Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Prognosticating vs Reality

Default Prognosticating vs Reality

Ok, this is just my viewpoint, so fire away if you think I'm full of beans.

It would seem to me, that the Defense that nearly EVERYBODY was saying "couldn't be any worse than last year's", is actually doing BETTER THAN EXPECTED!

Take the Cinci game.

Most people looked at them coming into the game as possibly 'being back' to where they were before Carson got injured. They've got weapons at the QB spot, RB spot, Wr spot and TE spot. Their Oline was said to be above average at the least, in both run blocking and pass protecting.

But after the game, of course EVERYBODY that is slamming McD & co., could only come up with 'since they only scored 7 pts, they couldn't be THAT good!

Until, of course, we all see what they did today....versus Green Bay's Defense, which has taken everybody by storm, starting in the preseason. Led by one of the better D-minded heads, they were stopping the run, and getting turnovers at a breakneck pace. Until, that is, they played "the lowly bungels".

My viewpoint, is that the Defense is "rollin' with Nolan"! The Dline has went from one of the lightest in the league, to one of the heaviest....the LB's are just heady/quick enough to keep the plays in front of them...and the secondary is forcing the QB's to hold onto the ball longer than they want to, which means more chances for the Dline to get a TFL/Sack/Fumble.

Palmer looked almost pedestrian vs Denver.....but lit up Green Bay....IN Green Bay. That tells me something.

Wk1
    Palmer 21-33 237 No TD's 2INT's
    Benson 21-76
    Running game 3.2avg

Vs GB.
    Palmer 15-23 185 3TD's 2INT's
    Benson 29-141
    Running game 4.4avg

I'd say that even with the '1st game jitters', Denver's D is doing BETTER THAN EXPECTED, and can continue to get better.

Adopted Bronco:
    Number 7

No question, our defense couldn't have been worse than last year. And is FAR better than expected. I heard the commentators today say that our Dline is among the heaviest in the league now. Kind of amazing turnaround in one offseason. And they are effective as well. I was among the skeptics about Doom being a backer... I'm wrong, and happy to be so.
    Good stats on the comparison between Cincy this week vs last. Week in, week out, this may change, but we only have one other week to compare with right now, and GB DOES have a good D. Good line, good backers... For NOW, I'll take this comparison to our D against how GB did as a positive.
    "What do you want your dash to represent?"

3. The Following 6 Users High Fived gobroncsnv For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Ray Finkel

I think you have some merit with your arguement but i also think there is a lot of parity in the league where teams are up and down with their consistency. I think GB really took Cincy for granted most likely based off of what happened with us. Time will tell i guess as the season progresses.

5. The Following User High Fived Northman For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Drew Lock

Oh please. This defense is like the Super Broncos. Nobody could ask for more.

A new scheme alone can do wonders even without a change of personnel, and we all know the last scheme was a trainwreck.

Like playing Doom to his strengths, a more versatile LB than a straight up DE?

Even if the D was mediocre I'd have been happy, but after two games the Squad has exceeded all possible expectations.

If they can keep this up all year and play good if not great defense, Denver will beat teams that we all never would've dreamed they'd win this year, and that can take them into January.

Defense baby. Defense.
    "I may not be a mathematician, but I can count to a million." - Shannon Sharpe

7. The Following 7 Users High Fived Shazam! For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Phillip, Demaryius, Derek, Shane, Von,

Vic Lombardi just said that the Broncos D is ranked THIRD in the NFL after all of today's games

Thanks to MasterShake for my great signature
    Rest in Peace - Demaryius (88) - Darrent (27) - Damien (29) - Kenny (11)
    #7 - JOHN - #44 - FLOYD - #80 - ROD
    THIS ONES FOR JOHN
    WOULD YOU RATHER WIN UGLY, OR LOSE PRETTY?

9. The Following 7 Users High Fived Denver Native (Carol) For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    only Von

Hopefully they're for real and it's not just because we've played one inconsistent but good offense and one consistently bad one.

Either way, 2-0 is good.

Quote Originally Posted by Denver Native (Carol) View Post
    Vic Lombardi just said that the Broncos D is ranked THIRD in the NFL after all of today's games
    that's by yards... we are 1st in scoring defense
    Quote Originally Posted by Buff View Post
    I don't know much about anything. In fact, I am one of the dumbest people alive.

12. The Following User High Fived shank For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Baron Browning, Jaleel McLaughlin

i'm eager to see how long they can keep this pace up, and how they perform against talented offenses like dallas and san diego in the next month. . . .

“When we do find that guy, we’ve got to have the continuity on the offensive side to where we can train him and develop him and get him there. This is our fourth offense in probably three or four years. Quarterbacks need to be developed. You don’t find one ready-made. We got to have a solid system in place for when we do go after whatever guy it may be, a young guy or a trade or whatnot.”
    - John Elway

14. The Following 8 Users High Fived dogfish For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    All of 'em

Only 13 points allowed so far. Who'd a thought that a month ago? Not me?
    Merry.

16. The Following 4 Users High Fived Day1BroncoFan For This Post:

I suspect after a few games folks will game plan against them.. the first few games no body has any game tape on them.. now they do the good OC will start to game plan around the weaknesses..

I find it hard to believe that we would be one of the heaviest DL and some as some teams NT weigh more that our DL does..

IIRC they are all about 305-315..

Now that is a HUGE upgrade from years past but.. I find it hard to believe we are one of the biggest..

I suspect they will end the year in the top 20 maybe 15, because there is not alot of depth and IF the O does not start winning the TOP issue big time they will still wear down.. Even IF technique is on the moon they have a long schedule and not much Quality depth.. But then again more than last year..

Doomerville I am pleasantly surprised about I said years ago he was not going to be a great DE to small to play more than passing downs.. I think they have found a good home for him @OLB..

18. The Following 4 Users High Fived Lonestar For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Day1BroncoFan View Post
    Only 13 points allowed so far. Who'd a thought that a month ago? Not me?

I was concerned it would be 13 per quarter that would have made me happy.. especially agansit a healthy Plamer..

20. The Following User High Fived Lonestar For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Drew Lock

I think Mangini had at least an idea knowing of what they would do JR. He's played Baltimore and Nolan's defenses before.
    "I may not be a mathematician, but I can count to a million." - Shannon Sharpe

Adopted Bronco:
    Rick Upchurch

A lot of people had us going 3-0 to start out. The Bengals were strangely piss-poor and we totally lucked out on that game; and beating up on the Browns is just more tough love hailing back to the Elway-years. Hell, everyone should have seen those stats on their passing capabilities; last in every single category. Quickly followed by a shot of Derek Anderson treading the sideline...

Next we get Oakland and JaMarcus can't throw for shit Russell. I think we can beat Oakland if Russell keeps overthrowing screen passes and being all-around terrible.

After these three games comes the real schedule as far as I'm concerned. What we can see thus far is that we're not so bad as to lose to the Browns at home; the Bengals game still has me wondering, though, considering the win was like surviving a skydive in which your parachute failed.
    How's your burger, bro? - Ancient proverb

23. The Following 2 Users High Fived NameUsedBefore For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Shazam! View Post
    I think Mangini had at least an idea knowing of what they would do JR. He's played Baltimore and Nolan's defenses before.

but not with Nolan calling the blitzes with our guys..

But I suspect that CLE is not a world beating O either.. and IIRC Mangini is a rookie HC in CLE.. after how many other failures there.. It may take him some time to get it turned around.. IF IT CAN BE..

25. The Following User High Fived Lonestar For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by NameUsedBefore View Post
    A lot of people had us going 3-0 to start out. The Bengals were strangely piss-poor and we totally lucked out on that game; and beating up on the Browns is just more tough love hailing back to the Elway-years. Hell, everyone should have seen those stats on their passing capabilities; last in every single category. Quickly followed by a shot of Derek Anderson treading the sideline...

Next we get Oakland and JaMarcus can't throw for shit Russell. I think we can beat Oakland if Russell keeps overthrowing screen passes and being all-around terrible.

After these three games comes the real schedule as far as I'm concerned. What we can see thus far is that we're not so bad as to lose to the Browns at home; the Bengals game still has me wondering, though, considering the win was like surviving a skydive in which your parachute failed.

right now I see us losing in OAK while jamarcus is a lousy QB overall he can get hot and there D is not all that bad.. they looked pretty good against SAN today and they are supposed to be the class of the WEST..

I only got to see some of the SAN game but OAK was holding their own and KO is not a rivers type QB either..

I had us losing in CIN winning CLE and losing in OAK to start with..

1-2 after this OAK game

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information