Thread: So, I Have Questions

Default So, I Have Questions

I’m back to being a little concerned that Sean Payton may not be long for the Broncos’ job. He seemed to throw in the towel pretty quickly yesterday, even before the game was out of hand. He had to know that the Broncos’ defense was overmatched and pretty much helpless against the Lions, which made his lack of aggressiveness on offense perplexing.

If anybody was at the game yesterday, did any of the players on the field try to convince SP to throw the challenge flag on either of the goal line plays? Also, besides the fiery exchange between Wilson and SP how was his body language throughout the game. It seemed like every time we saw him on the TV, he had a sly little smile or smirk on his face. There could be nothing to it, and maybe he figured out pretty early on that this was going to be ugly, but he made some head scratching decisions yesterday.
    “If there are no animals in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.” - Will Rogers (paraphrased)

Adopted Bronco:
    Mighty Quinn

Before this loss SP had been getting Coach of the Year hype, I’m far more confident in the HC than any other thing pertaining to the Broncos.

He’s an elite HC, an elite play-caller and the best thing going for a team careening towards utter mediocrity and further insignificance. I’m not sure why he wouldn’t be long for the Denver Broncos but it isn’t because he’s in any danger of getting fired. He may very well see this iteration of the Broncos going absolutely nowhere but to 9 and 10 win purgatory and decide to quit again, but he’s the long-term answer otherwise.
    "Tuning ... into each other ... lift all higher”
    “I’m just different!”
    “ . . . Picture a cup in the middle of the sea”

Draft
    1st round— Cooper Dejean CB
    2nd round— Jack Sawyer OLB
    3rd round— Will Shipley RB
    4th round— Ricky Pearsall WR
    5th round— Ladd McKonkey WR
    6th round— Cash Jones RB
    7th round— Carson Steele RB

3. The Following User High Fived Simple Jaded For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Mighty Quinn

As for yelling at RW; maybe he’s just getting sick of watching Dude completely ignore (or not be able to see) wide open TD’s.
    “I’m just different!”

Draft
    6th round— Cash Jones RB

Quote Originally Posted by Simple Jaded View Post
    Before this loss SP had been getting Coach of the Year hype, I’m far more confident in the HC than any other thing pertaining to the Broncos.

He’s an elite HC, an elite play-caller and the best thing going for a team careening towards utter mediocrity and further insignificance. I’m not sure why he wouldn’t be long for the Denver Broncos but it isn’t because he’s in any danger of getting fired. He may very well see this iteration of the Broncos going absolutely nowhere but to 9 and 10 win purgatory and decide to quit again, but he’s the long-term answer otherwise.
    Oh, yeah, I should clarify. My assumption is that, if he left, it would be his choice.
    “If there are no animals in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.” - Will Rogers (paraphrased)

Adopted Bronco:
    Mighty Quinn

Quote Originally Posted by spikerman View Post
    Oh, yeah, I should clarify. My assumption is that, if he left, it would be his choice.
    I can see him doing it again, he’s a bit of a flake, me thinks.

I think he’s in it for the long hall, you’d hope the Walton’s vetted that much.
    “I’m just different!”

Draft
    6th round— Cash Jones RB

Adopted Bronco:
    Mighty Quinn

What if the Broncos traded SP though? That’d be nuts.
    “I’m just different!”

Draft
    6th round— Cash Jones RB

Quote Originally Posted by Simple Jaded View Post
    I can see him doing it again, he’s a bit of a flake, me thinks.

I think he’s in it for the long hall, you’d hope the Walton’s vetted that much.
    I really hope he is too.

9. The Following User High Fived spikerman For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Ray Finkel

Quote Originally Posted by spikerman View Post
    I’m back to being a little concerned that Sean Payton may not be long for the Broncos’ job. He seemed to throw in the towel pretty quickly yesterday, even before the game was out of hand. He had to know that the Broncos’ defense was overmatched and pretty much helpless against the Lions, which made his lack of aggressiveness on offense perplexing.

If anybody was at the game yesterday, did any of the players on the field try to convince SP to throw the challenge flag on either of the goal line plays? Also, besides the fiery exchange between Wilson and SP how was his body language throughout the game. It seemed like every time we saw him on the TV, he had a sly little smile or smirk on his face. There could be nothing to it, and maybe he figured out pretty early on that this was going to be ugly, but he made some head scratching decisions yesterday.
    No idea, i didnt bother watching the 2nd half as i knew the team just wasnt up for the task Sat. But i came across this article this morning which raised my eyebrows a bit. I had seen other posters mention Sean didnt seem prepared (which is odd considering how much is on the line). Then again, maybe the issues with RW are growing but i think we can all pretty much agree Russ wont be here next year regardless, just too much money is invested in a QB playing average ball right now.

Keeler: Broncos coach Sean Payton didn’t just quit on his team. He quit on Broncos Country during a playoff chase. (msn.com)

The frustrating part of the sequence is that after a bogus offsides penalty on guard Quinn Meinerz turned multiple touchdowns into fourth-and-goal at the Lions 5, Teflon Sean, down 21 to a good team, elected to kick a meaningless 23-yard field goal.With 46 seconds left in the third quarter.
    On the road.

Against an offense that your defense had shown few signs of stopping.

The frustrating part of the sequence is that, although Payton had 15 minutes and change left to play with, instead of throwing a red flag, the man threw in the towel. With his 7-6 team in the middle of a playoff chase.

“Yeah, that was tough,” Broncos right tackle Mike McGlinchey said of the Lions’ 42-17 whupping.
    “I don’t know that it had any bearing on the outcome of the game, but yeah, you’ve got to punch that in. You can’t leave that up to a judgement call. You’ve got to make that clear and obvious and get that done (in the red zone).”

Adopted Bronco:
    Baron Browning, Jaleel McLaughlin

Dude best not quit on us after we traded multiple high picks for him.
    “When we do find that guy, we’ve got to have the continuity on the offensive side to where we can train him and develop him and get him there. This is our fourth offense in probably three or four years. Quarterbacks need to be developed. You don’t find one ready-made. We got to have a solid system in place for when we do go after whatever guy it may be, a young guy or a trade or whatnot.”
    - John Elway

12. The Following 2 Users High Fived dogfish For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Taysom Hill

A few thoughts:

1.) Sean Payton has a weird resting mouth that makes him look like the Joker -- several times throughout the year people have questioned why is he smiling or why does he have a wry grin -- and I'm here to tell you he is not smiling, nor grinning. He does this weird nervous tick thing where he purses his lips. If you watch him in press conferences he does it a lot. Maybe it's botox? I'm being 100% serious here, it's something I've noticed that people latch onto a lot.

2.) This guy is an egomaniac. He loves to hear himself talk. He loves to alpha everybody in the room. He thinks the media are inferior to him. He is best friends with Wayne Gretzky and has his own Jordan shoe line -- he has a very high opinion of himself. It's kind of a double edged sword because I think most of the successful NFL coaches have egos and it beats the alternative of a guy who doesn't carry himself with confidence...

3.) He clearly is walking a tight rope this year where he doesn't feel fully accountable to this roster. At times you have seen him distancing himself from this bunch, or seemingly deflecting blame, and other times he's taking credit. It's a bit of a convenient excuse, so I'm eager to see him in year 3 or 4 when the roster is fully his and there are no excuses.

Overall I am still happy we got him - he has laid solid foundations on offense and special teams, which is where we needed overhauls. I trust him as a play caller, game planner and game manager, which I couldn't say of our last three coaches. But at some point the whole prickly know-it-all routine grinds everybody down if you're not winning (see: Bill Belichick).

14. The Following 6 Users High Fived Buff For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Buff View Post
    A few thoughts:

1.) Sean Payton has a weird resting mouth that makes him look like the Joker -- several times throughout the year people have questioned why is he smiling or why does he have a wry grin -- and I'm here to tell you he is not smiling, nor grinning. He does this weird nervous tick thing where he purses his lips. If you watch him in press conferences he does it a lot. Maybe it's botox? I'm being 100% serious here, it's something I've noticed that people latch onto a lot.

2.) This guy is an egomaniac. He loves to hear himself talk. He loves to alpha everybody in the room. He thinks the media are inferior to him. He is best friends with Wayne Gretzky and has his own Jordan shoe line -- he has a very high opinion of himself. It's kind of a double edged sword because I think most of the successful NFL coaches have egos and it beats the alternative of a guy who doesn't carry himself with confidence...

3.) He clearly is walking a tight rope this year where he doesn't feel fully accountable to this roster. At times you have seen him distancing himself from this bunch, or seemingly deflecting blame, and other times he's taking credit. It's a bit of a convenient excuse, so I'm eager to see him in year 3 or 4 when the roster is fully his and there are no excuses.

Overall I am still happy we got him - he has laid solid foundations on offense and special teams, which is where we needed overhauls. I trust him as a play caller, game planner and game manager, which I couldn't say of our last three coaches. But at some point the whole prickly know-it-all routine grinds everybody down if you're not winning (see: Bill Belichick).
    I get what you’re saying about the grin, I’m more concerned with not challenging critical close calls and, even more so, taking the field goal down 21 points. Not that they were going to win anyway, but that was just waving the white flag.

Quote Originally Posted by Buff View Post
    A few thoughts:

ROR @ #1, and I agree!

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information