Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Greatest Songwriters of All Time

Adopted Bronco:
    only Von

My TVZ love is mostly for 1 album.

I've listened off an on to his other works, his studio albums, other live performances. But this album is the cream of the crop. I like his studio versions fine, but I don't find them half as endearing as this live album. I also generally am not a fan of live albums, but there's something special about this one. It's the songs (even if I don't love every single one of them), the discussions in between the songs, the setting, the sound of people chatting in the background, just everything about it contributes to a "slice of life" album. On the right day it's my goat album.

In July 1973, Van Zandt performed a string of shows over five sweltering nights at the Old Quarter bar owned by Rex ("Wrecks") Bell and Dale Soffar that were recorded on a portable four-track by Earl Willis, the album's producer and engineer. They would eventually be released four years later by Van Zandt's previous producer and manager Kevin Eggers on his new Tomato Records label. The liner notes describe the recording as the "Rosetta Stone" of Texas music. One can hear Van Zandt's influences in covers by artists like Bo Diddley, Texas bluesman Lightnin' Hopkins, and country picker Merle Travis. Van Zandt's most famous works can also be heard, such as "If I Needed You" and "Pancho and Lefty" played to an audience not already familiar with these songs. The singer's laconic banter and corny jokes are also on full display. The album is also noted for the intimacy of the performance, with Van Zandt taking the stage alone and accompanying himself on guitar as he did thousands of times during his career. In the 2007 biography To Live's To Fly: The Ballad of the Late, Great Townes Van Zandt, John Kruth writes that Van Zandt played "to nearly a hundred folks per set, packed shoulder to shoulder within the bar's bare brick walls. The room was so jammed that it was impossible for a waitress to wend her way through the crowd to take drink orders. People had to pass money hand over fist and wait, in hopes that a mug of cold beer would eventually find its way back to them." Van Zandt is introduced by Dale Soffar and, after apologizing for the busted air conditioning, performs a gentle reading of "Pancho and Lefty", describing how he wrote the song while traveling near Dallas with Daniel Antopolsky. At the end of the song, the singer remarks, "I've never heard it so quiet in here." The photograph on the album cover was shot by Steve Salmieri.

2. The Following User High Fived aberdien For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Mighty Quinn

Eminem
    "Tuning ... into each other ... lift all higher”
    “I’m just different!”
    “ . . . Picture a cup in the middle of the sea”

Draft
    1st round— Cooper Dejean CB
    2nd round— Jack Sawyer OLB
    3rd round— Will Shipley RB
    4th round— Ricky Pearsall WR
    5th round— Ladd McKonkey WR
    6th round— Cash Jones RB
    7th round— Carson Steele RB

Adopted Bronco:
    Mighty Quinn

Quote Originally Posted by Simple Jaded View Post
    Eminem
    I mean . . it’s just Eminem.
    "Tuning ... into each other ... lift all higher”
    “I’m just different!”
    “ . . . Picture a cup in the middle of the sea”

Draft
    1st round— Cooper Dejean CB
    2nd round— Jack Sawyer OLB
    3rd round— Will Shipley RB
    4th round— Ricky Pearsall WR
    5th round— Ladd McKonkey WR
    6th round— Cash Jones RB
    7th round— Carson Steele RB

Adopted Bronco:
    Rey

Taylor Swift

6. The Following User High Fived Valar Morghulis For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    only Von

Quote Originally Posted by Valar Morghulis View Post
    Taylor Swift
    I'm kinda off the Taylor Swift bangwagon these days.

1. She's a Chief
    2. She releases like 7 alternate versions of each album which forces fans to buy more music than necessary - I respect the hustle but I personally find it annoying
    3. Her culty fans are bad
    4. Her newest music sucks musically and lyrically

She has a new album out in a month, the title and it's tracklist sound very cringe. I am expecting it to suck.

All that to say, yes she is a great songwriter, and her earlier music + folklore/evermore goes hard, but she's jumped the shark a bit for me.

Adopted Bronco:
    Rey

Folklore and Evermore were masterpieces!

The rest I can take or leave - but even in amongst her shit songs are often really good lyrics

9. The Following User High Fived Valar Morghulis For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Demaryius Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by aberdien View Post
    I'm kinda off the Taylor Swift bangwagon these days.

1. She's a Chief
    2. She releases like 7 alternate versions of each album which forces fans to buy more music than necessary - I respect the hustle but I personally find it annoying
    3. Her culty fans are bad
    4. Her newest music sucks musically and lyrically

She has a new album out in a month, the title and it's tracklist sound very cringe. I am expecting it to suck.

All that to say, yes she is a great songwriter, and her earlier music + folklore/evermore goes hard, but she's jumped the shark a bit for me.
    I just find her music to be painfully boring. I can't listen to it. I like a cover of the song Anti-hero, but even with that song I find her version to be so bland and boring, the cover version blows it out of the water to my ears.
    Let's Rid3!!!!

Adopted Bronco:
    only Von

Quote Originally Posted by chazoe60 View Post
    I just find her music to be painfully boring. I can't listen to it. I like a cover of the song Anti-hero, but even with that song I find her version to be so bland and boring, the cover version blows it out of the water to my ears.
    Yeah, I think Anti-Hero is boring musically and lyrically, and kindof actively bad. Most songs off of her most recent album are like that.

Evermore and Folklore are lyrically and musically good, along with Red and Fearless IMO, but the rest of her albums are more like Anti-Hero...kinda bland pop music with lyrics that are wordy and obvious.

Adopted Bronco:
    Javonte Williams

Quote Originally Posted by aberdien View Post
    My TVZ love is mostly for 1 album.

I've listened off an on to his other works, his studio albums, other live performances. But this album is the cream of the crop. I like his studio versions fine, but I don't find them half as endearing as this live album. I also generally am not a fan of live albums, but there's something special about this one. It's the songs (even if I don't love every single one of them), the discussions in between the songs, the setting, the sound of people chatting in the background, just everything about it contributes to a "slice of life" album. On the right day it's my goat album.
    I've given this one a few spins. It has a magical vibe, I agree.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sting
    "You know cos I just lost my parents--both my parents died in the same year...to this day, people come up to me and say 'my dad died and that album really meant a lot to me,' which is very nourishing {pats heart} for a songwriter to hear that your songs have a utility beyond just their own solace, that it actually helps other people."

13. The Following User High Fived Hawgdriver For This Post:

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information