Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Bell Unlikely to be traded

Calibroncogrl47 Guest

Default Bell Unlikely to be traded

A few teams uncomfortable with their tailback depth placed calls to the Broncos this weekend.

These teams noticed how the Broncos have moved Mike Bell to fullback. In 21st-century football, tailbacks carry the ball while fullbacks generally do not. Bell rushed for eight touchdowns and a 4.3 yard-per-carry average as a rookie backup last season.

Other teams wondered: Would the Broncos be interested in trading Bell?

Not likely. The Broncos want Bell to rotate with Cecil Sapp at fullback with the No. 1 offense. And they also want Bell as tailback protection.

"You get people that go down and the halfback's got to play the fullback position," coach Mike Shanahan said after the preseason game

Thursday against Arizona. "We've seen that happen here with a number of players - Reuben Droughns to name one. Mike Anderson could play both."
    For now, the Broncos are pleased with their tailback depth with Travis Henry as the starter, rookie Selvin Young as the backup and Andre Hall, who spent his rookie season last year on the Broncos' practice squad, as the No. 3 runner.

But the next NFL carry for both Young and Hall will be their first. Bell had 157 carries last year for 677 yards.

More than any other position, Broncos tailbacks are subject to produce-this-week-or-else pressure. Young and Hall are hot now, but with patience Bell may have a better chance to get a decent number of carries with the Broncos this year than he would by starting over with a new team.

Practice squad
    As expected, the Broncos re-signed No. 3 quarterback Darrell Hackney and seven others to their practice squad Sunday. Hackney showed enough arm strength and mobility during the preseason for the Broncos to invest more coaching in him. Hackney completed 10-of-22 passes for 113 yards in the preseason.

Also signed to the practice squad were center Greg Eslinger, former University of Colorado lineman Mark Fenton, defensive tackle Stephen Harris, receiver Glenn Martinez, tackle Cliff Washburn and safeties Steve Cargile and Roderick Rogers.

Bloom available
    Former CU receiver Jeremy Bloom went unclaimed Sunday after he was cut by Philadelphia.

If we play Mike Bell at fullback I will vomit continuously untill the end of our last game.

I'd rather release him than play him at fullback. I'd like to have him as #2 or #3 runningback but not at fullback.

As I understand the situation there are five conditional offers on the table for Bell. If he stays a Bronco he will be a FB/emergency RB like Mike Anderson. Shanahan is giving him the choice of staying or picking where he wants to go.

Adopted Bronco:
    Mister Cobble

Quote Originally Posted by Nas View Post
    Shanny with the poker face!

In all seriousness though, I would be disappointed if we traded Bell. It would be nice if we had an extra draft pick... but I'm sure it'll be pathetic (5th rd) and not worth it IMO.
    Well seeing as he was undrafted and he likely won't play much this season anyway, a 5th round pick for him wouldn't be that bad. I like our RB/FB depth even w/o Bell.

Shanny with the poker face!

In all seriousness though, I would be disappointed if we traded Bell. It would be nice if we had an extra draft pick... but I'm sure it'll be pathetic (5th rd) and not worth it IMO.
    A 5th round pick would be better than the pick we used to get him...which was no pick at all.

We have a plethora of running backs, and I wouldn't mind seeing him traded.

I like him...but I wouldn't mind seeing him go.

Admin on the "other" site, still your friendly Broncos fan

Adopted Bronco:
    only Von

I'd take the draft pick.

I don't see how he is big enough to play FB anyways.

We do have a logjam at RB but 5th round? Ugh. I'm a big believer in drafting well but how many of those second day guys even make the team? Not just Denver, all over the league?

A veteran DT I wouldn't mind as much, but a second day pick like that? No thanks.
    Some notable recent, 5th round picks:

2006: Mark Anderson, DE, Chicago
    2005: Trent Cole, DE Philly
    2004: Michael Turner, RB, San Diego
    2003: Robert Mathis, DE, Indy

While there's not tons of talent...there is talent available in the fifth round....

Admin on the "other" site, still your friendly Broncos fan

So with the signing of Rice, does this maybe lean towards Bell being closer to the shelf?

I was thinking that the move to FB was more for his development.

After RD was there he said it helped him to understand the blocking scheme and the play development.

You all saw how it raised his level of play. Could be they were thinking the same thing for him and Sapp.

Adopted Bronco:
    Mighty Quinn

Quote Originally Posted by Dean View Post
    As I understand the situation there are five conditional offers on the table for Bell. If he stays a Bronco he will be a FB/emergency RB like Mike Anderson. Shanahan is giving him the choice of staying or picking where he wants to go.

Thanks for the info, Dean, that gives it perspective....If he's traded it's because he wanted to go.
    "Tuning ... into each other ... lift all higher”
    “I’m just different!”

Sign Garbage Minshew.

Draft
    1st round— Cooper Dejean CB
    2nd round— Jack Sawyer OLB
    3rd round— Will Shipley RB
    4th round— Ricky Pearsall WR
    5th round— Ladd McKonkey WR
    6th round— Cash Jones RB
    7th round— Carson Steele RB

We do need a roster spot now to make room for Rice.

Default Bell could join Jets

This was posted earlier today. I'm pretty sure the Packers are out of the running since they just traded away a draft pick for a runningback yesterday. I wonder if this is a legit deal with the Jets?

http://www.nj.com/sports/ledger/inde...660.xml&coll=1

The dream lives on for rookie free-agent cornerback Manny Collins.

The former Rutgers and Plainfield High player was named to the Jets' practice squad yesterday, according to someone who is in regular contact with Jets officials. That person spoke on the condition of anonymity because the Jets haven't released the members of their five-player squad.

Rookie free-agent running back Danny Ware and rookie free-agent guard Robert Turner were also named to the squad.

Collins, a late signee, caught the Jets' attention from the outset and kept it with his air-tight coverage and competitiveness. He also showed up big on special teams.

The release of Ware was a major surprise, but the Jets quickly brought him back. Turner has been quietly making his mark. The team has two more slots to fill.

Note: Former Jets DE Kimo von Oelfhoffen signed a one-year contract with the Eagles. ... The Jets are rumored to be interested in Broncos RB Mike Bell. ... Veteran TE Sean Ryan might be on the trading block. ... The Jets continue to eye the veteran left-guard market.

-- Dave Hutchinson
    "Oh I’m sorry, did I break your concentration?”
    Jules Winnfield - Pulp Fiction

Adopted Bronco:
    Demaryius Thomas

I like Mike Bell and if we keep him I know that's makes us very deep and solid behind Henry. However, if the Jets rumor proves to be true I wouldn't fault Denver for trading him. It would give him a chance to carry the ball something he's not going to get much opportunity to do now that he's behind Henry and Young.

Adopted Bronco:
    Mighty Quinn

Default If Bell is smart he won't go to the Bengals....

Their RB's are jinxed....
    "Tuning ... into each other ... lift all higher”
    “I’m just different!”

Sign Garbage Minshew.

Draft
    1st round— Cooper Dejean CB
    2nd round— Jack Sawyer OLB
    3rd round— Will Shipley RB
    4th round— Ricky Pearsall WR
    5th round— Ladd McKonkey WR
    6th round— Cash Jones RB
    7th round— Carson Steele RB

Adopted Bronco:
    broncos_mtnman

Quote Originally Posted by Calibroncogrl47 View Post

Bloom available
    Former CU receiver Jeremy Bloom went unclaimed Sunday after he was cut by Philadelphia.
    Bring him in.

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information