players could be on the field for 5-8 minutes for a drive, but have 10-30 second breaks in between plays, then sit out for 5-8 minutes and do nothing.

A typical shift in an NHL game for a first line player is 30-90 seconds and they're constantly moving, constantly skating, hitting, shooting, etc. Then they do a line change and sit on the bench for a couple of minutes. A lot of teams rotate three offensive lines and three defensive lines.
    Fair points all around. I think I will go with the Penguins for now. If Cincy had a team I would go for them. I think I will start looking for some more hockey games on tv and watch them. It really is a fine sport, just different.

Is hockey a sport that goes by "defense wins championships", or is it a heavy offensive league or more of a mix.

Adopted Bronco:
    Bob Howsam

If you want to root for the team in your state, you could root for the Columbus Blue Jackets. They're actually doing really well right now and have some awesome players with LeClaire (their goalie), Adam Foote (defense), Rick Nash (one of the best goal scorers in the league IMO), and Sergei Federov (One of the greatest players of the past 20 years skill wise).

Hockey used to be a very defensive sport. When goalies like Martin Brodeur and Patrick Roy were at their prime, defense won championships, but there were always prolific offensive teams like Colorado, Detroit, etc. Since the lockout, the NHL has changed a couple of rules around and done a couple of other things to try to increase goal scoring. For the first couple of years after the lockout, it worked, but from what I've seen and read this year, it appears as if hockey is making another push towards defensive games. I like more scoring and I like to see my favorite players get monster stats, but above all, the increased scoring makes for more interesting and exciting games. I really hate watching games that end in 2-1 scores. Shootouts are VERY fun to watch though.

Quote Originally Posted by BaiLeY324 View Post
    It's a top 3 sport, but it's not the best... I still love football, and lacrosse more. But man, I haven't watched a hockey game in probably 6 years

i would say that it is the best sport. I am also biased as i play too.

IMO hockey players have to be the best condidiotned, over lineman,rbs etc.

You have to have strong legs to skate,check,shoot, and balance. (remember your whole body is supported by two blades roughly 7 inches long and 16th of inch thick.) Then you need stron upper body to hold off checks,puck control,the beating you get from slashes etc.

Its takes all of your body to play.
    The Plan at the moment:

Draft: Trade a 3rd and 6th this year to a team to move up and get a 2nd next year (this will happen).

Players I want:
    Jake Ferguson (Jake Butt) or Jelani Woods or Jeremy Ruckert or Cade Otten (owen daniels) at TE- All 4th rd or later.
    Troy Anderson LB 3rd/4th rd (yay Timmy!)
    Neil Farrell, JR DL- run stuffer- bye purcell

Adopted Bronco:
    Bob Howsam

Quote Originally Posted by underrated29 View Post
    i would say that it is the best sport. I am also biased as i play too.

IMO hockey players have to be the best condidiotned, over lineman,rbs etc.

You have to have strong legs to skate,check,shoot, and balance. (remember your whole body is supported by two blades roughly 7 inches long and 16th of inch thick.) Then you need stron upper body to hold off checks,puck control,the beating you get from slashes etc.

Its takes all of your body to play.
    If the blades on your skates are only 7" long you must only wear like a size 7 skate. Skate blades are closer to 1/8" wide and are hollowed in the middle so there are two edges on the blade. Sharpening skates is an art that I mastered while I worked at Behind the Mask hockey shop in Peoria, AZ.

i think my skate size is 7.5, as you know hockey skate size and shoe size do not directly correlate.

My shoe size is 10.5 -11 depending on the type of shoe.

Thats one thing i have always wanted ot learn how to do is sharpen my own skates. Obviously i have a stone, but one of my buddies works at players bench so he hooks me up. do you have a players bench down there.

also king, many people think that what ever hand you are is what hand you shoot. In hockey it is actually backwards. If you are right handed you are supposed to shoot left, so as your strongest hand is on top for control. HOwever, many do not follow that, i am one of them. I am right handed and shoot right handed.
    The Plan at the moment:

Draft: Trade a 3rd and 6th this year to a team to move up and get a 2nd next year (this will happen).

Players I want:
    Jake Ferguson (Jake Butt) or Jelani Woods or Jeremy Ruckert or Cade Otten (owen daniels) at TE- All 4th rd or later.
    Troy Anderson LB 3rd/4th rd (yay Timmy!)
    Neil Farrell, JR DL- run stuffer- bye purcell

Adopted Bronco:
    Bob Howsam

I've always shot right handed. The way I was taught was that you want your strongest hand at the bottom so you can get more flex/whip out of your stick when you shoot. I've broken many-a-sticks shooting, so it must've worked.

Skate sizes and shoe sizes don't really differ too much. I wear a 11.5 in Nike shoes and my Graf 705s are 10. The Bauer 7000 I used to have were 10.5. CCM tends to run a little big, if I remember correctly. I've never worn CCM skates because they're a little too wide. I love my Grafs though...suede on the inside and I skate barefoot, so it works out perfectly.

There's no hokey shops in the town I live in because there's no hockey rink, which sucks. I played roller hockey for a couple of years when I first got to Abilene, but it's just too slow and too hard for me to get in to. The hockey shop in the rink I used to play at most in Phoenix had a Player's Bench in it for a while, but it didn't do too well because everyone went to Behind the Mask (owned by Randy Exelby, who used to be a pro goalie), so BTM bought the space in the rink.

Adopted Bronco:
    Stokley, Miller, Wolfe

Quote Originally Posted by King87 View Post
    I want to watch hockey but I have no idea at all what is going on in the rink. Hockey seems to be a sport loved by its fans, but it gets little coverage on ESPN and honestly I dont even know when the games are played.

Little help please?
    It is the best sport. If you ever have a chance go to one live game. That's what happened to me. There is no hockey where I grew up and I didn't understand anything at first. I went to one game and constant actions blew my mind away. What sealed the deal for me is how nice the Pro Hockey players are. Living in Denver I can go down to the practice center and usually get to talk to a few guys after practice and they are such down to earth people. So starting watching and have some fun. Go to nhl.com to get a feel of who's where and if you go the team web site they will list what channel the game is on. Here we have the games on Verse too.

17. The Following User High Fived pnbronco For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Bob Howsam

Quote Originally Posted by pnbronco View Post
    It is the best sport. If you ever have a chance go to one live game. That's what happened to me. There is no hockey where I grew up and I didn't understand anything at first. I went to one game and constant actions blew my mind away. What sealed the deal for me is how nice the Pro Hockey players are. Living in Denver I can go down to the practice center and usually get to talk to a few guys after practice and they are such down to earth people. So starting watching and have some fun. Go to nhl.com to get a feel of who's where and if you go the team web site they will list what channel the game is on. Here we have the games on Verse too.
    Hockey players are the most down to Earth athletes I've ever met.

My junior year of high school we went to the state championship and we played our game at America West Arena in downtown Phoenix. The day before the game we got to practice there so we could get used to the ice and how fast it was. After our practice, the San Jose Sharks were supposed to have their pre-game skate for their game later on in the evening against the Coyotes. Well, when we got off the ice I was the last one off and as I was exiting the ice Teemu Selanne (sp?) was standing there. I sat and talked to him for about 10 minutes. Great guy.

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information