Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Elway Says Brandon Marshall Should Be Careful

Adopted Bronco:
    Phillip, Demaryius, Derek, Shane, Von,

Default Elway Says Brandon Marshall Should Be Careful

http://cbs4denver.com/broncos/marsha...2.1198003.html

DENVER (CBS4) - John Elway is impressed with how the 2009 Broncos are improving two games into the season, especially the defense.

The one Bronco the Hall of Fame quarterback doesn't seem terribly impressed with so far? Brandon Marshall.

Speaking on his weekly segment of Gary Miller and Vic Lombardi's Sports Insiders radio show, Elway said he thinks the disgruntled receiver needs to be very careful about his game preparation and on-field effort as the season continues.

Marshall wasn't on the field in the second quarter of Sunday's 27-6 win over the Cleveland Browns, possibly because of errors made in early in the game. He wound up with 3 catches for 34 yards and was called for offensive holding in the fourth quarter.

"I have heard at some times he doesn't finish routes and doesn't run hard routes all the time," Elway said of Marshall.

"I think Brandon at some point in time needs to realize that (the coaches) are not going to put up with missed assignments and loafing on the back side and not blocking and doing the types of things that you need to do to win."

Broncos coach Josh McDaniels already suspended Marshall for the last stretch of the preseason after he appeared to be not giving his full effort in practice and complaining about his contract.

"They've butted heads a couple of times already and I think that we've seen that (head coach Josh) McDaniels is going to win every time," Elway said.

While Elway's former teammates Shannon Sharpe and Rod Smith have both reportedly met with Marshall this year and given him pointers on his situation, Elway said he hasn't actually even ever met him in person.

"Until Brandon realizes that he's not going to win this battle, he'd better put his head in that playbook and make sure that he's running the right routes."

Elway says that if Marshall wants to make big money and sign as a free agent with another team, this should be his best year in the pros.

"He's not proven (he deserves) that so far," Elway said.

Thanks to MasterShake for my great signature
    Rest in Peace - Demaryius (88) - Darrent (27) - Damien (29) - Kenny (11)
    #7 - JOHN - #44 - FLOYD - #80 - ROD
    THIS ONES FOR JOHN
    WOULD YOU RATHER WIN UGLY, OR LOSE PRETTY?

Adopted Bronco:
    Ray Finkel

Elway says that if Marshall wants to make big money and sign as a free agent with another team, this should be his best year in the pros.
    That is the BEST advice that Brandon should take under consideration. If he doesnt want to be here, ok, but your only hurting your stock right now by acting and playing poorly.

3. The Following 6 Users High Fived Northman For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Sammy Winder

He should be talking to Randy Moss. If there was ever a guy who turned from a lazy *******, primidonna into a team oriented, hard working player, it's Moss. The change in that guy is amazing. Brandon could learn a thing or two from him...or maybe not. I'm not so sure there is too much going on between Brandon's ears.
    "Chickens are dope..." - Von Miller

5. The Following 7 Users High Fived EastCoastBronco For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Von Miller, Peyton's Neck

For the sake of the team and for BMarsh's talent, I hope he turns it around. It does seem to me that he seems a little disoriented on the field still. But, with his skill level as a player, he should still be able to get open and he really isn't. I'm not sure what this is all about.
    Thanks Shake!

7. The Following 2 Users High Fived Dirk For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Paul George

Quote Originally Posted by EastCoastBronco View Post
    He should be talking to Randy Moss. If there was ever a guy who turned from a lazy *******, primidonna into a team oriented, hard working player, it's Moss. The change in that guy is amazing. Brandon could learn a thing or two from him...or maybe not. I'm not so sure there is too much going on between Brandon's ears.
    I've actually wondered if the didn't talk to Moss.

In Oakland Moss was labelled by his coaches as unable to run anymore. Lazy. In other words a no-good ne'er-do-well. Then the Pats pick him up for a song, and he's a pro-bowler again.

Seems Moss figured out how to get out of Oakland. Probably didn't help his bank account much, but it didn't hurt him getting out of there to a championship team.

Quote Originally Posted by Denver Native (Carol) View Post
    "I have heard at some times he doesn't finish routes and doesn't run hard routes all the time," Elway said of Marshall.

"I think Brandon at some point in time needs to realize that (the coaches) are not going to put up with missed assignments and loafing on the back side and not blocking and doing the types of things that you need to do to win."

Broncos coach Josh McDaniels already suspended Marshall for the last stretch of the preseason after he appeared to be not giving his full effort in practice and complaining about his contract.

"They've butted heads a couple of times already and I think that we've seen that (head coach Josh) McDaniels is going to win every time," Elway said...
    "Until Brandon realizes that he's not going to win this battle, he'd better put his head in that playbook and make sure that he's running the right routes."...
    The Broncos have already won this battle just by capturing Marshall on that tape before suspending him. Any sympathy Marshall had was lost that day. McDaniels can now do pretty much what he wants to with regards to Marshall and there will be very little outcry, even from those who still scream for the coach's head at every opportunity. Marshall can either get with the program or watch as his value goes down because he gets sent to the bench time after time. I think it's pretty clear that McDaniels will live without Marshall on the field as his #1 receiver if he feels that's the better way to go. If Marshall thinks a 30-50 catch season is going to bring him big dollars on the open market, he's likely to be very disappointed.

Cutler's gone, the Broncos are in first place, and McDaniels is putting his stamp on the team. After next week, the tough stretch of the schedule kicks in. If the Broncos start dropping games (they could certainly end up 3-8 heading into the K.C. game) and Marshall is still performing the way he is now, the fans and media will be looking for a scapegoat, and he'll have all but volunteered for the part.

10. The Following 5 Users High Fived Tempus Fugit For This Post:

Yes Brandon, run your tail off.

We all know that Orton is going to lock onto his primary and never look your way, it's too much for his drunken brain to process.

You can be 30 yards open, it just doesn't matter.

What does matter ?

The effort.

Adopted Bronco:
    Mighty Quinn

Elway says that if Marshall wants to make big money and sign as a free agent with another team, this should be his best year in the pros. "He's not proven (he deserves) that so far," Elway said.

Sorry, I love John Elway, but this is bullshit, Marshall's on-field production is similar to Terrell Davis' when he got a contract extension, Rod Smith signed an extension before his first contract was expired as well.

Contrary to what he says (Or remembers), extending contracts is nothing new for Pat Bowlen, the fact that the Broncos have brought in the big guns to pimp the company line changes nothing, Marshall at least earned his way onto the bargaining table long before his meltdown.

John Elway is full of shit, the Broncos have every right to be selective with whom they give these extension to, but let's not pretend it never happens and let's not pretend that Marshall hasn't done enough on the field.......
    "Tuning ... into each other ... lift all higher”
    “I’m just different!”
    “ . . . Picture a cup in the middle of the sea”

Draft
    1st round— Cooper Dejean CB
    2nd round— Jack Sawyer OLB
    3rd round— Will Shipley RB
    4th round— Ricky Pearsall WR
    5th round— Ladd McKonkey WR
    6th round— Cash Jones RB
    7th round— Carson Steele RB

Guess he is trying to win back the fans tho. He was the only one that jumped off his golf cart to sign a few autographs. Gave me the opportunity to use my son and we received one . He only signed maybe 8 out of maybe 200 people out there. Luck of the draw for us. Even better if he stays with us and plays up to his potential in the future.

The other was Lamont Jordan. Photographed him while he was signing as well. He passed over my son tho To be honest, he didnt appear to be in a good mood. Couldn't put my finger on it but his body language was real negative
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0920091759.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	85.6 KB 
ID:	16   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0920091740.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	82.4 KB 
ID:	17  

Adopted Bronco:
    Mighty Quinn

Quote Originally Posted by Tempus Fugit View Post
    The Broncos have already won this battle just by capturing Marshall on that tape before suspending him. Any sympathy Marshall had was lost that day. McDaniels can now do pretty much what he wants to with regards to Marshall and there will be very little outcry, even from those who still scream for the coach's head at every opportunity. Marshall can either get with the program or watch as his value goes down because he gets sent to the bench time after time. I think it's pretty clear that McDaniels will live without Marshall on the field as his #1 receiver if he feels that's the better way to go. If Marshall thinks a 30-50 catch season is going to bring him big dollars on the open market, he's likely to be very disappointed.

Cutler's gone, the Broncos are in first place, and McDaniels is putting his stamp on the team. After next week, the tough stretch of the schedule kicks in. If the Broncos start dropping games (they could certainly end up 3-8 heading into the K.C. game) and Marshall is still performing the way he is now, the fans and media will be looking for a scapegoat, and he'll have all but volunteered for the part.
    Josh McDaniels took the leading role when he trade away the Franchise QB, nobody is stupid enough to blame a WR for a 3-8 record, especially when the Head Coach traded away the face of the franchise for a total stiff and a couple draft choices that have barely seen the field.

McDaniels started all this drama with "his stamp", don't get it twisted.......
    "Tuning ... into each other ... lift all higher”
    “I’m just different!”
    “ . . . Picture a cup in the middle of the sea”

Draft
    1st round— Cooper Dejean CB
    2nd round— Jack Sawyer OLB
    3rd round— Will Shipley RB
    4th round— Ricky Pearsall WR
    5th round— Ladd McKonkey WR
    6th round— Cash Jones RB
    7th round— Carson Steele RB

Quote Originally Posted by Link View Post
    Elway says that if Marshall wants to make big money and sign as a free agent with another team, this should be his best year in the pros. "He's not proven (he deserves) that so far," Elway said.

Sorry, I love John Elway, but this is bullshit, Marshall's on-field production is similar to Terrell Davis' when he got a contract extension, Rod Smith signed an extension before his first contract was expired as well.

Contrary to what he says (Or remembers), extending contracts is nothing new for Pat Bowlen, the fact that the Broncos have brought in the big guns to pimp the company line changes nothing, Marshall at least earned his way onto the bargaining table long before his meltdown.

John Elway is full of shit, the Broncos have every right to be selective with whom they give these extension to, but let's not pretend it never happens and let's not pretend that Marshall hasn't done enough on the field.......

all he said as far a I can see, is that brandon has not proven he deserves it.. I would guess he was factoring in his off the field issues and lack of maturity when he said that..

16. The Following 3 Users High Fived Lonestar For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Phillip, Demaryius, Derek, Shane, Von,

How many times have you heard someone say of a player who is in his FINAL year of a contract, that he is playing to get a NEW contract. That is what Elway meant

Thanks to MasterShake for my great signature
    Rest in Peace - Demaryius (88) - Darrent (27) - Damien (29) - Kenny (11)
    #7 - JOHN - #44 - FLOYD - #80 - ROD
    THIS ONES FOR JOHN
    WOULD YOU RATHER WIN UGLY, OR LOSE PRETTY?

Adopted Bronco:
    All of 'em

Neither of the two you mentioned were in court several times nor were they batting down balls in practice so they may have deserved and work a little harder than Marshall has.

In other words they deserved it.
    Merry.

19. The Following 2 Users High Fived Day1BroncoFan For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Miles

Judging by Marshall's response to not getting a new deal, do you think it was wrong for the orginization to hold off?

I think he's proven the Broncos FO right much more than wrong. He's acted like an immature punk. If he wanted to "prove" the FO wrong, he'd come in, work his ass off, keep his nose clean, and "prove" to the other 31 teams that he is worth big $$$.

If anything he's proven that he wasn't worth a huge contract. And he's done little or nothing to change that perception.
    Last edited by powderaddict; 09-22-2009 at 05:23 PM.
    The best powder is pure, dry, light fluffy Colorado powder!

21. The Following 3 Users High Fived powderaddict For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Malik Jackson

I just traded BMarsh for Ochocinco and Glen Coffee in my dynasty fantasy league. He is dead to me now.

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information