Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Give it a rest on George

They wouldnt even look my way

2. The Following User High Fived BroncoNut For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Ja’Quan McMillian

Quote Originally Posted by Elevation inc View Post
    GP, he brought Russ on in March of 22. ownership was Aug of 2022.
    It was both. The extension was Sept 1st of 2022, just before the season started. No way any GM would approve that extension without running by an owner(s) first.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/...ed-sources-say

4. The Following User High Fived R8R H8R For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    PS2

Quote Originally Posted by R8R H8R View Post
    It was both. The extension was Sept 1st of 2022, just before the season started. No way any GM would approve that extension without running by an owner(s) first.

I was also under the impression that the extension was part of the trade. Russ wouldn’t have agreed to the trade without him getting an extension being agreed to. Not saying the details were worked out, but I’m sure a gentleman’s agreement was in place between the Broncos and Russ’ agent for Russ to waive his no trade clause and come to Denver. The holdup was the ownership situation (the guys actually playing the bill) on Russ getting the new contract. That’s how I understood it, anyway.

“Tact is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip.” -Winston Churchill

6. The Following User High Fived HORSEPOWER 56 For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Ja’Quan McMillian

Quote Originally Posted by HORSEPOWER 56 View Post
    I was also under the impression that the extension was part of the trade. Russ wouldn’t have agreed to the trade without him getting an extension being agreed to. Not saying the details were worked out, but I’m sure a gentleman’s agreement was in place between the Broncos and Russ’ agent for Russ to waive his no trade clause and come to Denver. The holdup was the ownership situation (the guys actually playing the bill) on Russ getting the new contract. That’s how I understood it, anyway.
    I think that was speculation, and not necessarily substantive. Not saying it didn’t happen, but the local media would’ve known it. All I heard is some media were for a extension, and fewer was against it. Those who were for it were basing it solely on his Seattle reputation. Either way, I never heard there was a verbal agreement.

But I have heard that WPG approached GP about it, not the other way around. The thinking was they wanted to start with a splash and show there weren’t treating this like a Walmart store. Nonetheless, even if untrue, the extension was welcomed by many, again, because of his Seattle rep.
    Last edited by R8R H8R; 01-24-2024 at 11:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by BroncoJoe View Post
    Agree wholeheartedly. BUT, hindsight is 20/20. We all thought it was a pretty good decision at the time.
    Not me, I hated it. We see a lot of Seattle football here since they quit televising Denver here. I genuinely hated the trade.

9. The Following 2 Users High Fived Al Wilson 4 Mayor For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    DT you will be missed

Quote Originally Posted by BroncoJoe View Post
    Remind me again if it's your money he's spending?

I watch the Broncos because I enjoy it. If they win, great. If not, oh well. Doesn't affect my life like some of you. Do you not have anything else to care about? Broncos are pretty far down my list of priorities (wife, kids, grandkids, family, work, etc.)

Sorry (not sorry) you let something completely out of your control, control you.
    It doesn't control me. But it is a free country and if something is shitty, I have no problem criticizing it. Its now the off-season so everything will be under a microscope again. My list of priorities also doesn't include what Paton does. I was done with him after the Hackett debacle. I will celebrate when he is no longer in Denver. I will support like I always do regardless, but it won't be blind support and when something, someone or a process is shitty I will continue to voice my opinion whether you or anyone else cares. I also have plenty of stuff to care about and spending 15 minutes of my life trolling Paton on a Message board created for debating these things doesn't take away from that....

11. The Following User High Fived Elevation inc For This Post:

GEM

Adopted Bronco:
    DT you will be missed

Quote Originally Posted by Eddiemac87 View Post
    Baker mayfield ?
    Gonna get franchised in TB

Adopted Bronco:
    DT you will be missed

I should have clarified the decision to extend him was made when they traded for him. Russ wasn't coming here and waiving his clause unless they agreed to negotiate an extension. The details were sorted in September though you are correct, and sadly ownership probably did buy off on it not knowing any better and wanting to make some noise.

Thanks for posting, this is what I recalled, that it was made clear that the ownership group was involved in the decision, and if I recall, they even touched on having the new QB in Denver for years to come, in one of the early new owner pressers.

"I'd like to thank Greg Penner and our entire ownership group for the support and resources to get this long-term extension done."

Adopted Bronco:
    Baron Browning, Jaleel McLaughlin

Nobody puts Inc in the corner! Nice try, Joe.
    “When we do find that guy, we’ve got to have the continuity on the offensive side to where we can train him and develop him and get him there. This is our fourth offense in probably three or four years. Quarterbacks need to be developed. You don’t find one ready-made. We got to have a solid system in place for when we do go after whatever guy it may be, a young guy or a trade or whatnot.”
    - John Elway

16. The Following User High Fived dogfish For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Kendall Hinton!

Quote Originally Posted by dogfish View Post
    Oh, he's cornered!

18. The Following User High Fived BroncoJoe For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Phillip, Demaryius, Derek, Shane, Von,

Default Examining Why Broncos' GM Extended Russell Wilson so Early

Why did Denver Broncos' GM George Paton pay Russell Wilson before he ever played a down in Orange and Blue?

Article - https://www.si.com/nfl/broncos/news/...aton-reasoning

Adopted Bronco:
    DT you will be missed

Quote Originally Posted by dogfish View Post
    nobody....

21. The Following 2 Users High Fived Elevation inc For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Mighty Quinn

If I were GM the Broncos would have 3 franchise QB’s and zero ILB’s.
    "Tuning ... into each other ... lift all higher”
    “I’m just different!”
    “ . . . Picture a cup in the middle of the sea”

Draft
    1st round— Cooper Dejean CB
    2nd round— Jack Sawyer OLB
    3rd round— Will Shipley RB
    4th round— Ricky Pearsall WR
    5th round— Ladd McKonkey WR
    6th round— Cash Jones RB
    7th round— Carson Steele RB

23. The Following 3 Users High Fived Simple Jaded For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    PS2

Quote Originally Posted by Denver Native (Carol) View Post
    Why did Denver Broncos' GM George Paton pay Russell Wilson before he ever played a down in Orange and Blue?

Article - https://www.si.com/nfl/broncos/news/...aton-reasoning
    So another speculation article. No real answers here. All I can say is, guys with no-trade clauses rarely ever agree to a trade without the understanding of a new contract on the table beforehand. That’s their one ace-in-the-hole.

“Tact is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip.” -Winston Churchill

25. The Following User High Fived HORSEPOWER 56 For This Post:

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information