Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Give it a rest on George

Adopted Bronco:
    DT

Quote Originally Posted by Elevation inc View Post
    GP, he brought Russ on in March of 22. ownership was Aug of 2022.
    The contract, specifically. He got the financial albatross in September, immediately following change in ownership

2. The Following 2 Users High Fived Davii For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Phillip, Demaryius, Derek, Shane, Von,

Default Greg Penner: Winning will drive Russell Wilson contract decision

The Denver Broncos have a massive decision at quarterback this offseason; will they bring back highly-paid veteran Russell Wilson or eat his contract before the extension even kicks in? And the best news for Broncos fans is that the only factor in this move is winning.

Seemingly the decision on Wilson was already made when he was benched by Sean Payton for what the coach claims are football reasons. However, it seems as though an ask to adjust contract language, which turned into a feud, was the real reason for Wilson’s benching.

Wilson had an injury guarantee for the 2025 season worth $37 million as part of his five-year $250 million deal. That guarantee would automatically become guaranteed in March if he had been hurt but now the Broncos will get their choice on it since he’s healthy. The change in his contract was first discussed after Wilson’s most memorable win as a Bronco—a three-touchdown performance to lead the orange and blue past KC, killing their 16-game winning streak against Denver. Wilson and all the other sides have confirmed parts of this story.

Now Wilson, 35, is likely to be let go before his mega contract extension even kicks in, leaving the Broncos with over $80 million in dead money on their salary cap either for next season or split over the next two. And obviously, there’s $165 million in guarantees to Wilson that Broncos ownership would have to pony-up to a guy they don’t plan to play any more snaps.

“The financial part of it is a significant component as you know, in terms of how this works out in the future, but that’s not what will drive the decision,” team owner Greg Penner said on Tuesday. “That decision will be driven by what’s in the best interest of this football team winning games.”
    rest - https://denversports.com/2110240/gre...lson-contract/

Adopted Bronco:
    Mighty Quinn

Bye Felicia
    "Tuning ... into each other ... lift all higher”
    “I’m just different!”
    “ . . . Picture a cup in the middle of the sea”

Draft
    1st round— Cooper Dejean CB
    2nd round— Jack Sawyer OLB
    3rd round— Will Shipley RB
    4th round— Ricky Pearsall WR
    5th round— Ladd McKonkey WR
    6th round— Cash Jones RB
    7th round— Carson Steele RB

5. The Following User High Fived Simple Jaded For This Post:

Seriously

Hired ******* Hackett
    Traded mass draft picks for a midget QB who can't see over the oline
    Pay Crust a bazillion $$ before even taking a ******* snap in Denver, while he still had 2 years left on his deal!
    Penner didn't even hire him

I bet he gets canned when the draft prep is done. Like the night before

7. The Following 3 Users High Fived tubby For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Quinn Meinerz

The cap hits the next two years will be brutal. One of Cushenberry, Jewell, Locke, or Lutz potentially nets a 4th round compensatory pick next year since no FAs will likely be signed until after the draft.

Justin Simmons is a name to watch that gets either cut or traded. The Seahawks just cut both their safeties today, so it wouldn't shock me to see something similar happen to Simmons given the cap situation. ($14.5 million saved)
    Tim Patrick will be cut ($9.5M saved)
    Jeudy will almost certainly be traded for peanuts. ($13 million saved)
    DJ Jones will be cut or traded. ($10 million saved)

The following can be restructured:
    Allen ($9.4M)
    McGlinchey ($10.4M)
    Sutton ($6M)
    Powers ($7.2M)

It's not completely out of the realm of possibility the Broncos could find a way to eat everything this year, since the above comes out to $80M. Bolles extension could free up even more room, ditto for Sutton.

Things are bad, but they aren't insurmountable cap wise.

Paton has done a great job in the draft. This team should never again trade with the Seahawks again, since it has now been a bust 3 consecutive times in a major way:
    Josh McDaniels sent a future first (Earl Thomas) to move into the 2nd for Alphonso Smith (BUST)
    Elway traded up with the Seahawks to take Paxton Lynch
    George Paton conducted the Russell Wilson trade

9. The Following 3 Users High Fived UnderArmour For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Kay Adams

Quote Originally Posted by BroncoNut View Post
    They wouldnt even look my way
    IDK, I’ve seen ownership wag their tails a few times!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Day1BroncoFan View Post
    I'm happier than tom brady in a gay bar....

Adopted Bronco:
    Ron Dayne

Quote Originally Posted by BroncoJoe View Post
    I'd challenge any one of you to apply for a GM position with an NFL team. Here's a hint: They'd laugh you out of the building.

George isn't as bad as many of you claim. Is the the best in the business? No, but he's done a pretty good job.

Give it a rest and stop spamming the board with GP bashing posts. Y'all are making this place unreadable.
    The only break I will give him is that the new owners forced him to sign Wilson to an extension before he took a snap.

Adopted Bronco:
    DT you will be missed

Quote Originally Posted by UnderArmour View Post
    The cap hits the next two years will be brutal. One of Cushenberry, Jewell, Locke, or Lutz potentially nets a 4th round compensatory pick next year since no FAs will likely be signed until after the draft.

Justin Simmons is a name to watch that gets either cut or traded. The Seahawks just cut both their safeties today, so it wouldn't shock me to see something similar happen to Simmons given the cap situation. ($14.5 million saved)
    Tim Patrick will be cut ($9.5M saved)
    Jeudy will almost certainly be traded for peanuts. ($13 million saved)
    DJ Jones will be cut or traded. ($10 million saved)

The following can be restructured:
    Allen ($9.4M)
    McGlinchey ($10.4M)
    Sutton ($6M)
    Powers ($7.2M)

It's not completely out of the realm of possibility the Broncos could find a way to eat everything this year, since the above comes out to $80M. Bolles extension could free up even more room, ditto for Sutton.

Things are bad, but they aren't insurmountable cap wise.

Paton has done a great job in the draft. This team should never again trade with the Seahawks again, since it has now been a bust 3 consecutive times in a major way:
    Josh McDaniels sent a future first (Earl Thomas) to move into the 2nd for Alphonso Smith (BUST)
    Elway traded up with the Seahawks to take Paxton Lynch
    George Paton conducted the Russell Wilson trade
    great post except for the Paton has done a great job in the draft part.....he really hasn't.
    Denver's 2024 George Paton Draft/FA plan

Draft
    RD1- TE Brock Bowers, GA
    RD3- QB Spencer Rattler, SC
    RD4- CB Josh Newton, TCU
    RD5- S Reggie Pearson, OK
    RD5- C Michael Jurgens, Wake Forest
    RD6- K Jonah Dalmas, Boise St

FA
    1. With what money

Adopted Bronco:
    Quinn Meinerz

Quote Originally Posted by Elevation inc View Post
    great post except for the Paton has done a great job in the draft part.....he really hasn't.
    I like Mims.
    I like Bonitto.
    I love PS2.
    I love Meinerz.
    I love Browning.
    I love Cooper.

But yeah, mixed bag since 21. Some of these picks where they were made are incredible picks, but not having a first makes it hard to judge him too harshly on draft classes.

14. The Following 2 Users High Fived UnderArmour For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Demaryius Thomas

I like Mims.
    I like Bonitto.
    I love PS2.
    I love Meinerz.
    I love Browning.
    I love Cooper.

But yeah, mixed bag since 21. Some of these picks where they were made are incredible picks, but not having a first makes it hard to judge him too harshly on draft classes.
    All those guys other than PS2 and Meinerz are rotational/depth types.
    Let's Rid3!!!!

Adopted Bronco:
    Quinn Meinerz

Quote Originally Posted by chazoe60 View Post
    All those guys other than PS2 and Meinerz are rotational/depth types.
    We will see what other teams think of Cooper, Browning, and Bonitto when they hit the market. I feel all are every bit as good as guys who have gotten paid. I would take all 3 over Chase Young, Von Miller, or Randy Gregory. How many NFL teams actually have better situations than the Broncos do at this position when you take finances into account?

17. The Following User High Fived UnderArmour For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Demaryius Thomas

We will see what other teams think of Cooper, Browning, and Bonitto when they hit the market. I feel all are every bit as good as guys who have gotten paid. I would take all 3 over Chase Young, Von Miller, or Randy Gregory. How many NFL teams actually have better situations than the Broncos do at this position when you take finances into account?
    I can get behind that. I do love Coop. He has a very high motor. I would love to see how much better that group would look with a big space eater in the middle chewing up blockers.

The guy I love in the draft (would need a 2nd rounder probably, but I think we ultimately end up with a 2nd rounder) is Tevondre (sp?) Sweat from Texas. His teammate is going in the first round and deservedly so, but a huge reason Murphy looked so good was because the big man next to him was a real problem. I love that dude and he is going to be an absolute steal for someone if he lasts into the second like most mocks have him doing. That guy just eats up blockers.
    Let's Rid3!!!!

19. The Following 2 Users High Fived chazoe60 For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Mighty Quinn

It’s never good when the best you can say for a player is “He has a very high motor”.

Broncos need Browning and Bonitto to stay healthy. Dallas Turner at 12 wouldn’t hurt either.
    Last edited by Simple Jaded; 03-07-2024 at 08:12 PM.
    "Tuning ... into each other ... lift all higher”
    “I’m just different!”
    “ . . . Picture a cup in the middle of the sea”

Draft
    1st round— Cooper Dejean CB
    2nd round— Jack Sawyer OLB
    3rd round— Will Shipley RB
    4th round— Ricky Pearsall WR
    5th round— Ladd McKonkey WR
    6th round— Cash Jones RB
    7th round— Carson Steele RB

21. The Following User High Fived Simple Jaded For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Dogfish

Quote Originally Posted by Simple Jaded View Post
    It’s never good when the best you can say for a player is “He has a very high motor”.

Broncos need Browning and Bonitto to stay healthy. Dallas Turner at 12 wouldn’t hurt either.
    Yep. It's great when that motor is paired with another measurable. Like "He's a huge NT and has a high motor," you're thinking oh shit we're going to shut down the run game. Or "He has a quick burst and a very high motor." By itself I think of good college LB's that are depth dudes in the NFL.

Bonitto can ball, imo. But you can't have enough rushers. This is my truth.

23. The Following User High Fived King87 For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Demaryius Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by King87 View Post
    Yep. It's great when that motor is paired with another measurable. Like "He's a huge NT and has a high motor," you're thinking oh shit we're going to shut down the run game. Or "He has a quick burst and a very high motor." By itself I think of good college LB's that are depth dudes in the NFL.

Bonitto can ball, imo. But you can't have enough rushers. This is my truth.
    You just described T'Vondre Sweat. He's a huge NT with more athleticism than makes sense with my knowledge of physics and he has a high motor. Dude is an extremely good player especially against the run.
    My concern is the same I have for all guys that size, his health. Carrying that much weight is risky for a great many reasons. He very well may have a career like that big old fat boy from NE back in the day, name escapes me, but he could flame out quick from getting too big or from health/injury problems. That's my one and only concern with Sweat as a player. That dude is a beast.
    Let's Rid3!!!!

25. The Following 2 Users High Fived chazoe60 For This Post:

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information